Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

Monitor Panel on Winnebago

I am looking for ideas on the monitor panel of a Winnebago Journey DL 34 2001 model. There is a spring loaded rocker switch that allows you to check the charge on the house and chassis batteries. One switch, you just toggle it up or down for the appropriate battery. This might be very common on all motor homes or all Winnebago MH. Anyway, the house side shows a voltage which would appear to be correct since it is plugged into a 30 amp circuit… and charging. The voltage is 13.3. The chassis (or as I call them, the starting batteries) show nothing, just a blank. If I jumper from the house connection over to the chassis then the display shows the 13.3 volts as you would expect… this just shows me that the switch and display is working. Then I put a volt meter on the connection that (from the wiring diagram) is the chassis wire and I get only 10.19 volts. When I go outside and put the voltmeter across the chassis batteries I get 12.19 volts. I know the chassis batteries start the diesel up with no problem so I believe the 12+ volts are correct. It would appear that I am getting a voltage drop somewhere in the wiring. Now rather that spend a life time trying to find this, I was going to run a new wire from the chassis side somewhere and use it to monitor the chassis batteries. The wiring diagrams have not helped me find a logic (and hopefully close to the monitor panel) place to tie the wire in. Does anyone have experience with this? Most everything is in cable protectors. I am guessing I could pull it off a slide out motor (one is very close to where I need it). But maybe there is a better place. Again, any help would be great.
dlboarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

OK, here is what I did. I found that the chassis batteries drive the motors for the slides. In fact, when I checked the voltage of the starting batteries at the battery box, the voltage was the same as when measured at the slide motors. This was different than the house batteries. So, I connected (with a 2A fuse inline) a wire from that motor connection and ran it up into the underside of the vanity which is behind the monitor panel. This is the locations all the wires from the monitor panel come down to the floor and exit to the bottom of the motor home. If this is important to anyone, I can go into more detail. Anyway, at this point, I found the wire that was supposed to be carrying chassis voltage to the panel. I butt spliced in the new wire at this point and now everything works. Apparently the original wire had a break somewhere or something. The panel now shows the correct voltage for the chassis batteries and the house batteries are also correctly displayed. Done, got that off my list !!
dlboarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #3

Often a problem like yours can be traced to a poor connection. Whenever I'm checking a wiring issue, I always tug a little on the connectors and inspect them visually. You'd be surprised how often the terminal comes off or was clamped on the insulation instead of the wire.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago