Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #29

I have the "Raider TOW-104 Motorcycle Carrier" from Amazon. I see they have redesigned it a bit with the support bars on top. Mine are on the bottom. Mine handles my 375 pound scooter just fine. After I assembled it I tested the scooter on in with the rack on the ground. You don't want the wheels going very deep in between the cross bars as it will be difficult to pull it up and out of a deep well. You may have to drill extra holes to get the adjustable cross bars where you want them. But once you get it setup it's not hard to get the scooter on and off. I also purchased a locking stabilizer pin. It servers 2 purposes. One to lock the pin so the rack and scooter cannot be stolen and also stabilize the rack in the hitch for no wobble.
Michael
mmcl26554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
LSC9901, looks like a real deal for your application. How can you beat the price!
Have not looked at the racks on Amazon but nice to see there are some good looking products out there that don't have "RV or Motor Home" attached (i.e. Blue Ox) with outrageous prices attached to them.
That was part of my quest .... to search for one not "designed" for a MH. A 2" receiver is a 2" receiver whether on a P/U truck or an RV. I have no need for a 1000 LB Blue Ox carrier and even less need for the price. I'm not downing the product but it was far more than I needed or wanted to pay. Yes I am frugal (aka cheap!!) The only difference that I could really see between what I bought and the more expensive ones is the tie down points. On mine they are close together and on some of the more expensive ones they have an attaching point on both front and back of the carrier. I have put mine all together and have put the bike on it and tied it down and it seems very solid. Once warm weather arrives (if ever) I'll mount it on the RV for the ultimate test. One week ago today it was 81° and today it is 29°. YES TWENTY NINE DEGREES !!!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcl26554 View Post
I have the "Raider TOW-104 Motorcycle Carrier" from Amazon. I see they have redesigned it a bit with the support bars on top. Mine are on the bottom. Mine handles my 375 pound scooter just fine. After I assembled it I tested the scooter on in with the rack on the ground. You don't want the wheels going very deep in between the cross bars as it will be difficult to pull it up and out of a deep well. You may have to drill extra holes to get the adjustable cross bars where you want them. But once you get it setup it's not hard to get the scooter on and off. I also purchased a locking stabilizer pin. It servers 2 purposes. One to lock the pin so the rack and scooter cannot be stolen and also stabilize the rack in the hitch for no wobble.
Michael
What pin did you get? I'm looking at one at Amazon right now but would like other opinions/reviews.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leary54 View Post
Go on line and check out Overbilt lift out of new York best one I have ever seen. Carries my harley ultra on the back of my motor home and flat tows my Tahoe no problem.
I'd have to agree on this one. Seen one in the park we're in and it's really put together well. Comes apart in three different pieces. I was quite surprised to find one on a gas coach. The guy here is carrying around his Heritage Softail.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
What pin did you get? I'm looking at one at Amazon right now but would like other opinions/reviews.
I have this one: Tow Ready 63232 Silver Locking Silent Hitch Pin for 2" Receivers by Tow Ready
Amazon has a "used" in their warehouse deals for $17.86 and eligible for free 2 day shipping if you are a "Prime" member. I have purchased a lot of "Used" items from Amazon warehouse, they are not really used, just returned and work just fine. I am a "Prime" member and I find the membership to be well worth it. The 2 day shipping is often one day shipping.

Anyway the Tow Ready Locking Silent Hitch Pin does tighten up the hitch so it eliminates sway and requires a high security key to remove it. Works well for me!
Michael
Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ironically that is the very same one I am looking at. Thanks for the positive report.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcl26554 View Post
I have this one: Tow Ready 63232 Silver Locking Silent Hitch Pin for 2" Receivers by Tow Ready
Amazon has a "used" in their warehouse deals for $17.86 and eligible for free 2 day shipping if you are a "Prime" member. I have purchased a lot of "Used" items from Amazon warehouse, they are not really used, just returned and work just fine. I am a "Prime" member and I find the membership to be well worth it. The 2 day shipping is often one day shipping.

Anyway the Tow Ready Locking Silent Hitch Pin does tighten up the hitch so it eliminates sway and requires a high security key to remove it. Works well for me!
Michael

Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #35

Checked out Amazon's selection of carriers just for the heck of it and Wow!, the 600# carrier by T-Motorsports looks exactly like the VersaHaul Sport carrier I purchased scratch and dent for around $350, original like $500-$600 and they are selling their version for $178! Just makes me wonder did I shop Amazon back when I bought mine, or since this is 5 years or so later did T-Motorsports just copy the VersaHaul who probably did not have a patent.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #36

Amazon really has good deals on most everything. I think when you throw the words "Camping" or "Recreation" or "Motorhome" in the description of items the price gets inflated by 300%. The same is true in the boating field. Companies seem to think it is a license to rip customers off! And corporations are supposed to be people? And what kind of people are they.
Michael
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #37

Hey, by the way, those using the carriers, what kind of cover do you use? Don't want the cover to blow off while driving down the freeway, lol
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #38

I bought mine at Walmart: Walmart.com: Classic Accessories MotoGear Scooter Cover: Automotive
Michael
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #39

I bought mine online at BikeBandit.com. Then attach bungee cords to the grommets along the bottom. $34.99
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #40

Pulled the Trigger and went high end for a carrier. The Blue Ox system with an extra brace welded and bolted to the frame.

If I decide to go heavier, I won't have to change anything .

Just traveled on my first outing without incident. Pretty solid set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-544184994.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	523.1 KB
ID:	21305   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1461524705.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	21306  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1105408994.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	470.0 KB
ID:	21307  
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #41

Looks nice! What is the good looking bike? What is it's weight?
Michael
Old 05-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #42

It would be a good idea to think twice before you use a cover on your bike when hauling it. It is very common for road grime to get inside the cover and act like grinding compound when the wind flaps the cover. Ruined paint and chrome can be the result.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote