Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #57

My concern on the coach is the lift and Goldwing puts the weight at about 450lbs over gross on the rear axle. Have you done the calculations on yours?
Thanks
DWMOONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMOONEY View Post
My concern on the coach is the lift and Goldwing puts the weight at about 450lbs over gross on the rear axle. Have you done the calculations on yours?
Thanks
How does one do the calculation for this type of installation?
Tim 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe Hydra Lift has a diagram to plug in weights and measure to help you calculate. Most of what I've seen is that the large cruisers need a tag. Good luck
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #60

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Here's Blue Ox's weight calculator for lifts;

ttp://www.blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/carriercalculation.pdf

It was on the first page of this thread
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #61

i have a cable lift for 4 years and love it
JMSUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 AM   #62

What do you have it on?
DWMOONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Hi Brother,
Love the avatar, was wondering how long your RV is and if you have traveled with the lift and the bike yet? I have had several bikes that I usually haul in the back of my silverado with a loader hauler. I am thinking on buying a jeep, so this hauler might be my ticket to get accross the country. I want to haul a harley trike or a can-am spyder, not sure yet. What do you think?
Bill O.
06 Endeavor
sorry it took me awhile to respond Bill. I'm not sure the hauler (or the motorhome) would be capable of hauling the Harley trike, not sure of the weight of the spider but that may be a better option depending on it's total weight.
We have hauled from Indiana to Texas where we are currently with no issues. Our Journey is 36' long.

Phil
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #64

I am an engineer (space craft) and an economist and looking around for a lift to carry my 700lb bike on a Newmar class A. Not happy with what I found so I designed one that uses a winch to lift the bike (4,000lb capacity) and then I place a set of outriggers under the bike that are attached to the hitch assembly. This gives me three separate connecting points to the motor home. The lift also incorporates a tow unit for the Jeep and is capable of towing 10,000lbs...total weight is 225 lbs and 5 pieces.....investment is less than $500.....
Toussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #65

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The manufacturer of the motorcycle lift would have the formula for calculating the overhanging weight and the weight lost/taken away from front axle. Like a teeter toddder out of balance.
Too light of a front end dangerously effects steering and breaking.
Will/does the manufacturer guarantee his product with weight of motorcycle will/does not negatively effect steering and front braking of your RV? It is a matter of liability and your life.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #66

Wanted to post an update on our Mighty Hauler - Premier manufacturer of rear hitch carriers motorcycle lift. We purchased it in November and had it installed at their factory and headed to Texas for the winter. We had trouble getting the lift to lower when we arrived and called Joe at Mighty Hauler and he told us to shake it back and forth, this worked so we didn't think anymore of it (he said it was probably just some dirt that got in the mechanism on the trip down). Loaded the bike up last week for the return trip and headed home. The first day all was well on our safety checks each time we stopped. Arrived at M & G in Athens, Texas to have a new brake system installed on the toad and the bike and lift was leaning backwards further then it should. Got to checking it and found that 2 steel plates were tearing where the lift attaches to the 3 point hitch. I called Joe and emailed him some photos after having the problems earlier and now this obvious structural flaw I asked to have my $$ refunded and would be returning the lift. We have arrived back in Indiana after renting a U-haul to haul the bike and talked to Joe, they are now stating they will refund the purchase price but not the labor $$ I paid them to install the lift nor the cost of the trailer to get the bike home. We are returning the lift day after tomorrow (300 miles one way to their factory) and hopefully they will reconsider refunding the additional $900 I am out. Right now I am not a happy customer so please disregard any previous post I made recommending this lift as it just did not perform for me as advertised.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #67

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear about your issue. Thankfully you didn't loose the bike.

Hopefully others will not only look at the flaw and potential loss of the bike (what would insurance have covered?) but their policy towards the backing of their product. This company should have paid you for the rental costs as their insurance would have reimbursed them
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Maybe their Testimonials page says it all
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #69

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple of options left, Small Claims Court for the max allowable due to lost time, fuel expense, etc, OR contact Good Sam Magazine and/or FMCA (if a member) and ask them for assistance in getting balance.
Continue to submit story and reviews of your experience to all RV and Motorcycle Web forums and magazines they may advertise in. Continue to make reviews on line, with BBB, etc. If you ever come across their product at a booth at a Rally, I would camp out and be an ambassador warning others.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #70

Thanks for your update. This lift was high on my list due to price which I assumed was low due to the manual lift mechanism - not quality of materials. Guess this is a case of you get what you pay for. Sorry you had to be the one to find this out.