Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
Very legal. I deduct my MH and second home. every little bit helps.

Bill
The IRS instructions state clearly that you can deduct interest payments for only one main home and one second home at a time. If you treat your RV as a second home, that's it -- you can't claim a main home, a second home, AND an RV.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
The IRS instructions state clearly that you can deduct interest payments for only one main home and one second home at a time. If you treat your RV as a second home, that's it -- you can't claim a main home, a second home, AND an RV.
I think we're all saying the same thing. In your scenario, the MH would be a THIRD home, wouldn't it?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #17
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Here is an extensive link on this matter from another website.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: IRS slams me with payment & interest penalty
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

JC2... thanks. That's a great thread with lots of useful information. It refutes the belief about having to live in a 2nd home at least 6 mos out of the year... which would kind of make it your primary home wouldn't it?... and the lack of a need for a 1098.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
I have been told by my accountant that in the State of Ohio one cannot deduct the motorhome on your taxes or claim it as a second home unless you can prove it is used as a home for a great per cent of the year or it is used in the due course of a business expense.. Interest charges, yes, one can.
Time to find a different accountant...
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I really think we're all kind of saying the same thing but mixing apples and oranges. Yes, if you have a self contained motorhome which is financed on a note which is secured solely by that motorhome... you may deduct the interest on that note (whether or not you received a 1098) on your federal tax return if you file long form.

That is MUCH different than "deducting the cost of your motorhome from your taxes". As with any first OR second home, you can only deduct the interest... and probably property taxes... that you pay to maintain that home. It just seems to be the same thing to me.

State laws vary all over the map I'm sure but at least to me the federal rules are pretty clear.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #21
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In conjunction with this topic, ensure that if you are including the interest in your itemized deductions that you have either a 1098 or a note from the financial institution holding the title of the collateral (RV/MH). Just received a notice from the IRS that I owe them money since they did not have any 1098 from the bank that financed my MH. Reviewing my Income Tax Returns for that year revealed that there was a statement in the note (vice a 1098) from the bank that states they (bank) are not forwarding any more copies to the IRS. Just mailed the IRS a copy and a statement explaining the unmatched deduction. And I hope they'll send me an acknowledgement that they have corrected the discrepancy.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
In conjunction with this topic, ensure that if you are including the interest in your itemized deductions that you have either a 1098 or a note from the financial institution holding the title of the collateral (RV/MH). Just received a notice from the IRS that I owe them money since they did not have any 1098 from the bank that financed my MH. Reviewing my Income Tax Returns for that year revealed that there was a statement in the note (vice a 1098) from the bank that states they (bank) are not forwarding any more copies to the IRS. Just mailed the IRS a copy and a statement explaining the unmatched deduction. And I hope they'll send me an acknowledgement that they have corrected the discrepancy.
I got the same IRS notice two years ago. I sent them a copy of the year end loan statement from my bank along with a copy of the coach registration (or purchase docs, I don't recall since my tax advisor pulled it together) and got word back from them that they were happy.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #23

RICK O: Your understanding of what my comment was about is right on. I didn't expect it to be so difficult to understand. Mentioning Ohio was simply geographic foot note. Thanks for clarifying the remark.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #24

I guess I opened a can of worms. Neverthless I now have a clear understanding. All I need is documentation from my bank regarding the interest I paid during the year and thats what I need to file.
Thanks everyone for all the good info.
saddlecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
Ditto for me, just received the same notice from the IRS for tax year 2008. US Bank doesn't send a statement or 1098 for the interest paid. I call them each year and get the interest paid from them. The IRS is now matching your returns with the info sent by the banks and mortgage companies. I called US Bank and requested something in writing which I forwarded to the IRS.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
It is absolutly deductible (interest paid, for federal tax return, and in many states). We had a go-around with the IRS this year as the bank didn't show the loan we claimed as a 'mortgage'. It took a couple trys, but once I actually spoke to an IRS rep, and explained that it was not a home mortgage, but an RV loan, she cleared our account on my word only and allowed the deduction.

You do have to clearly list it as an RV loan on your tax forms to avoid a 'friendly' note like we got this year. Unlike a home mortgage, we learned that a bank is not required to send anything to the IRS to confirm an RV loan, you have to be sure to identify it on your return.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Anything with a place to sleep, a stove of some kind, and a "permanent" toilet, counts as a "second home". This can be a boat, camper, RV, a tree house, it doesn't matter. If you financed it, the interest is deductible.

As for sales tax being deductible-- With the exception of your federal income tax, ALL taxes you pay are deductible. Including your state income tax (from the previous year). Do you smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day that are taxed at $1.00 per pack? keep your receipts, that's another $730 tax deduction...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItForwrd View Post
Anything with a place to sleep, a stove of some kind, and a "permanent" toilet, counts as a "second home". This can be a boat, camper, RV, a tree house, it doesn't matter. If you financed it, the interest is deductible.

As for sales tax being deductible-- With the exception of your federal income tax, ALL taxes you pay are deductible. Including your state income tax (from the previous year). Do you smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day that are taxed at $1.00 per pack? keep your receipts, that's another $730 tax deduction...
As to the first part, yes, but only a first and second home, no more than that. If you finance both a second house and an RV, you have to pick one to deduct, you can't use both.

On your second point, that hasn't been true for years. With the exception of the special break for buying a new car or RV in 2009, you can deduct either state income taxes or sales taxes, not both.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote