Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #15

Ray.IN,

Actually engine speed does vary fan speed in the most common hydraulic driven fans. The pump out put varies with its speed and that relates to varying fan speed.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 11:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Ray.IN,

Actually engine speed does vary fan speed in the most common hydraulic driven fans. The pump out put varies with its speed and that relates to varying fan speed.

Jim

I don't know if they're all the same, but my old side radiator fan does vary speed up to a point. I guess as the fluid flow increases, so does the fan speed but it seems to hit a max at a certain engine RPM which probably is related to some maximum fluid flow rate or pressure relief valve, etc.
FWIW my coolant temp stays at 180 degrees regardless of conditions. The transmission temp stays at 180 also unless I sit at a red light for a long time then it will increase to about 200. I've also seen the transmission temp rise a little bit when climbing steep hills at slow speed within a state park, etc. I try to speed up enough to get torque converter lock-up in 2nd gear to prevent the temp rise but it's not always possible.
Apparently, the torque converter makes a lot of heat until lock-up.
Sorry if my post rambled on.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I thought all side-radiator chassis have a hydraulic driven(may be a electric too) cooling fan. If that is correct, RPM is immaterial to cooling fan speed. RPM does control water pump speed, which is more important.
You may be absolutely correct, but that does not help the OP.

All I know in our frequent uphill travels in the West Coast mountains these past 13 years from sea level to 7,000 feet in 70 miles, is that with the RPM's below 2000 rpm the water temp rises rapidly and can be reduced by keeping the rpm's above 2000 on my side radiator, Cummins equipped rig similar the OP's.

That was the message I was trying to convey to the OP.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver, heating