RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco Step Issue

I have a 2007 Monaco Signature MH and the entry step won't retract. Fuse is good, just replaced step motor and still won't retract. Any suggestions? Anyone else experienced the same issue?
Doug Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Patton View Post
I have a 2007 Monaco Signature MH and the entry step won't retract. Fuse is good, just replaced step motor and still won't retract. Any suggestions? Anyone else experienced the same issue?
I was having intermittent retraction problems. Just solved it by pulling the two electrical connections apart, squirting all 3 electrical connections with electronics cleaner and reconnected them. I then thoroughly lubricated all the moving pivot points and cycled the stairs 5 or 6 times. I then checked that they worked properly with the ignition switch ON and the step switch in both positions which also checked the magnetic proximity switch.
OBTW, there should be two fuses on the 12volt fuse board. On mine they are the first two fuses next to each other. One for the stairs and one for the switch. I pull them both before messing with the stairs.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:09 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Doug-

Our coach's stairs did not work consistently. After checking for good ground and making sure the motor worked in both directions when detached from the gears, I replaced the stair controller. That fixed the problem.

Partial list of possible causes for stair problems:

1) Controller
2) Door switch
3) Motor
4) Fuses (includes no 12V power for whatever reason)
5) Wiring (includes bad ground)
6) Mechanism

The manual that for our 2008's stairs had a wiring diagram and troubleshooting procedure. Perhaps yours is the same. It took a while to find the correct manual online, as they are Coachtep stairs, and Lippert bought them out. Link to Coachstep support here. Your stairs could be a different manufacturer/model.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I just added this to the files manual section. Coach Step Installation, Operation and Service Manual

https://www.irv2.com/forums/download...do=file&id=339
Old 10-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mats on your Steps?

By chance do you have the indoor/outdoor carpet mats sold by Camping World and several other RV supply stores? I installed one on each step of our 2 step automatic step on our '07 Monaco Cayman. Everything seemed to work fine when I first installed them. Then after it was in storage for a few days with the steps retracted, I went to get the rig only to find the steps wouldn't extend. Finally determined the carpet mats had caused the mechanism to bind up to the point it could not extend. Ended up disconnecting the arm from the motor mechanism and manually getting the steps to extend with only great effort. Once I removed the top carpet mat it would move freely. We no only have a carpet mat on the bottom step and haven't had an issue for over a year.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Switch besides door limits when the steps retract. Can you push on the bottom step to make them retract? I just replaced a bottom slide that was binding requiring me to have to push the steps all the way closed. Here is my DIY replacement: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/rep...ps-509795.html
Old 10-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You need to search the forum. There a numerous informative posts on our steps.

I’ve spent many hours repairing mine. Replaced motor, module, and door jam magnet switch. The module can fail due to the solder lines on the circuit board corroding. I opened mine up to see solder lines broken from corrosion. Check for power at the two switches on the jam, not the ones in the door. They are just magnets. You can pull the two round switches out from the wheel well. There is also a fuse behind the switch inside the door under the passenger armrest, that allows us to keep the step out, whether the door is open or closed. Follow the wires from the back of the switch till you find a black fuse holder. Check that fuse.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #8

Check the door magnets. If they dont sense the door being closed, they wont allow the steps to retract. First make sure the surface is clean, then place a magnet over the frame side magnet. You could take the switch out of the frame and short the wires to test.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #9

I have a differend brand/make, however my not retracting problem was the yellow step controller wire that is attached to the ingition switch. I reached under the dash to feel if it was connected, when I moved it the steps retracted. Apparently this last year of storage allowed corrosion to affect the yellow wires connection.
Kwikee steps are always on, the switched leg is the ground wire.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco