Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 04:00 AM   #1

Modifying our DP for a large family!

I've been wanting to start this thread for quite some time. I don't see a lot of folks cruising the country in a DP with a large family! So, I wanted to share my mods to equip our rig for a family of 9.

First up was sleeping space for everyone. When purchased, it had the queen bed, and 1 fold out couch. Not gonna cut it. When looking at coaches, one of my requirements was a large floor to ceiling closet, that I could convert to bunks for our little kids.

Here's the original closet:

I removed everything from the space - doors, racks, hardware, etc. I then built a frame from 1X4s, and screwed plywood to the bottom of them, so the foam would fit down in, conserving as much vertical space as possible. I know a guy in the foam business, so I can get free foam in any dimensions. Here's the finished product:

Also added LED reading lights for each kiddo.
Note the fold-up bedrail to keep the upper two from rolling out in the night (DW's requirement):

This mod turned out great, and the kids think it's the best thing ever! They want to sleep out in the MH every night!

The second addition was another folding couch. Ours came with a small (ridiculously heavy) rotating chair - this had to go, as it was a terrible waste of space! We looked all over for a sofa - internet, Ikea, etc, till we finally pulled the trigger on this:
https://www.recpro.com/recpro-charle...-sleeper-sofa/

It was more than we wanted to spend, but it fit the bill exactly. The perfect size for the space, very comfortable, and added another 2 sleeping spots:

Next was the eating space. The little table and 2 chairs was woefully inadequate:

Even though it pulled out and could add 2 folding chairs, I needed a place for people to sit while in motion, with seatbelts. So, I set out to build a dinette. My wife and I spent a lot of time dreaming up configurations for this. A traditional 4 seat opposing dinette wouldn't work well, as it would block the hallway. So, we came up with an L-shape, that seats 5:

Once again, I was able to get free foam, but looked into upholstery - around $600! Yikes! So we decided to do it ourselves, using thin plywood backing and staples. We ordered the matching sofa material from RecPro Turned out pretty good!

The table is a butcher-block countertop, and I used this table bracket:

https://www.lagunusa.com/

It's nice, as the table rotates to make getting in and out easier, and to access under seat storage. It will also fold down for another sleeping space for grandma (!).
I've installed 7 more seatbelts, bringing the grand total up to 12! We are now ready to see the wild west, as soon as they re-open Yellowstone...
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 07:14 AM   #2

Great mods! I like the triple bunk setup that's really unique.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #3

Professional job.
Amazing what can be done to utilize space. Face it the traditional Coach is designed for two and a casual four. What you have done is amazing and the bunks look great. Each has his/her own get away space. Small book shelf in each? For treasures?
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #4

Great Job!

Lucky Kids

Think you are going to have some Fun - Just like you did on the Mods, Take hundreds of Pictures with the Kids - they just grow up Too Fast!

When you head to Yellowstone - be sure to Include Colorado and Water in your schedule - Kids Love the Water. - - -

Will be fun to follow your posts as this all moves forward.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Small book shelf in each? For treasures?

And maybe privacy/blackout curtains?
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
If I only had half of your carpentry skills I would be happy. Neat job.

I hope that your seat belts are properly anchored, rather than just a "feel good" installation.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:00 PM   #7

Nice work OP!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #8

I like it! I have the same problem. We're a family of 5 and Class A MH's are pretty much all designed for just 2 people. I don't understand it. I was probably going to just get a bunkhouse travel trailer so it would have bunks for the kids.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4UPL View Post
I like it! I have the same problem. We're a family of 5 and Class A MH's are pretty much all designed for just 2 people. I don't understand it. I was probably going to just get a bunkhouse travel trailer so it would have bunks for the kids.
In just a quick search I found these - https://www.winnebago.com/models/product/forza - https://www.winnebago.com/models/pro.../class-a/forza

Then with a nother click - https://www.rvingplanet.com/mfg-thor...ass-a/37-dot-1

So they are out there - these and many others - used, might require a little more search time - but they are out there.

Still the OP has done a GREAT JOB!

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #10

Winnebago/Itasca Sunstar 31KE will sleep at least 5 or 6, 7 with the optional pull down StudioLoft over the front seats. And, it has seatbelts for 7. Ours is a 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4UPL View Post
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #11

Nice job.

How did you comply with seat belt law requirements. Now I know some states only require the front occupants to have seat belts but most require all occupants to be properly secured.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #12

Really nice work! Wish I was that handy. We got our Renegade Super C for a similar reason, meaning all the extra sleeping space. The big bed over the cab sleeps two adults easily, then there's the master, the sofa folds out and sleeps two, and the large (6.5') bunk beds sleep two. So technically we can sleep eight, although that would be tight quarters in any MH and I'm not in a hurry to try it.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Very nicely done! Necessity is definitely the mother of invention.
Hope you make many memories with your family....after all, isn't that what adventure is all about? Happy Trails
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DP for families

Nice work! I love the triple bunks. We our also a family of five that wanted a good used DP for under 100k. There are very few options out there. The ones with bunkhouses seamed to be for the occasional grand kid stay. We were very fortunate to find our Damon with BH just 30 miles from us the first week we started looking! I know, that's a crazy short time of looking but it just seemed meant to be. After owning our DP with 3 kids for a year and a half we couldn't be happier. IMO, these are the must haves (at least for us)-
1) Bunkhouse (of course)
2) Opposing couches behind the cockpit (better for sight-seeing and keeping an eye on the little ones.
3) Booth-dinette (preferably one that converts to a bed)
4) Main TV on the back wall (so you can turn around the captains for more seating with a TV view for movie night).

Very, very few 10 year old or older DPs have all these options. The Damon Astoria 3776, and the Tiffin Allegro Red BH edition seem to be the only good options. Maybe a couple others I missed but you get the picture.