Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2022, 03:18 PM   #1

Motor home Broken Into. Ignition destroyed.

2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37C on Workhorse Chassis

In their unsuccessful attempt to steal my motorhome the burglars have completely destroyed the ignition (where the key goes in) and the trim in that area. As a retired engineer is this something I could fix myself without special tools.
They also pried open a window so until I get n the repair done I can’t secure it. They also entered the battery compartment and the batteries were completely run down
They also destroyed the lock on the entry door.
I’m beyond livid, but that doesn’t help
Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated

Dennis Underhill
In Las Vegas.
TheBrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If they didn't cut wires underneath it can be replaced. Take the ignition out, if the wires aren't connected to a wiring harness mark the wires, on mine the wiring on back of the ignition on part of the plug that can be detached.

Take the ignition to a lock smith and they should be able to install a new on with a key.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:46 PM   #3

You are in luck with the ignition lock cylinder. You will need a couple special tools to do the job. A steering wheel puller and a tool to depress the lock plate beneath a plastic shield which has to come off. Once the lock plate is depressed there is a lock ring which holds the lock plate in place. This ring has to come out and there will be a plastic piece with brass contacts with a spring under which will pull out.
You should see a metal piece on the right hand side of the bowl which must be depressed. This will unlock the lock cylinder and the lock cylinder will pull out of the column.
The new cylinder will pop back into place and the rest is reversal of the removal procedure except you won't need the steering wheel puller.
Your's should be a common GM column. With the exception of a couple variations they are pretty much all the same. Most GM product techs should have had experience replacing the lock cylinder. You might be able to get one to do this job for you. Anyone with any experience can do the whole job within an hour. They may have access to the tools or you may be able to borrow the tools from your parts store. The new ignition switch will come with two keys.
Note: There are no wires you will have to work with. It's only mechanical parts.
You might find a link on replacing the switch on U Tube or somewhere else.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:36 PM   #4

Sorry, in my last line I meant to say "Lock Cylinder", not "Switch".
There is a difference.
Old 09-25-2022, 03:05 AM   #5

My 2005 Travel Supreme was also broken into and the bastard/s must have had a master key or they were able to use the original brand key and their key fit and opened and relooked on exit. I believe they may have been after our dog! Nothing was stolen or ransacked but we feel so violated! We believe this person or persons were older teens or young adults. We have plastic backed paper in the area to walk in between the front Coach seats. These burglars poured a liquid **** big pancake size **** patty on our tile and grout floor. Who else besides older teens or younger adults would do such a thing?

How have any of you changed your locks out to more secure types? I am checking into security cameras and really bright exterior lighting with loud alarm sirens that will also call the authorities. I don’t sleep well now at all! My dog is still upset and anxious over all sounds. My dog was so upset it **** and puked everywhere in its crate.

As for your broken window I’d make a sandwich of sorts out of plexiglass over marine grade plywood or a phenolic man made wood that won’t break. I’d back that sandwich with a large piece of expanded metal grid like used on safety steps. You might check with Chevy for a repair manual and the wiring diagram schematic. Get really good information or have this repaired by professional workers. You have som many energized wires there you don’t want to risk any driving fires to save money. These RV’s burn up in minutes with all the flammable materials used to make them!
Thomm85n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition, motor, motor home