RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #15

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

A few initial observations:

1. Interesting that only one mentioned the MH's brakes. Perhaps we just take brakes for granted. Of course, if the brakes are not working, you won't be driving anywhere. However, I take it as a good sign that very few posts on iRV2 cite problems with brakes. At least according to my suspect memory.

2. The majority of posts above cite tires or tire safety related enhancements (TPMS, steering stabilizers, Tyron system), many of which relate to our natural deep concern of front tire blowouts.

3. Two mention seat belts. I was surprised at that because use of seat belts seems to get a low priority. That could be a completely erroneous supposition on my part.

4. The last post mentioned fire extinguishers. Very apropos given the recent recall of Kiddie fire extinguishers. Kidde Product Alerts
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Tire pressure monitor and toad braking system.
Beyond the OEM installed systems, both of these were very high on my list of required items.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #17

Driving- Brakes and tires for sure
Camping- fire extinguisher(s) and smoke detector

The biggest concern when camping is a fire, started from a propane fired device. I am always looking at rv salvage yards (online) for small parts and see too many burned out units. We carry two ten pound fire extinguishers along with the inadequate two pounder that came with the coach.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maik View Post
Driving- Brakes and tires for sure
Camping- fire extinguisher(s) and smoke detector

The biggest concern when camping is a fire, started from a propane fired device. I am always looking at rv salvage yards (online) for small parts and see too many burned out units. We carry two ten pound fire extinguishers along with the inadequate two pounder that came with the coach.
Thanks, I need to give more thought to fires and fire-fighting. Where do you position your fire extinguishers, Maik?
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #19

seat belts and air bags like our cars
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #20

I keep one fire extinguisher (2 lb) in the front inside. The other two are in the first luggage door on the passenger side. That compartment is for tools and parts/ filters. When parked at camp sites we have one of the ten pound ext outside by the BBQ which is also close to the water heater.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #21

Yep......fire extinguishers are a must

One by side of bed
One between chairs in living area
One by front door

Useful for one reason.......to GET OUT OF RV

Once out-----no need for an extinguisher cause it is too hard to use while RUNNING
And RUNNING away is what everyone should do.

If you have never fought a FIRE.....an RV Fire is NOT one to learn on
If you have fought a FIRE you know what I mean
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #22

The most important item for me has been my EEZ TPMS. Has saved my butt four times of the past 2 years. The most recent one was 2 weeks ago when my value stem failed. I was able to get it fixed and without incident.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #23

Count me as one who considers the brakes most important. IMHO, if there is any time you are unable to stop, in traffic, going down a steep hill, etc. there will most likely be serious consequences. After getting our "new to us" 20+ year old MH, and before our annual coast to coast trip, that was the first thing I worked on. I replaced everything except the front calipers/pads that had been replaced recently. Then new tires, and on, and on, until everything I thought was critical was checked and/or replaced.

With fires, IMHO, if they can be extinguished while they are small that would be my choice. If not, I would agree it is best to get away from them. Nothing in the RV is more important than your life, and there are things there that can go boom in a big way.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #24

Kind of an open ended question considering an RV can be stationary with people sleeping in it or rolling down the highway at 60.

While rolling I'd say all the basic safety/running gear things - brakes, tires, etc, etc. Basically, have a safe, road worthy coach.

While sitting - without a doubt, smoke/CO/propane detectors. All the things we do to prevent problems, the detectors are the only thing that help us when things go wrong. Of course, good maintenance is key but those detectors will save your bacon when things go wrong.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety