RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Motorcoach ramp photos

I made some ramps using 2x lumber to raise my motor coach rear tires 10.5 inches to level it. They are very heavy and I move them using a handcart then slide them into place. The first set I made (in the last photo - coach on the ramps) were almost solid wood and were 9 inches high and only supported the outside tires.

When I found out I needed to make them 10.5" high I took them apart and rebuilt them to support the dual tires. The top layer is made of 2x10's to give me a wider tire support and room for the stops. Each step is about 7.25 inches wide.

I tried to use spaces between the boards to lighten it. The photos may give you an idea of how I did it. I think if I made it completely solid it would add another 75-100 lbs. I store them upright in my garage. Now I can put out slides and start the refrigerator when I need to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramp 1 copy.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	175544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramp 2 copy.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	175545  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramp 3 copy.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	175546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramp 4 copy.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	175547  

RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
WDW

Why? Do you carry them or just at home to get level in your drive? Nice project, looks well doe! Good job!
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Why? Do you carry them or just at home to get level in your drive? Nice project, looks well doe! Good job!
Thanks. They are just for the driveway. I think if I got a site at an RV park that was that off-level, I would try another site or another park. If just using my jacks in the driveway, the rear tires are 11" off the ground. Don't like that.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #4

I have to do the same thing. Mine are solid and wide enough for the duals. I think they weigh in around a gizillion pounds. I had to deal with left to right level also so I made each side different. My tallest is only 8" high.

I have to park about 6" from the house and line everything up just right so the slides and the door can open without hitting anything. I painted guide lines on the drive and some additional markings so I can get the ramps in the same place every time. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I just use the jacks to firm things up. Not to lift the motorhome.

The way I did the markings I can just hang my head out the driver side and park it just right every time. Don't need any directions or help but the wife usually just makes sure I don't hit the house.

I like your tire stops. They look like they make pretty good handles too. I may have to add some of those.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I have to do the same thing. Mine are solid and wide enough for the duals. I think they weigh in around a gizillion pounds. I had to deal with left to right level also so I made each side different. My tallest is only 8" high.

I have to park about 6" from the house and line everything up just right so the slides and the door can open without hitting anything. I painted guide lines on the drive and some additional markings so I can get the ramps in the same place every time. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I just use the jacks to firm things up. Not to lift the motorhome.

The way I did the markings I can just hang my head out the driver side and park it just right every time. Don't need any directions or help but the wife usually just makes sure I don't hit the house. I like your tire stops. They look like they make pretty good handles too. I may have to add some of those.
Actually the driver's side ramp is only 9" because of side slope. I like your idea of making markings on your drive especially when you are that tight. Yes, the tire stops sure make a good handle....if only I could lift it.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:26 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I think you should accommodate the duels or you will put too much stress on the axle. I'm not an engineer or anything but ....
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

Excellent for maintenance too. Good job.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
I think you should accommodate the duels or you will put too much stress on the axle. I'm not an engineer or anything but ....

X2 on that, cousin Ed. I can't speak to axle stress, but for as long as the coach is parked with only the one tire supported on each side, that one tire is grossly overloaded.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
That's what I did when I rebuilt the ramps. That's why it's now much wider at the high end. It will completely support both duals.