Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Victor, ID to Jackson, WY on 22. 1st gear foot on the floor going up, 1st gear exhaust brake and service brake coming down. Better to spend a few minutes and enjoy the beautiful scenic drive thru Alpine and Hoback.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #16

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Victor, ID to Jackson, WY on 22. 1st gear foot on the floor going up, 1st gear exhaust brake and service brake coming down. Better to spend a few minutes and enjoy the beautiful scenic drive thru Alpine and Hoback.
I was going to mention this road too. That 11% grade will bring any RV to it's knees going up and sweaty palms to the driver going down. Sure makes one appreciate a flat road.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
X2 on not using Teton Pass! [emoji4]
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #18

In Washington don't take the rv up to Sunrise in Mount Rainier National Park, but defiantly drive the towed up there if your in the area, especially if you can get up early and beat the sun up.

P.S. if it's a clear day.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Just to keep readers form any confusion.
In Arizona, Prescott to Flagstaff via Sedona is US89-ALT or 89A where US89 is Prescott to Ash Fork.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Do NOT try driving through the Smokey Mountains from Gatlinburg to Cherokee (US441).
That is a bad mountain to cross, but have seen big MH's go across it, we always that the liberty.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #21

what kind of tow brakes you have? I have ready brake on my j#6000 avalanche and set on 5 for every thing was good till went to charlotte raceway going down hill with so many curves tow brakes heated.. I do stop a lot and check a lot and front tires and wheels where hot on avy to put ready brake to 3 all good. just letting off the gas if you have your jake on will activate brakes if set to heavy.... just a lesson I learned nobody told me..
Old 04-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I have Airforce One, they work very well
RCouttolenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
what kind of tow brakes you have? I have ready brake on my j#6000 avalanche and set on 5 for every thing was good till went to charlotte raceway going down hill with so many curves tow brakes heated.. I do stop a lot and check a lot and front tires and wheels where hot on avy to put ready brake to 3 all good. just letting off the gas if you have your jake on will activate brakes if set to heavy.... just a lesson I learned nobody told me..
Ready Brake is basically a surge brake. Had one on a dolly years ago and the brakes were smoking by the time I descended Teton Pass into Jackson. It's the main reason I won't run one again. They are great for the flat land and moderate hills, but long mountain grades can be hard on them. My M&G works much better and only when I use the foot brake.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #24

adjusted right mine works like a dream and towing 6g. driving styles may affect.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
Just to keep readers form any confusion.
In Arizona, Prescott to Flagstaff via Sedona is US89-ALT or 89A where US89 is Prescott to Ash Fork.
And the 50' max length signs on portions of 89A should be taken seriously. I have lived in the SW mountains for 50 years and know how to drive tight, twisty steep roads and I would never drive our coach between Flag and Sedona or through Jerome.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #26

Get yourself a Motor Carrier's Atlas at your local truck stop. In it you will see the highlighted routes approved for 18 wheelers. If the road isn't highlighted then I don't drive it if I haven't been on it before.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Do Not take your rig from the 101 across the mtns. to HYW 1 from Geyserville to Stewarts Point on the California coast. I did this towing my car, pretty much crapped my pants. DW was going to sell the coach after that bone head move. It was kinda like taking the MoHo on "The road to Hana." Geeze live and learn.

Tags
class a, tow