Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2020, 07:38 AM   #1

Modular Class A. Built on Tesla semi. Interesting read.

I though this was interesting.

Enjoy.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...pt-149571.html
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting, coupled with enough solar it would be viable. Only concern is the requirements for charging, wonder how long it would take to charge on a 50 amp circuit?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Interesting, coupled with enough solar it would be viable. Only concern is the requirements for charging, wonder how long it would take to charge on a 50 amp circuit?
Good question. And I have no answer. But I can speculate. Our model 3 has a 75 KW battery and goes from about 20 to 85 percent ish on a V3 Supercharger in about 20 minutes. So if it has a battery 4 or 5 times the size then maybe 90 minutes...ish??? The test Semis are able to plug into more than one Supercharger at a time though so maybe half that in that situation. ?

At a standard 14-50 stove/RV plug like we use in our house or at our RV site we max out at 10 KW. So probably a 40 hour affair??? Depending on what charge you arrive with of course. That would work for us as we tend to spend 3 or 4 days at each location when we tour.

Kinda cool for the right travelling life style.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There's some physics here that have to be reconciled.

A vehicle weighing upwards of what, 15-20 tons takes a given amount of energy to move it down the road. Multiply that times the 500 mile purported range and that's a big chunk of kWh. Perhaps in terms of cost per energy unit it might be a bit cheaper than diesel or gasoline but no less the amount of motive energy. That'd be a lot to move through a relatively small electric pipe. Not every trip is 500 miles and not every trip requires a fast recharge so this is a plausible model for some applications. But there's no way you're going to have an RV park full of these things all maxing out their 50A service. If the idea ever takes off no doubt some parks will offer some charging sites and no doubt they will be metered to recoup the costs. An RV doesn't take advantage of the cost savings that an OTR truck would have so I'm not seeing a decided operational advantage other than having a killer house battery.

Solar? Sure, if you're pulling a trailer full of them the size of a football field. There's no more square footage on the top of this thing than any other RV, and folks today quickly max that capacity out with the addition of a residential fridge much less a 100kWh (more ?) battery. I often got that question when I was driving my EV around, "put solar panels on it and you'd never have to plug in". Sure, if I only took one trip a month which is about how long it would take a solar panel that size to recharge it. While electric has some interesting possibilities there's energy density in fossil fuels that's hard to dismiss. For now anyway.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a