RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #1

Motorhome Covers - questions about ventilation etc

Hi,

We are buying a Fleetwood Bounder/Southwind, and we live in the pacific northwest (it rains a bit).

We don't have space for a carport or garage, but I figure I should at least cover the RV when we're not using it - especially to keep the tree pollen off it. One big issue here is moisture getting trapped under covers, and getting moldy etc.

I looked at Budge "Premier" covers, and they are waterproof and also have vents. I just wondered if there was a good thread on this topic (I searched, came up empty) or some consensus about what people use in this area of the country. i.e. if you're in Arizona... I'm less interested in your thoughts

Thanks!
Bigfoot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot_ View Post
Hi,

We are buying a Fleetwood Bounder/Southwind, and we live in the pacific northwest (it rains a bit).

We don't have space for a carport or garage, but I figure I should at least cover the RV when we're not using it - especially to keep the tree pollen off it. One big issue here is moisture getting trapped under covers, and getting moldy etc.

I looked at Budge "Premier" covers, and they are waterproof and also have vents. I just wondered if there was a good thread on this topic (I searched, came up empty) or some consensus about what people use in this area of the country. i.e. if you're in Arizona... I'm less interested in your thoughts

Thanks!
Wow, singling out AZ huh? Just kidding. Yes, we do live in AZ, Lake Havasu City to be specific. But, we've had multiple motorhomes and, this isn't the only place we've lived. Without a doubt, any "Drive under" cover is by far, the best choice. But, as you stated, it's not always an option. A "throw-on" cover is the next best but, also without a doubt, is one serious pain in the a$$ to install and remove. Of all the threads I've read on this subject, about 99.99999% of the folks that have purchased and used a throw-on cover, have rejected using it more than one time, if that many times.

Many have reported chaffing of the paint in many places to to cover movement in even the slightest winds. Almost no one would do it the correct way. What is the correct way you ask? Well in short, it's kind-a like this: First, wash the coach and dry it thoroughly which, included the top. Then, more than likely, with the help of a friend or DW is she's up to the task, unfold and apply that cover. Then, secure it just about as tight as you can, in almost all directions to prevent as much movement as possible.

Now, what's one of the primary reasons folks would use a cover like this? Not just to keep the sun and elements off but, to keep the coach CLEAN. Well, guess what, if the cover's covering the motorhome, it's GETTING DIRTY while doing it, correct? Most folks, (the few that actually use them) will sort of "roll up" that cover when removing it from their coach. NOT GOOD! Why you ask? Because, you're ROLLING UP all that dirt when rolling the cover up, to remove it.

So, guess what happens when one goes to apply that cover the next time? You get to ROLL all that dirt, that's inside that cover now, right onto and around, the coaches outside surface. NOT GOOD!

So, what's the right way but, seriously harder? When removing that cover, you'd have to literally fold that cover, from one end to the other, all in one motion. In other words, in half. That way, you'd trap all and any dirt/dust/debris/leaves etc. that may accumulate on the outer surface of the cover. Then, you can now either fold it again or, roll it up. Because the next time you go to apply that cover, the dirt is trapped between the two halves of the OUTER surface and will not be applied in between the cover and the coach.

Yep, it's a major pain to do it this way and that's why it's not done. Sorry for the long dissertation but, again, the use of a throw on cover just not all that prevalent in the real world. It's just too darn hard to do it for about 98% of the folks out there.

As for part of your question, will it ventilate, well, the folks that make them say it will.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

We have been using covers for our RV for several years now. It is a pain in the butt to put then on and off, no argument there, depending on conditions it could be a one person job, but most of the time it takes two. It does provide good breathability and we have not had problems associated with its use. We live in SoCal and it does do a decent job protecting from UV and other harsh elements.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 06-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #4

Scott..... What Up With That????
Old 06-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #5

I live in AZ so...... I won't comment......
Old 06-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
Scott..... What Up With That????
Hey doodadd,
Which part are you asking about, my kidding of AZ or, what I think about the use of tarp type covers? I don't fault anyone for covering their coach, the darned things are expensive. It's just that, tarp type covers, as everyone who's ever tried to or, in fact does use one, knows the real pain it is to install and use.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, I had a cover once, and I used it only once. Packing that thing up the ladder and rolling it out and spreading it over the roof and down the sides was a pain in the rear. And then try and walk around the roof with the cover on and not slip or step on anything important like vents and antenna's, don't forget to dodge the shower skylight.. And the paint rubbing is a real deterrent and next to impossible to prevent. But hey I only used it once so I am no expert...
flamebuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #8

I would think you do not want water proof, just water repellant like the awnings fabrics. not to use those same weight fabrics but much lighter in weight. they breath and mold and mildew has way harder time to happen. and don't forget to have zipper to get in door ect.. and if you get a quality cover and have a painted and clear coated coach they will not chaf so much it can be seen if at all. the less expensive coaches don't have full paint...
Old 06-12-2018, 11:06 PM   #9

MH covers

Iíve used covers successfully for 14 years, first on a 27 ft TT, the last year on our Class A. We live in central California, 50 miles N of SF. Lots of fog, rain Nov-March, but nothing like the moisture you have. I have used Adco covers exclusively, and have seen them improve a lot in fabric, ventilation, and straps. Iíve never had any problems with abrasions from the cover. After extended wet periods Iíve seen some algae growth on the roof (where the waterproof fabric is, but never on the sidewalls. I donít know if that would be true in a completely forested and shaded area or not. I will continue to use them, as they provide a lot of shelter for everything on the coach. Would I rather have a roofed shelter, sure! But it canít happen where I live now.
gozierdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #10

I too am in Havasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey doodadd,
Which part are you asking about, my kidding of AZ or, what I think about the use of tarp type covers? I don't fault anyone for covering their coach, the darned things are expensive. It's just that, tarp type covers, as everyone who's ever tried to or, in fact does use one, knows the real pain it is to install and use.
Scott
Yes, an RV garage is coming eventually. But for now, trying a new cover for the 36' Country Coach, no choice. Sun block, yes works of course. Heat is a real issue as you know, inside even hotter than outside is not good. I would think running the A/C covered would not be good. Covers work great for UV protection, but not heat. Probably fine in cold climates though.

Real question now is ventilation and running A/C or any other options. Any suggestions from our climate experience?
Thanks, Mike
p1havasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, motorhome, vent