Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Only "breakdown" with two DSDP MH's over 13 years has been the fan control on our 2000 DSDP on FL chassis and CAT 3126. Called for a tow but before they got to my location FL support had me disconnect the wiring so the fan defaulted to high all the time. Cost me some fuel mileage though but I got where it was going. Then had it fixed under warranty later.
OOPS!!
Forgot about the bad starter in our present DSDP. Stuck right in front of the stick house. Called Coach-Net and they had a tow truck there in an hour or so, C-N also called and found a FL shop that said they could work on it right away. Had it towed there and the shop said it would be a WEEK before they could get to it. Tow driver then asked about towing it to Pacific Power. C-N agreed to pay for it too. Pacific Power had me out just after midnight even though they originally said they couldn't get to it for three days. Tow was just over $700 (C-N paid it all) and the starter and labor was $1002.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #16

got extra belts, fuel filters, air hoses for tires a good towing plan and all the skills for most projects.
Thanks
Muledeer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #17

no serpentine belt, but i do carry all the belts and know where they go
Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #18

Best advice So Far thanks, I will take a look soon, being a manager of maintenance all my working career in heavy hydraulics helps, i have seen so many ruptured HP hoses over the years from chaffing on each other, last year my cummins diesel in my pickup sprung a leak in an aluminum line from rubbing against the radiator frame.
Muledeer2
Old 09-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a low mileage coach (03 with 11000 miles) and found out the hard way that the u joints and drive shaft had never been lubed. So I suggest that saying the motorcoach had been lubed, also includes the drive shaft components.
kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #20

Yep I lubed it and all the u-joints if they don't take grease the fitting get changed and thanks for that piece of advice, also changed the gear lube in the rearend, just because LOL, it was changed 6k miles ago, but you never know.......until it's too late. The coach is older 1990 so I did belts hoses and the works, haven't changed the air brakes dryer yet but thinking i might.
Muledeer2
Old 09-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I lubed my driveshaft and U-joints last weekend. Spartan now says they should be done every 5,000 miles. Had to make one good grease gun out of two though. One I couldn't get the spring to pressurize the cartridge and the other had a bad end and wouldn't latch onto a zerk.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #22

Lubing the Coach

Mr. D as far as grease guns go here what I have done, go out and purchase a lincoln air powered greae gun then add a air connection to your on board air system and a 50ft hose. It makes lubing so much easier and I actually enjoy doing it now. This also allows me to air up my tires and blow the dust off of stuff, add a impact wrench and some impact sockets and you can do almost anything, I also carry an air powdered hydraulic 20 ton jack for lifitng the coach.
Just a tip
Muledeer2
Old 09-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Regarding the brake service comment by Barb, it raised a question I am curious about. What life expectancy would one typically get from a DP MH with supplemental braking (exhaust/jake..)

Chris
We sold our 1991 Beaver Marquis in March this year.We had it for 19 years and put 155,000 miles on it. The brakes were still at 65-75% when it was inspected in March. Brake wear is totally dependent on how you drive. I always used the Jake and tried to drive 1/4 mile ahead of vehicle. When I'd see traffic slowing or a red light ahead, I always immediately start to slow down using the Jake brake, and apply the coach brakes early enough to avoid hard stops.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel