Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AndySally...... It appears you investigate this course of action for the specific purpose of not paying to South Dakota tax moneys to which they would otherwise be entitled.

When you try to skirt the line between tax avoidance and tax evasion you walk a very fine wire. Ask the Wallenda family how that works out. What's your safety net?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
AndySally...... It appears you investigate this course of action for the specific purpose of not paying to South Dakota tax moneys to which they would otherwise be entitled.

When you try to skirt the line between tax avoidance and tax evasion you walk a very fine wire. Ask the Wallenda family how that works out. What's your safety net?

NHSO RVM103
Tax avoidance is perfectly legal and can be accomplished by complying with the laws of the OP's current state. Many who post about the Montana LLC automatically assume it is illegal. It is not illegal providing one complies with the laws of their state.

The Montana LLC is perfectly legal providing one complies with the laws of their state, properly document that compliance, and comply with any other residency and licensing requirements. It is no different than a taking a deduction on a federal tax return for the interest paid on a motor home, the sales tax paid on an RV, or the solar credit taken for solar panels on an RV. Those deductions are allowed providing one meets the legal requirements of the deductions. That's how the tax laws work.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
...... The Montana LLC is perfectly legal providing one complies with the laws of their state, properly document that compliance, and comply with any other residency and licensing requirements....

I agree. Compliance is the key. And proper compliance is often a thin silver wire embedded in a broad gray area. You have to observe it from just the correct perspective in order to see it at all. Else, corporations and individuals would not need to have legions of accountants whose sole function is to monitor and ensure that compliance.

I really care not what games others may choose to play. Personally, I'd rather relax, and not walk too close to the edge of the cliff.

NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 AM   #18

Just because it's legal doesn't mean that it is the correct thing to do. As for the attitude of "tough [Moderator Edit] if you don't like it I am going to do it anyways" there's a reason it's called a tax loophole. Good luck with it and if you don't get caught, more power to you. If you do get caught then don't be surprised if they throw the book at you.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #19

It's not like any of those deductions at all. If it were then no one would be talking about it and states wouldn't be looking for violators that have Montana tags on the motorhome and some other state on the toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Tax avoidance is perfectly legal and can be accomplished by complying with the laws of the OP's current state. Many who post about the Montana LLC automatically assume it is illegal. It is not illegal providing one complies with the laws of their state.

The Montana LLC is perfectly legal providing one complies with the laws of their state, properly document that compliance, and comply with any other residency and licensing requirements. It is no different than a taking a deduction on a federal tax return for the interest paid on a motor home, the sales tax paid on an RV, or the solar credit taken for solar panels on an RV. Those deductions are allowed providing one meets the legal requirements of the deductions. That's how the tax laws work.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #20

Just remember you can polish up a pig but it's still a pig!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:50 AM   #21

Montana LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Just because it's legal doesn't mean that it is the correct thing to do. As for the attitude of "tough [ moderator edit ] if you don't like it I am going to do it anyways" there's a reason it's called a tax loophole. Good luck with it and if you don't get caught, more power to you. If you do get caught then don't be surprised if they throw the book at you.
I think you may be missing the point here. If someone uses a Montana LLC and they have complied with the laws of their state then there is no book to be thrown at them because they are within the law. If, however, someone uses the entity to simply not pay the sales tax and they do not comply with the laws of their state then yes, they can have the book thrown at them and it will be costly. That is exactly what happened to one of our clients. He could have complied with the NYS law, but he chose not to and it was a very costly decision.

I am neither condoning nor condemning the use of the Montana LLC. It may work for some if they have the right set of circumstances. Many of us, myself included, do not see the Montana LLC being something that we can comply with the laws of our resident states and, therefore, will not use it.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #22

Quote:
It's not like any of those deductions at all. If it were then no one would be talking about it and states wouldn't be looking for violators that have Montana tags on the motorhome and some other state on the toad.

With all due respect, the use of the Montana LLC is exactly like the deductions I mentioned earlier. They are deductions that are allowed by the laws. The same is true if one complies with their own state's laws. It really is that simple.

As to the discussions about Montana LLC's, there is a great deal of misinformation about them. On the one hand you have those that think that all you have to do is set up the LLC and that's it. Voila, no sales tax and no worries. That is certainly not the case with the Montana LLC's. On the other hand you have those that think that the use of the Montana LLC's are illegal regardless of compliance with the laws of their state. Neither side is correct so that's why we have these discussions about every month or two.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #23

Montana LLC

After doing some research and receiving information from all of you, I appreciate all the Help, but it appears that the LLC will is to risky for us, so we will stay with the SD plates until we move to Montana.

THANKS
AndySally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think everyone ought to pay their fair share--but I have no problem with paying as little as possible under the law.

My question is why is the Montana LLC law written as it is? One would have to assume it provides some type of benefit to Montana residents and not just out of state RV owners.

I bought my coach from Louisiana and the PO had it registered under his business name. He said it was for tax purposes, but I don't see a lot of questions about Louisiana LLCs on the boards. It did take a little extra paperwork to transfer the title because we had to have the incorporation documentation to prove the seller was an authorized officer of the corporation.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #25

The LLC law was created in Montana just like it was in all the other 49 states and the District of Columbia. The difference is that Montana does not have a state sales tax and setting up the Montana LLC does not subject the owner of the LLC to any taxes in Montana other than the registration fees. I have also seen Oregon used and I'm sure there are a couple of other states that would be possibilities.

The key is that an LLC is a separate legal entity but it is not separate from a tax perspective. This means that I can set up an LLC in any state which will be separate from me as a person. So I can still live in NY, but technically my motor home "lives" in Montana from a licensing standpoint. The problem comes up with where the LLC assets are situated. Even though I have an asset, say a million dollar motor home, titled in a Montana LLC, it is still subject to licensing and residency laws of wherever I garage that RV.

This is exactly where my client got nailed with his Montana LLC. It was licensed in Montana but garaged in NY for more than 30 consecutive days. NYS knocked on his door and wanted money....a lot of money. He did not comply with the laws of NY and he could not document his compliance.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We could set up a WA LLC as WA residents. BUT we would still owe the about 9% sales tax (depends on the county you live in).
Besides that tax money goes to pay part of my WA state retirement so I get some back every month.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
I am one of those people that have a problem with the tax loophole of LLC registrations. I won't turn anyone in but you are using my states roads and Infrastructure and should share equally in paying for it. I didn't like paying $13k in taxes but I did.
I thought that the Gas and Diesel Fuel tax's paid for the roads and not property tax. I am not a resident of Calf.
Mel
Old 05-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
And, ESPECIALLY, a Driver's License in the pocket of the driver that does not match the State of one or both of the vehicles. In that situation, the only thing that needs to happen for you to begin your problems is to get stopped for a traffic ticket.

Additionally, what may be legal today could be different tomorrow. Sure, a Montana LLC is legal... it is the "home" State of the owner that is, on an ever-increasing frequency, figuring out how to collect taxes they think rightfully belong to them. In my opinion, that's just too fine a line to walk.

Maybe a lawyer can weigh in here and clarify but, if I'm not mistaken, the Montana LLC popularity began with RVers when someone actually had business to conduct in multiple states and the LLC was for profitable business (using the Coach to help accomplish said business) rather than just a shell in which to hold a vehicle. I would feel much more comfortable defending the first scenario than the second.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana