Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #71

The only Aquahot dedicated thread that I can find is too old to reply to, and I'm scared of getting yelled at for starting a new one ;-) so hoping there are enough Aquahot people here to help me.

A salesman told us that Aquahot doesn't dry the air causing dry skin, etc., like a propane heater. Is this true? He'd get just as much commission whether we get an all electric rig or not so I see no reason for deceit, but we all know the salespeople often really don't know their product, lol.
Teri G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #72

We leave our furnace setting on when traveling in the winter.
No problem with DC current draw.
As the electric and diesel burner are operated via thermostat call.
The burner seldom runs as the engine heats the boiler fluid.

I leave the thermostat settings wherever they need to be to keep us comfortable.
In the 20s I have them set at 74 usually.
Windy and 20 or below. 76 maybe.

There is a thermostat in the tank compartment that I keep on 50 or so.

When we stop I leave everything the same.
When the engine cools down the burner kicks on.
When on a ski trip i turn the engine heat pump on to keep my Cummins baby snuggly also so she starts happy and takes us home from Nubs knob, Highlands or Crested Butte , Monarch
Or Angel fire
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:00 PM   #73

All heating systems, Propane, Electric, Aquahot heat the air without adding any humidity. Thus if you are in a cold climate with cold, dry air outside, the interior of your coach will be very dry. Unless - you add moisture. Cooking, showering, etc.
Aquahot is like baseboard hot water - no moisture is added through the heating system. Nice system though.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer: Jeep Toad.
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrommaine View Post
All heating systems, Propane, Electric, Aquahot heat the air without adding any humidity. Thus if you are in a cold climate with cold, dry air outside, the interior of your coach will be very dry. Unless - you add moisture. Cooking, showering, etc.
Aquahot is like baseboard hot water - no moisture is added through the heating system. Nice system though.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer: Jeep Toad.
Propane furnaces will drop humidity levels fairly quickly in cold weather

The nice part of the others is they don't add or lower the moisture level
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Aqua hot prices under $7K??

Some have mentioned the cost of Aqua Hot and an after market install. I was told that it is about a 12K option now and everyone seems to agree and some say even more.

However just came across the following online add that seems to put that in doubt. Do not know what it includes, just passing it on for interest. The cost is less than on the invoice sheet on my 12 year old MH. (does not include install of course)

I have no contact with the company and do not have any personal connection, just passing it on for interest.

https://expressrvshop.com/products/a...ahe-450-diesel

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri G View Post
The only Aquahot dedicated thread that I can find is too old to reply to, and I'm scared of getting yelled at for starting a new one ;-) so hoping there are enough Aquahot people here to help me.

A salesman told us that Aquahot doesn't dry the air causing dry skin, etc., like a propane heater. Is this true? He'd get just as much commission whether we get an all electric rig or not so I see no reason for deceit, but we all know the salespeople often really don't know their product, lol.
That could be true but there are so many sources of moisture in a MH that it makes very little difference at least in my experience. It has never been been an issue for us, in fact the DW has a skin condition and has more problems in our S&B than the MH.

The Aqua hot does not heat the air directly but heats the boiler fluid. the fluid is pumped to various small radiators with fans attached. The fan blow the the air through and the output is warm air. No added or removed moisture from the air.

The salesman seems to have the facts backwards? If the propane heater dries the air wouldn't it cause dry skin instead??? Just wondering

Chris
Old 02-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Some have mentioned the cost of Aqua Hot and an after market install. I was told that it is about a 12K option now and everyone seems to agree and some say even more.

However just came across the following online add that seems to put that in doubt. Do not know what it includes, just passing it on for interest. The cost is less than on the invoice sheet on my 12 year old MH. (does not include install of course)

I have no contact with the company and do not have any personal connection, just passing it on for interest.

https://expressrvshop.com/products/a...ahe-450-diesel

Chris
At $100+ an hour for a tech, easy to see an installed price of $12000+. Running tubing and wiring to heat exchangers and tubing to engine, and installing an exhaust will take a lot of work. Depending on how your coach is constructed, could turn into a big, big job.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #78

You have a great coach...
My dad had 3 pushers...
The last two were Eagles...
A 98 or 99 single slide and an 05 quad slide...
Use the propane heat while driving is a non issue on a properly maintained coach...
Check out the generator...
It should not smoke...
You will need to use the generator to cool the coach in the summertime while driving...
My father took winter trips to Florida and used supplemental heat...
The 98/99 was propane...
The 05 was Aqua Hot...
My Wanderlodge has their own hydronic system that is similar to Aqua Hot...
The front dash heat on a 44 foot coach is useless without out a supplemental heat source, ie. the hydronic system.
Too much length to cool the heat from the engine...
Congratulations on a fine coach...
My father loved his Eagles...
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
At $100+ an hour for a tech, easy to see an installed price of $12000+. Running tubing and wiring to heat exchangers and tubing to engine, and installing an exhaust will take a lot of work. Depending on how your coach is constructed, could turn into a big, big job.
Totally agree. It would be a nightmare to run a double line 40 plus feet to the engine, then install lines to different zones and the rads and fans, lines to the fuel tank, electrical for 1600 plus watts etc. In fact I think a retro fit would be nearly impossible for the average DIYer. I'm glad the original owner on my MH sprung for the Aqua Hot option.

If anyone has installed one after market it would be interesting to hear how it was done - maybe need a different thread?

Chris
Old 02-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #80

Had the low cost Primus version in an old bus conversion. Basically a propane fired boiler back in the engine compartment with a passive coolant loop that went up one side of the bus and down the other through finned aluminum tubing. Coolant also went through an heat exchanger type water heater. Think the whole system was only about $1500, but he installed it when he was converting, so much easier. No engine loop though.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
I find myself wondering. I read the manual for the unit linked a bit earlier and I can see an install being pretty easy other then the registers and the water loops to/from them.
BobJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:48 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I find myself wondering. I read the manual for the unit linked a bit earlier and I can see an install being pretty easy other then the registers and the water loops to/from them.
Could very well be an easy install for you. Depends on your coach. On my coach, would not be easy, glad it was original equipment. I know just running wires from the battery compartment to the inside of the coach were a real PIA.

Tags
heat