Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegd007 View Post
Thinking you need a new tax guy! I took off my motor home interest pmt every year on our taxes! My loan company sent out a statement that I used every year! You actually keep the statement for your records and only show it on the tax documents! A 20 year Motorhome loan should be tax decidable...and I did so for years! Do it...you will be OK

X-2 although I did get a letter from the IRS, I sent them lean holders name and account number and they have not questioned again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
Time out !!
chrisk311 correctly answered this post, long ago ...
The 2nd mortgage (and 1st) interest deduction is dead as of 12-31-17
gfmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmii View Post
Time out !!
Wow, that's so wrong !

Google it and read all about it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #32

Quote:
Time out !!
WRONG! The home equity loan interest deduction is dead apparently as of 12-31-17. The second home interest deduction is still alive and well. The limit changed as to the amount of principal that a mortgage can have but that's it.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Why should I take money out of an annuity that pays me 7% to pay off a 5% loan. That 7% is more than my monthly payments plus insurance on the stick house, MH and two cars and some left over for the stick house property taxes.
To add to this: My financial advisor did check on the tax implications of taking the money out and paying the loans off. He said it would cost me about $100,000 in add'l Federal income taxes if I did it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

There IS an IRS caveat with respect to the type of interest for the loan on a second home, but it does not involve the word "mortgage" on any paper. The home must be used as collateral for the loan in order for the loan interest to be federal tax deductible. That is what makes the loan a "mortgage" for tax purposes and qualifies the interest for the mortgage deduction. If the lender doesn't file mortgage interest paperwork with the IRS (few, if any do), you might be asked to show that the deduction requirements are being met, but I doubt if that would happen except in an audit. It would almost surely never be challenged otherwise.

So, if you charged your motorhome on your VISA card, you can't deduct the interest cause VISA doesn't have a collateral interest (lien) on the RV.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Time out !!

This is my 45th tax season (yes I am old) and I have never seen any piece of tax legislation so universally misquoted, misinterpreted, or just plain ignored. I'm not sure if it is keyed to our toxic political environment or the excessive use of the internet or what, but it is really unbelievable to observe and try to combat.

It is going to be years before we fully understand all the ramifications of this tax law. The IRS has their hands full trying to understand all of this and how it will change things going forward. For 2017, not much is different. That's the good news.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:53 AM   #36

IRS Circular E defines a home for tax purposes.

I have a note on ours that is not a mortgage so the IRS does not get a 1099 for the interest. I deduct it. Every couple of years I get a letter saying that I owe $X rca use of the mortgage deducted. I change the dates and numbers on my reply letter and include loan statements showing interest paid, documentation that the note has the RV as collateral, and a copy of the circular E page defining a home.

It always is resolved with that letter. I keep all that info in a folder ready to send again as needed so I don't have look for it all.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #37

Get a new tax guy it obvious he has no clue about taxes. We have a motorhome we bought new in 2016 and we claim the interest on our taxes.
RickyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
pay with cash #daveramsey

Dave would be so proud of you ! and me.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
Everybody’s financial situation is different and really doesn’t apply to the OP’s original question.
Wasn't answering the OP's question, I was answering the post I quoted.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #40
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Two things......there was some information that RV's would still be deductible in 2018, but the new tax law stated motorized. They said during reconciliation of the new law, they would push to correct that and remove the words motorized, otherwise, only motor homes would be deductible.

Second thing.....it's funny, the guy that tells everyone to save their money and pay cash, currently doesn't have an RV. Brilliant strategy!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Then again if you save and pay with cash no need to worry about this. #daveramsey
Agree - why pay $10k in interest to get back $2500 on your taxes. Or even $39,600.

I guess one reason would be if the cash is earning a higher interest rate than your loan interest rate.(after taxes)
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:01 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Two things......there was some information that RV's would still be deductible in 2018, but the new tax law stated motorized. They said during reconciliation of the new law, they would push to correct that and remove the words motorized, otherwise, only motor homes would be deductible.

Second thing.....it's funny, the guy that tells everyone to save their money and pay cash, currently doesn't have an RV. Brilliant strategy!
Don, I always enjoy your posts but on this one you are misinterpreting what the law is. The new law disallowed the deduction for interest paid by a business on non-motorized units. In other words a dealer could not deduct the interest he was paying on his floor plan for his non-motorized units. That is what the RVIA is looking to correct. This law does not change the second home interest deduction other than the total amount of borrowing will go down from a million. That is the only change that has any effect on individuals and their interest deductions for RV’s.

Tags
motorhome