Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #85

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETLT View Post
Has anyone ever heard of or used a company called "All Day $49 Montana Registered Agent LLC" to create a Montana LLC for you? If so, how has it worked out for you? If you've used a different company and would recommend them, please let me know. Thanks!

I think this was answered. Just wanted to point out that you are in California and as you know they are aggressive about the littlest thing when it come to getting money out of you.. I will not do tax representation work for those of you living there because they want to tax me (living and working in IA) for the fees you pay....Lived there won't do it again..
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The trailer tags are on trailers used in interstate commerce. That's the big difference. The trailers are rarely "garaged" in only one state. Interstate commerce rules are different.
There are thousands that never leave the State of Maryland, owned by people only working in the state. -

Not NY so w=hole our taxes are high they still are less than NY
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
There are thousands that never leave the State of Maryland, owned by people only working in the state. -

Not NY so w=hole our taxes are high they still are less than NY
I think, and think is the operative word, that the idea is that the trailers are “supposed” to be in interstate commerce. I can tell you that some things in sales tax laws as well as registration laws make little or no sense whatsoever but they are in the statutes.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #88

Quote:
I think, and think is the operative word, that the idea is that the trailers are “supposed” to be in interstate commerce. I can tell you that some things in sales tax laws as well as registration laws make little or no sense whatsoever but they are in the statutes.
Operative thought here;

in....tax....laws make little or no sense whatsoever

Amend
Old 12-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #89

Are the tax assessors and IRS monitoring this conversation? If they are they are taking names and learning ways to catch some.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #90

following
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
Are the tax assessors and IRS monitoring this conversation? If they are they are taking names and learning ways to catch some.
The IRS could care less.

And most locals tax assessors have already Punched out for Christmas

Old 12-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
The IRS could care less.

And most locals tax assessors have already Punched out for Christmas

Yes, the IRS certainly does not care where you register your vehicles. BUT the state taxing aurhorities, including those that collect sales tax, personal property tax and vehicle registration fees do care where you declare your tax home with the IRS and don't forget, states and the feds share info.

Cheat at your own peril. There is nothing that makes a state bureaucrat's day better than to catch a cheater. And once they sniff you out, they're like a pitbull latching on to your arm. They never let go.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wnytaxman ,sorry I don't believe that for a minute! Tell me that uhaul or other homebuilt utility trailers aren't running Maine plates?

'06 Itasca Sunova 8.1/4l85e, retired 90 Dakota Convertible Toad, 2015 Kia Soul (SunovaToad)
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Wnytaxman ,sorry I don't believe that for a minute! Tell me that uhaul or other homebuilt utility trailers aren't running Maine plates?

UHaul and other rental companies are also interstate commerce. A trailer licensed in Maine, for example, may be based at some point in time in many different states. The logic for the Maine license plates on trailers is what I think, which is what I stated in my post.

What I do know is that trying to apply the same logic to the Montana LLC ownership of a motor home or any RV is faulty logic at best. If an owner complies with the laws of their state then they are fine. Ignoring the residency, sales tax, and licensing laws of one’s state of residency is done at the peril of having to pay the tax, interest, and fines.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #95

Tiffin Owners Club
Good ball

Quote:
UHaul and other rental companies are also interstate commerce. A trailer licensed in Maine, for example, may be based at some point in time in many different states. The logic for the Maine license plates on trailers is what I think, which is what I stated in my post.

What I do know is that trying to apply the same logic to the Montana LLC ownership of a motor home or any RV is faulty logic at best. If an owner complies with the laws of their state then they are fine. Ignoring the residency, sales tax, and licensing laws of one’s state of residency is done at the peril of having to pay the tax, interest, and fines.

You are using no logic at all. It is legal and has been used for 20 or so years. Just used your state rules on the vehicle being out of state . That is their legal rules and if you don’t want to save money then shut up and give it to your government.
drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwyatt View Post
You are using no logic at all. It is legal and has been used for 20 or so years. Just used your state rules on the vehicle being out of state . That is their legal rules and if you don’t want to save money then shut up and give it to your government.
The rules for residency, sales tax, and licensing all come into play. States need the revenue and will pursue it where they can. If someone complies with the laws of their resident state then their only worry is to document that compliance.

I’m not sure what you feel is legal for the past 20 years. What state is your state of residency? That is the primary question. Then look at the rules for your state. Some states, such as SD, tend to not worry about the Montana LLC registrations. Others, such as NY, CA, MA, and others are very aggressive in searching out those who do not comply with their laws.

I am neither a proponent nor an opponent of the Montana LLC. For someone to use the Montana LLC they need to find out the rules for their residency state. See if they can comply with those rules and document their compliance. If they can jump through those hoops then they can use the Montana LLC. If not, then use the Montana LLC at your own peril.
Old 12-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Somewhere around page 3, I posted as even “half timers”, I definitely met the residency rules of GA and paid $10K to GA. There was another post about a CA Newell owner (after paying for legal advice) payed CA $40K. Do you really think we would have paid $10K & $40K if we could have legally avoided paying using a MT LLC??? I didn’t have to pay for legal advice that I’m a GA resident after reading the rules for GA. I probably could have gotten away with MT tags as the MH is stored inside (cannot see the tag) when in GA and I own property in FL.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #98

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Somewhere around page 3, I posted as even “half timers”, I definitely met the residency rules of GA and paid $10K to GA. There was another post about a CA Newell owner (after paying for legal advice) payed CA $40K. Do you really think we would have paid $10K & $40K if we could have legally avoided paying using a MT LLC??? I didn’t have to pay for legal advice that I’m a GA resident after reading the rules for GA. I probably could have gotten away with MT tags as the MH is stored inside (cannot see the tag) when in GA and I own property in FL.
Parking in your instate garage is not legal. The laws say the coach must be out of state. You will also need records and receipts showing it.
The CA Newell owner probably broke the law by not following the rules. Even a sharp lawyer can’t show facts that are not there. I have seen on many sites where people had to go to court and those that had the records and met the law were ok. Some greedy states press people into court to validate if they are following the law. A lot get caught as they are not following the law. By just making a blank statement that some were caught does not make it against the law. Those that were following the law did not have to pay..
drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana