Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #15

Mountain Aire hands down.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Do a lot of shopping. The ones we really liked were $40,000 plus and we got lucky and found a 2007,36' with 32,000 miles on it with a book value of $47,000 and only paid $32,000 for it. Beautiful paint with a couple of scratches other than the one I put on it learning how to drive in the driveway. I was watching real close so I didn't hit anything and caught the gutter on my patio. There are a lot of them out there so don't fall in love with the first one you see and don't buy it from a dealer.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The floor plan is the biggest issue. We want the TV across from the seating.

That was one of our top 5 must haves, the adventurer 38J hit all of our wants the best. The pic I posted was a new adventurer model with L shaped couch TV at eye level, fireplace, washer/dryer/ large kitchen, etc. If you can scrimp a bit on the glitz and go more for function over form I think you might be impressed.

BTW The adventurer I own is my 6th coach and first Winnie product. I had a Newmar DP before this and I must say that the engineering on the winnebago is actually very very good. Probably matches or slightly exceeds the Newmar altghouh the Newmar wins on the fit and finish award.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
The floor plan is the biggest issue. We want the TV across from the seating.
Look at the Thor Challenger 37K floorplan. Three rooms, king bed, seperate dining area, plus a fireplace. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
It's not the manufacture, it's what makes you happy.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Just keep in mind, the things most consider as adding luxury, tile floors, solid surface counter tops, solid wood cabinetry and larger size, also ad weight. We had a very nice 36' MH some years ago but I was always afraid to take it out west (mountains). Between our loaded weight and the weight of a toad... It did well in the flatlands of the Midwest.

There are a lot of great gas coaches out there but if you're truly going to be driving it every month, a diesel will be very happy, and will give you more options.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma View Post
Not to quibble, but…if you do 400 mile days thats ~2k miles per month. ~24k per year! The average is 5-7k per Year! Thats quite a bit of driving IMO.

He's talking about full-timing and moving the rig 4-6 times a month, which is about what we do. We average 500 miles a MONTH or about 5000-6000 miles per year. This seems to be about the median for most full-timers that we meet.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Just keep in mind, the things most consider as adding luxury, tile floors, solid surface counter tops, solid wood cabinetry and larger size, also ad weight. We had a very nice 36' MH some years ago but I was always afraid to take it out west (mountains). Between our loaded weight and the weight of a toad... It did well in the flatlands of the Midwest.

There are a lot of great gas coaches out there but if you're truly going to be driving it every month, a diesel will be very happy, and will give you more options.
I have driven my Gas MH over the Rockies 4 times including the Canadian Rockies as well as Wolf Creek pass accumulating 60,000 + miles with only minor mechanical problems.
JUST SAYIN
r0n….

2004 MACA3781
ron & deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Own a 38 ft Newmar Kountry Star W 22. A Mountain Aire would be more posh, however, over the years we try to do one or two upgrades a year on ours and we are more than pleased. Yep, no issues in the Colorado Rockies, just be prepared to go real slow as it crawls to the top of a mountain pass. ( ask your self how many times is that going to be an issue).
Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Own a 38 ft Newmar Kountry Star W 22. A Mountain Aire would be more posh, however, over the years we try to do one or two upgrades a year on ours and we are more than pleased. Yep, no issues in the Colorado Rockies, just be prepared to go real slow as it crawls to the top of a mountain pass. ( ask your self how many times is that going to be an issue).
I absently agree with your very knowledgeable statement!

r0n….

2004 MACA3781
ron & deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #25

I just pulled into St. George Island State Park in Florida and the guy next door has a gas Mountain Aire motorhome. I don't know what year and any more details, but he said it has GM 465?? HP engine in it.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
New or used? Used makes the choices much more problematic. There are plenty of MH out there but getting the "right" one is more a matter of luck. If you wait for the perfect one you may never get one. If you buy the first one you can be sure that every one after that will be better than what you purchased (and for less money - Murphy's Law).

Buying used says to me that you can have an open mind to either gas or diesel. There will be more choice if diesel is one of your considerations. Consider a 35' gasser with 3 or 4 slides may not have a much room as a 40 diesel with 2 slides. As well the longer MH generally are more luxurious.

Most of the threads I have read suggest that the longer MH's drive better and have a smoother air ride, the ultimate being MH with a tag which are supposed to be wonderful. A longer MH may preclude you from a few campgrounds but you will never be able to stay at all of the campgrounds available.

It is a matter of functionality. You are fulltiming for a reason. Our reason is to do what we want and be comfortable. No hitches on a hearse and no armored car service to a cemetery so get what you like or rationalize within your price range.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #27

Local dealer has bunch on show (gas class A) at local mall ie Fleetwood, Holiday Rambler, Winnebago, Jayco. They all looked like poor cousins to our Tiffin Open Road.
Poorly finished cabinetry and lack of it, outside baggage door quality, unpainted baggage door handles, poorly integrated fireplaces, no electrical outlets on backsplash, non ducted ac return air, just to name a few.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
He's talking about full-timing and moving the rig 4-6 times a month, which is about what we do. We average 500 miles a MONTH or about 5000-6000 miles per year. This seems to be about the median for most full-timers that we meet.
Ahhhh, OK.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas