Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #1

Motor running to hot

I have a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton with a cat 350 hp pulling 2018 gmc 1/2 ton pickup before the gmc I pulled a Mini Cooper, in the hill are hot weather the temperature gauge will increase it not not go into the red but it runs hotter then I like. Do yo have any suggestions thank you
Peggywilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggywilhite View Post
I have a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton with a cat 350 hp pulling 2018 gmc 1/2 ton pickup before the gmc I pulled a Mini Cooper, in the hill are hot weather the temperature gauge will increase it not not go into the red but it runs hotter then I like. Do yo have any suggestions thank you
First question, when was the last time you checked or cleaned the radiator stack?
Second question, when was the last check/flush/replacement of the coolant and thermostat?
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #3

Still more questions .

Does your coach have a side radiator , or rear rad?

Are you manually gearing down to maintain engine RPM in the 2,000 range?

Does your gauge give any indication of temperature on the scale ?
At the red zone ?
Old 05-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #4

Might consider get a ScanGauge D to be able to get an accurate temperature reading. The ScanGauge can be set up to monitor a total of 4 different parameters such as Air Intake Temperature. Having a monitor like this make it easy to monitor the engine.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
in the hill are hot weather the temperature gauge will increase it not not go into the red but it runs hotter then I like.

So how hot DO you like it? Many people misunderstand how hot a modern engine runs, or how hot is OK. Diesels in particular, since they gain in efficiency as the temperature goes up. A Cat C9 can be expected to run nicely in the 205 range. Lightly loaded, it may stay down around 190-200. As long a sit doesn't climb above 210, it is working as designed.

That said, on a 2007 with a rear radiator, it's probably past time to clean the Radiator-CAC-AC Condensor stack. They tend to get an unhealthy dose of crud built up in the fins or between the three layers.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:

Loose 2,000 pounds and it will be like the mini.
Old 05-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #7

Need to operate in degrees of fahrenheight, not a needle gauge.

And engines are spec to run certain temps and fan controls
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #8

Quote:
You received suggestions requested, awaiting response.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor