Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #1

Monaco Camelot Windshield Cracking

I am having with what I guess is a common windshield cracking problem on a 2006 Monaco Camelot. Progressive is saying they will not pay for windshield because it is a Monaco defect and Monaco issued a recall for the problem. Well, if there was a recall I never found out about it and of course, Monaco's bankruptcy ends any recourse of a resolve by them. I have searched all recalls and tech information, and can not find anything on windshields other than folks having the same problem. I trying to find out if anyone knows of a Monaco formal recall on windshield problems.

Body shop is waiting for a response from Monaco regarding the install of a "halo kit" that is supposed to correct this problem. Anyway, stuck between Monaco/Navistar, Progressive Insurance and my check book.
dovonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do a search on the forum. I have seen this issue addressed. Best of luck!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ask Progressive to give you a copy of the recall. They referenced it to get out of a claim, they should be able to provide it for you as proof.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #4

Then look at another insurance company !
Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Then look at another insurance company !
Progressive was wonderful on the replacement on my windshield. However I changed to MetLife and saved $1,600 per year on my premium.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I experienced the same issue with my coach windshield but Monaco was still alive and I was under warranty. I took my coach to the factory service center and they installed what was called a halo kit that reinforced the front cap overhead area then they replaced the windshield. The techs that did the work claimed the biggest part of the problem was the clearance around the glass with the glass contacting the frame in places causing the glass to crack. They "fitted" the new windshield by measuring the clearance all around the glass then added fiberglass or ground fiberglass away to obtain optimum clearance. This was almost 5 years ago and I've had no issues since (knocking on wood).
ON EDIT: I might add I was never shown or told of a formal recall as such but was told to bring my coach in and they would install the halo kit and new windshield.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I went to www.recalls.gov and found 4 recalls on your coach. Non of them had anything to do with the windshield or halo kit.

1) Aqua-hot or Hydro-hot
2) Headlight switch
3) Engine (Wrist pin seisure)
4) LP hose behind fridge

Make: MONACO COACH
Model: CAMELOT
Model Year: 2006
Manufacturer: MONACO COACH CORPORATION
Mfr's Report Date: MAY 12, 2005
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 05V223000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE:LPG WATER HEATER
Summary: ON CERTAIN CLASS A MOTOR HOMES EQUIPPED WITH VEHICLE SYSTEMS' AQUA-HOT AND HYDRO-HOT WATER HEATERS, WHICH USE WEBASTO BURNER TUBES, THE BURNER TUBES DO NOT MEET SPECIFICATIONS AND COULD FAIL PREMATURELY.Consequence:
THE SURFACE TEMPERATURE OF THE EXHAUST TUBE EXITING FROM THE HEATER CAN INCREASE AND COULD POTENTIALLY IGNITE COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS IN OR AROUND THE VEHICLE.Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE COMBUSTION CHAMBERS (BURNER TUBES) WITH A NEW ONE FREE OF CHARGE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MONACO AT 1-800-685-6545.Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Mfr's Report Date: AUG 11, 2005
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 05V366000 N/A
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS:SWITCH
Summary: ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES, THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH IN THE FRONT ELECTRICAL BOX/FIREWALL CAN OVERLOAD.
Consequence: CHANGES IN THE COMPONENT SUPPLIER RELAY REQUIREMENTS WITH AN UPDATED CONTROLLER WERE CAUSING THE HEADLIGHTS TO STOP FUNCTIONING WITHOUT WARNING. THIS COULD POTENTIALLY CAUSE A CRASH WHILE DRIVING AT NIGHT.Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW WIRING HARNESS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 30, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MONACO AT 1-800-685-6545.Notes:
MONACO RECALL NO. R05011. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236; (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Mfr's Report Date: JUL 13, 2007
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 07V311000 N/A
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINEDIESEL
Summary: ON CERTAIN MOTOR HOMES BUILT WITH CUMMINS ISL CM850 DIESEL ENGINES, THE CONNECTING ROD CONTAINS A MACHINING DEFECT IN THE WRIST PIN BUSHING OF THE ROD THAT COULD CAUSE A SEIZURE OF THE PISTON PIN.
Consequence: IF ALLOWED TO PROGRESS, THIS CAN LEAD TO ENGINE FAILURE WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF THE ROD RUPTURING THE LOCK CAVITY, OIL AND DEBRIS ON THE ROADWAY AND VEHICLE CRASH. Remedy: MONACO IS WORKING WITH CUMMINS TO RECALIBRATE THE ENGINE CONTROL MODULE AND ENHANCE THE ENGINE PROTECTION SYSTEM ENABLING IT TO PROVIDE EARLY DETECTION OF THE FAILURE MODE AND AVOID MORE SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE AND RESULTANT SAFETY HAZARD. CUMMINS WILL ALSO INSTALL A NEW VALVE COVER WITH A CRANKCASE PRESSURE SENSOR FREE OF CHARGE (PLEASE SEE 07E033). OWNERS MAY CONTACT CUMMINS AT 800-343-7357 OR MONACO AT 1-800-685-6545.Notes:
MONACO RECALL NO. R07007. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV. Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Mfr's Report Date: FEB 26, 2008
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 08V098000 N/A
Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE:LPG LINES AND FITTINGS
Summary: MONACO IS RECALLING 122 MY 2006-2007 CAMELOT AND HOLIDAY RAMBLER SCEPTER CLASS A MOTOR HOMES. THE RUBBER LIQUID PROPANE (LP) HOSE ON THE BACK OF THE REFRIGERATOR MAY HAVE EXTRA LENGTH OF HOSE. THIS EXTRA HOSE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PULLED BACK BY THE MAIN HOUSE CONNECTION AND SECURED. THIS EXTRA HOSE POTENTIALLY CAN BE DAMAGED BY HEAT FROM THE BURNER TUBE IF THE HOSE COMES IN CONTACT WITH THE BURNER FLUE.
Consequence: IF THE HOSE IS IN CONTACT WITH THE BURNER FLUE FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, THE HOSE CAN MELT CAUSING AN LP LEAK WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF A FIRE.Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REFRIGERATOR COMPARTMENT AND FOR EXCESS LP HOSE. IF THE HOSE IS NOT DAMAGED, IT WILL BE SECURED WITH A CLAMP AWAY FROM THE BURNER FLUE. IF THE HOSE SHOWS ANY SIGN OF MELTING OR FATIGUE, IT WILL BE REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 20, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MONACO AT 1-800-685-6545.Notes:
MONACO RECAL NO. 06030. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #8

Thanks you all for the input, especially "38 Special" as he went above and beyond. Botttom line of what I found out from Monaco Service and Parts when I talked to a person in each dept. is there ain't no recall. They did have a service going for a while that entailed the halo kit and that apparently was doing fiberglass and paint work to reenforce the windshield frame area. I was told it really did not really solve the problem and was discontinued. As for the insurance issue, there was a misunderstanding between me and the body shop. The insurance will cover the cost; however, Coach Glass, the glass manfacture will not warranty their glass because of the stress factor they say is is caused by the Monaco design problem. So, I have agreed to replace the windshield with the same orginal squared corner windshield and hope the hell for the best.

As I say, if you go camping and did not have a problem, you did not go camping. Maybe fellow RV'ers will gain a little knowledge from this discussion.

Thanks DOVONET
dovonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I had the windshield replaced because of rock damage, and that replacement had stress crack. Redlands is estimating $3800 which seems way too high. On the other hand, was the replacement I got in last year the cause of this stress crack which is now damaging the rubber holding the windshield in place. Any suggestions?
billandfran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco