Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #1

Money pit on wheels

I just bought this 1984 Winnebago. Well was told many lies. It sat for 5yrs. 2001 tune up was last done. I have spent thousands of money I just got from being hit by a truck. I have been living in a tent for two years. So, this is a blessing. But it's a shell. That's all. Every hose was dry rotted and every time I do something to get it road ready line a oil change and a tune up it made it 100 % worse. Now fixing the water pump. But can't get to it. Its a 454 big block Chevy 7.4 liter 1984 Winnabago. I'm about to leave it on the side of the road and go back to the tent. I'm a 47 yr old woman. Today is my birthday. Just praying these two guys can figure this monster out. Before I run out of funds to even be able to drive it and park it somewhere. Any ideas!!!!Any website that might show me these hidden issues it still has since tune up. Help!!! It reminds me of the movie that Chevy Chase is in. And his cousin pulls up for Christmas to visit.
Wakwap6618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Happy birthday! And you probably shouldn't buy any lottery tickets!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:28 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hopefully your two guys can figure it out.
The value of an old grey haired honest mechanic is priceless...but it sounds like that's what you need.
Wishing you a happy birthday and better days ahead.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #4

With an RV that is now 37 years old, I would hope that you didn't pay much for it. Most of the advice that I would give is really a little late now that you own it and have spent a lot of money on it. You need to get someone experienced with RVs and their maintenance to go over it before you spend more on it. With any RV of that age it is very easy to spend more trying to repair it than it will ever be worth.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:45 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum and Happy Birthday, also hope your guys can get you going.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #6

The fan shroud is a 2 piece it has staples that hold it together remove them the bottom half will come down at that point you can get to it it is a bear but can be done to reattach the shroud drill where the staples were and bolt together
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #7

First off, happy birthday. You should probably get in touch with Homesonwheelsalliance.org. It is a nonprofit run by Bob Wells from CheapRVLiving on Youtube. They have many, many avenues to help you. If you do happen to get some help from them please be so kind as to pay it forward later. You might also let us know where you are (general area) as there are lots of folks on the forum that may be able to help you out. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #8

I have sent you a private message with a phone number to contact Homes on Wheels Alliance (HOWA) emergency fund. I explained your situation somewhat and they said they may be able to help. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakwap6618 View Post
I just bought this 1984 Winnebago. Well was told many lies. It sat for 5yrs. 2001 tune up was last done. I have spent thousands of money I just got from being hit by a truck. I have been living in a tent for two years. So, this is a blessing. But it's a shell. That's all. Every hose was dry rotted and every time I do something to get it road ready line a oil change and a tune up it made it 100 % worse. Now fixing the water pump. But can't get to it. Its a 454 big block Chevy 7.4 liter 1984 Winnabago. I'm about to leave it on the side of the road and go back to the tent. I'm a 47 yr old woman. Today is my birthday. Just praying these two guys can figure this monster out. Before I run out of funds to even be able to drive it and park it somewhere. Any ideas!!!!Any website that might show me these hidden issues it still has since tune up. Help!!! It reminds me of the movie that Chevy Chase is in. And his cousin pulls up for Christmas to visit.
Well lets all start with Happy Birtday.

No one can predict all of the problems you will run into on any MH that is 37 years old.
I would expect almost every single item within this coach is due to be replaced and or require a major overhaul.

Roof and Seams
Tires and Brakes
Engine Tune Up
Gas will be bad!!!
Transmission Fluid and Filter
Plus every item inside this MH

This will cost much more then what the motor home is worth.

It would have been great if you asked these questions in this forum before purchasing this unit.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:22 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Mine is an "88, I keep it tuned and lubed, it does fine. You have to just get the unit looked at by someone that is old school. If the carb needs work.....WATCH OUT!
J
GOLDWINGER2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Sounds like you're not using it for travel , just housing. The sad truth , a little late I'm sure, is it isn't cheap housing and will continue to cost you money. More money than an economy housing/ apt would. Units that old are constant money drains with as others have said many systems and Maint items that will need attention and soon.
My advice is sell and take the lesson and move, if you can, to a low cost area of the country to live.if where you are is too expensive. Best wishes for a better outcome
Old 01-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #12

100% worse after tune up ??? Plug wires on wrong. Disturbed bad plug wires now 1 or 2 no good. Removed distributor cap and carbon brush in top damaged . Dropped a plug on ground didn't gap it again. Knocked off / broke vacuum hose.
I do almost all my own stuff for last 40yrs. Nearly half the time I have work done which is including exhaust , they broke something else, left something off , not stand behind their work.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where are you located?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
The value of an old grey haired honest mechanic is priceless...but it sounds like that's what you need.
Ain't that an understatement!
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money