Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Go to Overbilt. Com great lift have one on my bounder diesel.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we were thinking of adding the Hydra-Lift to our Journey. i had the 4 corner weigh done and it would have put me almost on the weight limits. i just did not want to push it that close, even thought others with the same model have done so. My goldwing weighs about 800lbs, but based on the formulas it really adds almost 2200 lbs on the rear. so we did not do it. I will just wait till we buy our next coach and make sure it has a tag axle, which will help a lot. i did find out one of the disadvantages of the cruiser lift, i was told it does not fold up when not in use, like the Hydralift does.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I like having my Harley in a enclosed trailer it is always clean when I get where I'm going. I can also take a golf cart and a lot of gear inflatable boat outboard motor. Makes a nice place to garage when not riding. I would have concern with the weight on the rear axle. Do the math you will see if it is possible.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Race City got bought out. The prices about a yr or 2 ago was about $3k to $4k and now they are almost double. They still use the Race City website thou. Check the shipping requirements or think about driving to go pick it up.
i got mine about 5-6 years ago, paid 2k prices sure went up but for me the best money spent and it doesn't need to be registered
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #19

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
I agree with the comment about the warranty impact. Check that first - heck it may negate the whole argument.

And, BTE, what's a tandem tow hauler? I don't think I've ever seen one of those.

This is what I use...

We use it for our bikes, bicycles, golf cart, Jeep and sand rail or usually a combination of the above... with a 8x8 platform it can hold two bikes or a bike and golf cart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	33131   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	33132  

Attached Images

windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #20

motorcycle hauler

I checked with the tow dolly people and with the few accessories I wanted the price was almost $6,000.00 without shipping I am right at the limit weightwise but installed air bags and tire monitor system so I will see how it goes.
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
We were looking at getting one almost 2 yrs ago and they were still in the $2k to $3k range then. Trust me we are kicking ourselves for not getting one then. Now we are looking at having one made at a trailer shop around here. Same thing but looks like it might be cheaper. We do have a 20ft equipment trailer so for right now we are not having to find something fast. But we are still looking at reducing the weight of all. The trailer is about 4k to 5k lbs by itself and with the 4Runner and bike it tops out at about 10k total, so if we can change out to something like the tandem tow we will lower the weight by quite a bit.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We were looking at getting one almost 2 yrs ago and they were still in the $2k to $3k range then. Trust me we are kicking ourselves for not getting one then. Now we are looking at having one made at a trailer shop around here. Same thing but looks like it might be cheaper. We do have a 20ft equipment trailer so for right now we are not having to find something fast. But we are still looking at reducing the weight of all. The trailer is about 4k to 5k lbs by itself and with the 4Runner and bike it tops out at about 10k total, so if we can change out to something like the tandem tow we will lower the weight by quite a bit.
Also considering having a tow dolly modified by a custom trailer builder to carry H-D and tow small car. We will be under 5,000 lb. Class III hitch limit and GCWR/RAWR; however, tongue weight on the hitch could be a problem. Has anyone done this and have an accurate tongue weight?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #23

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
Also considering having a tow dolly modified by a custom trailer builder to carry H-D and tow small car. We will be under 5,000 lb. Class III hitch limit and GCWR/RAWR; however, tongue weight on the hitch could be a problem. Has anyone done this and have an accurate tongue weight?
IMO it would be better to have a car trailer modified with a tow dolly assembly on the rear (see pics above). It's much more sturdy and dual axles give a little piece of mind if a blow out were to occur.

As for hitch weight, it's a lot. In my case I put two full dress cruisers on the platform and tow a Jeep. I have about 1800 lbs. tongue weight with both bikes onboard, a lttle more if the Jeep isn't coming along since it's weight on the dolly section takes some off the tongue.

The tongue on the trailer is rated at 2500lbs.. I bought a 16000lb capacity/2500lb.TW utility truck hitch from ETrailer.com. The hitch comes as a weld together kit with your choice of long or short brackets. I had it welded on by a local fabricator/hitch shop. I also had him weld in two bars in "V" formation to control any side to side movement of the hitch under load. The hitch and welding cost less than $400. I have put over 15k miles on this set-up without an issue and it tows great.

This is what worked for me, hope it helps give you ideas for your situation.
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenfl View Post
if you look at the tandems the cradle that the car sits on is adjustable therefore with the bike on the front you move the cradle back to counter balance so tounge weight is in a sense adjustable. it works very well and is just 1 bolt to adjust
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Hydralift works great with HD Ultra. Don't notice the weight and tow the car behind approx. 4,000 miles so far. Yes, it does get dirty if it rains and it isn't covered properly.
Home Page - Hydralift-USA
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #26

Overbilt and Hydrlift both make quality units. In my case I decided against a lift because of three things....
1. Price for unit and installation can run close to $4k for some units
2. There have been some reports of frame stress (especially with a 1000 lb Harley)and warranty violations.
3. That 1000lb bike bounces hard in the lift and gets real dirty!

Bought an enclosed trailer and just plan trips for either Motorcycle riding or Car...not both.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #27

We hauled our bikes down east last year on a flat deck trailer. Several times the bikes were so dirty we had to take them to a car wash before we even wanted to touch them. I have since bought an enclosed trailer to put them in.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
After trading my Outlaw for a conventional motor home I had a decision to make. It didn't take long to decide that going with an enclosed trailer was the only real option. I bought a new 5' x 8' V-Nose for $2k and all I did was to make a couple of supply shelves and gear hangars and install a wheel chock.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2939.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	33917   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2951.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	33918  

Name:	DSCN2942.jpg