Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
DJK

Motorcycle lift

Thinking about getting a lift for the back of our 2013 35' Itcasa Sunstar with the Ford V-10. I have a 1996 Dyna Low-rider Anybody useing one, how do you like it, do you tow a toad behind it?
DJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

Your Low Rider weights nearly 750 lbs wet. With the lift hanging off the back of your coach and taking into account the distance between the lift and your rear axle, you will be placing at least double or possibly nearly triple the load on your rear end which will most certainly put you over your axle limit. Also your front end will be "floating" down the road with little weight on your drive wheels.
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is from Blue Ox it will help you figure if your coach can handle the weight

http://www.blueox.com/Uploads/Docs/c...alculation.pdf
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbigdog View Post
Your Low Rider weights nearly 750 lbs wet. With the lift hanging off the back of your coach and taking into account the distance between the lift and your rear axle, you will be placing at least double or possibly nearly triple the load on your rear end which will most certainly put you over your axle limit. Also your front end will be "floating" down the road with little weight on your drive wheels.
Gave up on the idea of a lift on the rear of our gasser. Too much weight on the rear/drive wheels/axle and too little on the steering wheels. Might consider trying a "wheelie" on the bike; but NEVER on the MH!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Were you planning on pulling a TOAD too?, if not here is what I use to "tow" my motorcycle behind my coach, and it only puts about 300lbs. weight on the rear of the coach at the receiver. It from a web site "billybob1.com" I've towed my motorcycle over a 1000 miles so far this summer and it works great.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #6

I am a dealer for rampage motorcycle lifts and I would not sell anyone a unit if they told me they were going to put it on the back of a gas or a 40' non tag diesel pusher. I have a 42' with tag and I can adjust the tag and carry the extra weight but I have gone back to the lift in the back of my pickup truck with the goldwing in the back of the truck. You might want to look at this set of pics.

click on anyone of the motorcycle or rampage and look.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9428653@N08/sets/

The guys that are the happiest have a pickup with cycle in back. Don
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
I am a dealer for rampage motorcycle lifts and I would not sell anyone a unit if they told me they were going to put it on the back of a gas or a 40' non tag diesel pusher. I have a 42' with tag and I can adjust the tag and carry the extra weight but I have gone back to the lift in the back of my pickup truck with the goldwing in the back of the truck. You might want to look at this set of pics.

click on anyone of the motorcycle or rampage and look.

donupdyke's photosets on Flickr

The guys that are the happiest have a pickup with cycle in back. Don
+1 Just not possible with a small rig. Although we do see them on non tag DP's, I also firmly believe they do not belong on anything but a tag axle coach.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I helped a friend get a Cruiserlift on his 36' Neptune a couple years back to haul his Softail Heritage Classic.

The bike is about 780 lbs. He took 1 trip and pulled the lift off the MH because it made the coach wander all over the road.

Just too much weight hanging behind the axle.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
DJK

Thank you to all, looks like I will take the Jeep or the trailer with bike on it.
DJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK View Post
Thank you to all, looks like I will take the Jeep or the trailer with bike on it.
When we was in Cody this last summer we seen a guy had a trailer with his bike and jeep on it! I have thought about it. I read some where's on IRV2 of someone having that set up and used one of the bike storage racks to roll bike sideways against a wall ( from Harbor Freight) and had a pivot point set and just swung the bike sideways on the front of the trailer in front of the jeep .
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
The alternative is to trade the jeep (tough to do) and move forward with the appraoch you see in my sig block. I have an 8' bed and use a Big Boy ramp to drive on and off. If you want the safer approach, buy a rampage loader for the p/u.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #12

I also have a Rampage in the back of my pickup to haul the HD--- then I have the PU for rainy days. Here's a pic
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I just looked at the Rampage website and watched a couple of the videos. At this time I use an enclosed trailer to haul two bikes but this looks like a pretty nice, cost effective solution if you already have a pickup to use as a toad.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote