Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2022, 06:37 PM   #29

A Google for HD truck repairs Billings,mt shows lots of shops. Mid West might be interesting. If they won't work on a mh they may be able to recomend a shop. You could also call a local mh dealer and ask for a recommendation. You do not want a mh dealerto do the repair!! Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2022, 08:00 AM   #30

Garber Diesel Service, Versailles, MO shop with Amish mechanics that is cheap and quality work.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #31

Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Find out the cost in labor to replace the engine once one has been located. That would be a constant number to include for the overall cast to be made whole. As mentioned, a rebuild, if possible, or a used engine would be my choice with a coach that age. With it being in the hands of a Cummins facility, there is no advantage in having it shipped to FL. Best of luck in an unfortunate dilemma.
I am seriously looking at a used engine. Block is cracked on the existing engine. I know so little about mechanics but do you know that a crack block yes pretty catastrophic. The Cummins dealer that I have the motorhome at is quoting such a huge number for a new engine and even a rebuild is looking at 30,000+ parts etc. I am considering having it taken to an independent. Im going to try and engines that is exactly the same as mine so the swap out would be quite simple. Any advice?
RevRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRon View Post
I am seriously looking at a used engine. . Any advice?
Best advice I have is to check out the independent shops I suggested or also the one MO Fred suggested.

If you can't do it personally, maybe someone on this forum can suggest a shop.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:32 PM   #33

There are always quite a few used ISL 400’s for sale, but, it would be a miracle if any used engine would match your configuration, so, count on swapping various components off your engine, that is where a good mechanic comes in..
You can go on the Cummins site to find all info on your engine’s ESN #, CPL #, and ECM code, good luck..
Old 10-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #34

Quote:
I am seriously looking at a used engine. Block is cracked on the existing engine. I know so little about mechanics but do you know that a crack block yes pretty catastrophic. The Cummins dealer that I have the motorhome at is quoting such a huge number for a new engine and even a rebuild is looking at 30,000+ parts etc. I am considering having it taken to an independent. Im going to try and engines that is exactly the same as mine so the swap out would be quite simple. Any advice?
You've received some good advise. Best bet is to locate a reliable shop in the Billings area that has done engine swaps on motorhomes. As suggested the NW Forum is a good place to start. I'm sure there is someone in the area that could help as a go-between to get you connected with a reputable Independent shop. Billings has several commercial trucking businesses, so there is more than one that should be able to help you.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #35

https://www.piercerv.com/ these are good people, I would ask them about local shops.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:45 PM   #36

I would get it out to some independent shop as others have said, and if you get a long block or used motor or rebuilt, it will not require the stealer, I mean dealer internal tech work as much. Just a motor swap.

But on the flip side I am sure the storage bill is mounting daily which will not be forgiven if you pull it out so time to make a decision!!
Old 10-03-2022, 04:48 PM   #37

Fred. He is in Montana not missouri.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 10-03-2022, 06:53 PM   #38

disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post
So sad.

Keep us posted on the fix.

Should be able to rebuild in unit, as long as the block is not cracked.
Everything should come out the backend.
Good luck
Mark/Edmonton AB
Block is cracked
Old 10-04-2022, 08:15 AM   #39

To the op: Did you have any luck finding a hd truck shop?
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 10-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Block is cracked
RevRon, Have they confirmed the block is cracked with you via picture or some other form of verification? In my view, given the current market conditions and worker issues that mot folks are having, companies are resorting to more "blanket" statements. Case in point, several folks on this forum have had Cummins shops look at turbos and they ALWAYS recommend replacement. To the tune of ~$4,000 when it's evident to me (and some others here) that a rebuild is certainly possible or a simple part swap is possible (and MUCH cheaper). Seems to me that a cracked block is a catastrophic failure which would have presented some form of early failure indications. Blocks don't just crack. You would presumably have had an overheating issue, coolant in oil, leaks on the ground, loss of coolant, loss of oil, or some other indicator that would tell you something is wrong or going wrong. Even the 53 series Cummins (5.9L) blocks that had a known manufacturing defect where the rear of the block would crack and seep coolant were run for MANY miles and I don't think I've seen very many catastrophic failures.

As to your OP, you had a cloud of blue/gray smoke and the engine stopped. To me, a blown head gasket might do that, or you dropped an injector, or a valve, or something else.

I'm not saying it isn't toast, I just don't necessarily buy the "cracked block" story and I think it warrants further discussion with either the shop it's currently at or another independent shop prior to entertaining any discussion on repair or replacement. I just hate to see you get taken for a $40,000 ride.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:07 AM   #41

Disaster

One of the problems so they think they have you over a barrel because Im in Florida and the motorhome is in billings and I know nothing about this stuff.
Im looking at pudding a used stanchion in probably 20 to 30,000 installed
Old 10-05-2022, 09:14 AM   #42

You will not be able to solve your problem by remote control. You have an expensive investment and stated that the huge expense to install a new motor is not an option. You have not seen the damage. How can you possibly stay in Florida and find a good repair shop. Be proactive. Get back to Billings. Go to Cummins and discuss the options. Visit a few repair shops . Go to a mh dealer and ask who they use for Diesel repairs. Any other choice will surely become a nightmare. I am sure there are many honest and capable shops. But when they have never seen you face to face problems can occur. Have you seen your unit since it was towed ? I would want to be present when it is towed to another shop. I was a HD service writer in my youth. Dealing with someone needing expensive repairs over the phone usually invites difficulties.
2009 Silverado Toad

Tags
motor, motor home