Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2016, 06:22 PM   #1

Motor home going in for repair

We are bringing the coach in tomorrow for warranty work. I can see removing computers and boxes of tools when the coach goes in. How much do you trust repair people? Is theft a big issue?
threadbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've never really worried about it, but as a precaution I don't leave small valuables lying around... things that can be lifted easily, like GPS's and/or electronics, tools, expensive tire gauges, etc.

I also only give them the ignition key and a key to the bays. I have keyless entry, so I program a special code just for them and then delete it when I get it back.

It never hurts to be cautious, but you don't need to be paranoid either

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:55 PM   #3

I've never had an issue at any dealer (Freightliner/tire shops/RV dealer). If I had to unload every time I went in I'd go nuts. Someday I may get burned but like was stated above I just don't leave things laying around in sight.

I am interested if others have had issues. I always think about it when I take it in but worry more about loosing/misplacing something if I pull it all out.
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

Put things away and you can tape across doors to indicate opening maybe.

Ask the service manager how they handle security if it is parked outside and insist they have it locked 24x7 unless they actually are working on it.

Usually the talk with the service manager alerts them and requesting it to be secured will have it watched or secured better.

Take photos with your phone if you wish to document it.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #5

I had an rv entered and things stolen while in for service several years ago. Not by the service people but by criminals. They had broken into other motorhomes as well while parked in their parking area. I would remove any small items that are of value, lock all the storage compartments, and only give the repair shop keys to the areas they will need access to. I've never had an issue with the service guys.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #6

If I know we will have work that requires access to the tunnel from front to rear that is accessible via the bays, I unload everything from them.

Inside, I remove medications, booze, and a few of my higher end electronic items that are portable. But, I do this not because of lack of trust of the shop I'm working with, it is because I like having this equipment with us, and of course th booze and medicines come in handy too...

When we are not in our coach traveling, it is parked next to our home garage. We're not in a high crime area, but IMO I have just as much of a chance of someone breaking in and grabbing things here, as I would at the RV repair facilities that I frequent.

Pay quite a bit for full timers insurance (we travel over six months a year), and I do my best to not lo worry about the walking off of our stuff!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair