Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Mold in Diamond Shield

Mold has formed under the Diamond Shield applied at Tiffin on the front of my 2012 Allegro Open Road. Is this a common problem over time with Diamond Shield? I just saw an advertisement requiring registration for warranty. If anyone else has had this problem, what kind of cost to strip & reapply? Thanks, new to forum.
Classmates51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2020, 05:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Very common. I removed mine myself. The only cost was a lot of time and many sore fingers.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
I bought a preowned 2016 and noticed it has spots growing under several places on the front. Talked to a body shop guy locally and he does not want to tackle the problem. I think I am going to take the stuff off and just be done with that stuff.
My days of cross country driving are pretty much gone now anyway. Too old and knees and back cannot take the stress.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:08 AM   #4

I would think Tiffin would have a record of the install. I would figure $1500-2000 to remove and replace. Many will not replace it but it does save the paint. Mine was beautiful after removing the film but now looks pretty beaten up.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very common problem. I removed ours last summer. Overall working about 2-3 hours a day it took 6 days. Looks beautiful underneath when you get finished. There are some YouTube videos available to watch. Search Ugly Shield removal and you should find videos from a company that used to be in Ft. Myers, FL. One of the owners is Wayne and he made quite a few videos on removing it yourself. Very detailed. I followed his instructions and it went really well.3M also makes a shield and he explains the difference in removing both of them.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:35 AM   #6

Diamond Shield Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classmates51 View Post
Mold has formed under the Diamond Shield applied at Tiffin on the front of my 2012 Allegro Open Road. Is this a common problem over time with Diamond Shield? I just saw an advertisement requiring registration for warranty. If anyone else has had this problem, what kind of cost to strip & reapply? Thanks, new to forum.
Had same issue with My 2012 Allegro Open Road. Cost to remove was quoted at $1500. I removed it myself in about 6-hours of patient work. Used a steamer and pulled off in section about 4x4. The more difficult part was glue residue. Read everything on internet, forums, and utube. 3M, GooGone, WD40 we’re useless. Finally used RAPID REMOVER with plastic razors from Amazon. Took me 4-days, making sure area was wet while scrapping. Used paint thinner on rag to wipe area clean afterwards (cloth dust and fine particles of glue left). Took about 4-days of working off and on. Polished after. Now looks brand new. Will keep waxed, used wet wipes after each days travel to keep clean, and refused dealers offer of $2500 to replace DIAMOND SHIELD JUNK. This happens to everyone with Diamond Shields AND 3M. Don’t understand why Tiffin continues to put this on their RVs. Problem is fixable. You can do it, or pay to have it done.
CSTARK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:46 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Diamond Shield normally will peel off with a little help from the Sun. Point it South, let it get good and hot and start peeling.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTARK99 View Post
Had same issue with My 2012 Allegro Open Road. Cost to remove was quoted at $1500. I removed it myself in about 6-hours of patient work. Used a steamer and pulled off in section about 4x4. The more difficult part was glue residue. Read everything on internet, forums, and utube. 3M, GooGone, WD40 we’re useless. Finally used RAPID REMOVER with plastic razors from Amazon. Took me 4-days, making sure area was wet while scrapping. Used paint thinner on rag to wipe area clean afterwards (cloth dust and fine particles of glue left). Took about 4-days of working off and on. Polished after. Now looks brand new. Will keep waxed, used wet wipes after each days travel to keep clean, and refused dealers offer of $2500 to replace DIAMOND SHIELD JUNK. This happens to everyone with Diamond Shields AND 3M. Don’t understand why Tiffin continues to put this on their RVs. Problem is fixable. You can do it, or pay to have it done.
Agreed....Steamer - Plastic Razor Blades (change them out often), and then use Rapid Remover to remove any remaining residue.

I estimate it took me about 40 hours to remove mine. A lot of trial and error. At the end of the day, Steamer and Plastic Razor Blades (disposable and plenty) were the KEY!
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #9

Havent done the RV yet but did the DW's car.
X2 plastic razor blades, 3M adhesive remover in spray bottle and from time to time I borrowed a hair dryer from someone

Took a couple days but came out nice. Not looking back

good luck,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Removed Diamond Shield

I just had the diamond shield removed from my 2017 HR Vacationer because of all the mold under the film. Applied Film in Dover Fl removed it and it looks great again. Glad it is gone.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
$1,800 - $2,400 to remove plus an additional $2,500 - $3,000 to install new. (Recent pricing from large RV dealer in East Texas)
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:11 AM   #12

Ugly shield removal

I am just outside of Fort Myers right now and there is a guy here that has a business called "ugly shield removal". You can probably guess what he does. Takes an afternoon and cost between $850-1000. He buffs out the front of the coach too. Looks like new when done.

Have fun
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classmates51 View Post

I failed to mention in my post, Wayne at Ugly Shield was charging an average of $850 for removal if I remember correctly. I think he mentions a price in one of his videos.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:53 AM   #14

Older post may help;

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/dia...-436641-2.html

It takes time and Patience but is worth the effort.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote