Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #1

Motorhome decision

My spouse and I are considering the purchase of a motor home. We have never driven one but have been told they are very easy. I like space and comfort so perhaps a 30 ft. What are your suggestions on make and model. It's only us 2 and at times another couple so accommodations for 4 is a must. Suggestions please..
ohau8622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Look at 35' to 40' at least for 4 people. We have a 32' and find it fun at times with just the 2 of us. They are easy to drive but not like a passenger car. You might consider renting a Class A for a weekend to see if it is for you before sinking thousands into one. Drive it several hundred miles and note the quirks that make it different from a passenger car or even a large pickup or van. Make and models are up to your personal preference. Floor plans vary greatly as well as chassis set up and engine sizes. Look and touch a lot of coaches to find the right one for you.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best advice out there, rent a couple and find out what u like and dislike. Every major city has a company that will rent privately owned RV that folk rent out for part of the year.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

This site will give you an idea of various floorplans on different sizes and manufacturers.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/...motorhomes.php

I'd recommend getting a used late model motorhome to save a lot of money.

How often with the 4 of you be traveling and for what distances? Do you tend to spend time inside watching television, talking, eating, etc. or are the four of you outdoors' people. When looking as these floorplans envision where the four will sit, sleep, storage for extra clothes, bedding, and cooking space. Also zero in on holding tank sizes for four.

Also consider the carrying capacity for 4 people and belongings and can it tow a car safely? It's great to sitesee in a car rather than driving the RV and parking it and unhooking from the campsite when you need groceries, etc.

Yes, a motorhome is fun and easy to drive.... at least we thought so! Good luck!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #5

I just bought my first class A motorhome about a month ago after 4-5 months worth of shopping, I had previously only owned smaller camper vans. I ended up buying a 28 ft (really 29.5) 2002 Safari Trek built on workhorse wide track P32 chassis, with various upgrades (suspension, solar panels, new fridge, etc.). In those 4-5 months of serious shopping, I did a lot of research, knew I wanted something fairly small, read everything I could find online, watched lots of you tube videos, ...

Even with all that research, I learned more about the motorhome experience in the first couple of days driving it home (I bought it from a private party ad listed in FL a 1,000 miles away) than in those months of research. I will be the first to admit the P30 chassis series has a reputation for being poor handling, at least with stock setup on many models, partly due to many makes overloading the chassis design. With the proper upgrades they can perform ok, thankfully mine had most of these already applied when I bought it. Even so the first 75-100 miles of driving from the sellers home to the RV camp ground where I spent the first night were a near white knuckle adventure in terror, and questioning what I had done buying this beast. To make matters worse it was almost all along a busy Florida interstate with lots of passing 18 wheelers, cross winds, and construction zones at nearly every overpass or at least so it felt. Day 2 was better even though I only made it another 160 miles that day, I really don't know why I did not make it farther that day, I left the camp ground around 9 am and drove until nearly sunset, stopping only to eat and at Wal-Mart for provisions for the drive. My first goal that day was get off the interstate and switch highways with a lower speed limits. Finally at about 125 miles into driving the second day I started to relax a little and started to feel more comfortable driving the motorhome, each day I became a little more comfortable with the motorhome, and a lot more understanding of things I had read.

1st, when driving on the highway length of motorhome is not a big deal, and longer tends to be more stable in many ways. While before I bought I debated between 25-29 ft models, but after just a couple of days on the road, I knew I did not want anything shorter than what I had bought.

There are very few places a 25 ft class A can go that a 29 ft can't, neither one will fit in a single standard parking space, yet either one can fit in 2 spaces end to end, they are also both the same width and height.

Now less than a month later and another $500 in suspension upgrades, I just returned home from my first weekend trip, my college age son and I went to a festival about 200 miles away in Texas. Much of the drive down narrow Texas highways with 75 mph speed limits. I am not yet comfortable doing 75 mph on winding state highways with little to no shoulders, but I did sustain 70+ at times when the pavement was in good repair...

Overall I still feel I made the right choice for us within the realm of available choices, budget, etc. but I can see why people would buy other things, even those bus like monster diesel pushers are starting to look appealing at times. But for now I think I will stick with my Trek, as I can squeeze into places I would never dare venture with a giant rig. For example on the drive home today we stopped at a restaurant I like in a small town 50 miles from home for lunch, and only blocked 2 parking spaces at the back corner of the parking lot.

Overall all if I could give one bit of advice, buy something with good initial build quality, there is a lot of junk out there, built to be as cheap as possible, squeezing sleeping for 6 to 8 into a floorplan / chassis that can't support that number. Either through lack of bathroom / kitchen space, or cargo / tank capacities or both.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:55 AM   #6

You have quite the adventure ahead of you – even before you buy a motor home! Good hunting.

The word ‘easy’ does not leap to mind when I consider driving a motor home (MH). But then, we have a 40’ DP (diesel pusher). However, our first rig was a Winnie View and I can recall that crosswinds, or negotiating the Raton Pass, were “thrilling.”

Your stated that you would be traveling at times with another couple. I assume that you and your wife will sleep in the nice big bed in the back and your guests will sleep on the pull-out sofa or convertible dinette. That may wear thin for your guests. Will your guests have to enter your sleeping area to use the bathroom? Sights, sounds, wiffs - I’m just sayin’. Also, will it be awkward, or will it be funny, if the other couple decides to get frisky? Or the reverse.

Your best advice was already given by one or two others. Rent first. Unless you are independently wealthy, this will be a major financial decision. As the ancient knight said, “Choose wisely.”
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I just bought my first class A motorhome about a month ago after 4-5 months worth of shopping, I had previously only owned smaller camper vans. I ended up buying a 28 ft (really 29.5) 2002 Safari Trek built on workhorse wide track P32 chassis, with various upgrades (suspension, solar panels, new fridge, etc.). In those 4-5 months of serious shopping, I did a lot of research, knew I wanted something fairly small, read everything I could find online, watched lots of you tube videos, ...

Even with all that research, I learned more about the motorhome experience in the first couple of days driving it home (I bought it from a private party ad listed in FL a 1,000 miles away) than in those months of research. I will be the first to admit the P30 chassis series has a reputation for being poor handling, at least with stock setup on many models, partly due to many makes overloading the chassis design. With the proper upgrades they can perform ok, thankfully mine had most of these already applied when I bought it. Even so the first 75-100 miles of driving from the sellers home to the RV camp ground where I spent the first night were a near white knuckle adventure in terror, and questioning what I had done buying this beast. To make matters worse it was almost all along a busy Florida interstate with lots of passing 18 wheelers, cross winds, and construction zones at nearly every overpass or at least so it felt. Day 2 was better even though I only made it another 160 miles that day, I really don't know why I did not make it farther that day, I left the camp ground around 9 am and drove until nearly sunset, stopping only to eat and at Wal-Mart for provisions for the drive. My first goal that day was get off the interstate and switch highways with a lower speed limits. Finally at about 125 miles into driving the second day I started to relax a little and started to feel more comfortable driving the motorhome, each day I became a little more comfortable with the motorhome, and a lot more understanding of things I had read.

1st, when driving on the highway length of motorhome is not a big deal, and longer tends to be more stable in many ways. While before I bought I debated between 25-29 ft models, but after just a couple of days on the road, I knew I did not want anything shorter than what I had bought.

There are very few places a 25 ft class A can go that a 29 ft can't, neither one will fit in a single standard parking space, yet either one can fit in 2 spaces end to end, they are also both the same width and height.

Now less than a month later and another $500 in suspension upgrades, I just returned home from my first weekend trip, my college age son and I went to a festival about 200 miles away in Texas. Much of the drive down narrow Texas highways with 75 mph speed limits. I am not yet comfortable doing 75 mph on winding state highways with little to no shoulders, but I did sustain 70+ at times when the pavement was in good repair...

Overall I still feel I made the right choice for us within the realm of available choices, budget, etc. but I can see why people would buy other things, even those bus like monster diesel pushers are starting to look appealing at times. But for now I think I will stick with my Trek, as I can squeeze into places I would never dare venture with a giant rig. For example on the drive home today we stopped at a restaurant I like in a small town 50 miles from home for lunch, and only blocked 2 parking spaces at the back corner of the parking lot.

Overall all if I could give one bit of advice, buy something with good initial build quality, there is a lot of junk out there, built to be as cheap as possible, squeezing sleeping for 6 to 8 into a floorplan / chassis that can't support that number. Either through lack of bathroom / kitchen space, or cargo / tank capacities or both.
I'd consider not driving faster than 65...I know in Tx if you're not doing 80 you aggravate people but I'd just let them be aggravated.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohau8622 View Post
My spouse and I are considering the purchase of a motor home. We have never driven one but have been told they are very easy. I like space and comfort so perhaps a 30 ft. What are your suggestions on make and model. It's only us 2 and at times another couple so accommodations for 4 is a must. Suggestions please..
You may be different, but most folks wouldn't get much space and comfort in a 30', especially for four people! I would go up to at least a 35' to 40', even if you have to get an older model to stay within the budget. Those things don't stretch easily!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohau8622 View Post
I think most has been covered so far. It'd be good to know what kind of budget you're looking at as well as what kind of traveling/camping you think you'll be doing. As has been mentioned, a 30' rig will be a bit tight with 4 adults inside. We have a 38' rig and find it barely enough sometimes for us and our two kids when we're on longer trips. The larger rigs are going to offer more space, and many out there will have a proper fold out queen sleeper sofa, which would be so much better than a jack knife couch or a sleeper dinette.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our thoughts

Really, the decision on the type of equipment is different for everyone. My wife and I have had almost every RV imaginable from a Tent trailer up through a Class A motorhome. The class A is perfect for both of us. I'm good for the long haul and very comfortable that way. The wife is able to get up and roam when ever needed as we ride down the road. We live full time, so having a 40 foot rig is important especially since we have 2 full size dogs. We find that having a 40 foot rig makes it hard to get into a few campgrounds, but we are able to get into most. We are able to circumnavigate most roads with the 40 foot motorhome as well. Be sure to get a rig that has at least 350 Horse power so that you can comfortably pull a toad behind it.

Happy Trails!
luvdoggiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
A lot (EVERYTHING) depends on what you plan to do with it. If you're going on short trips every other weekend in the summer, a short 30' gasser would do just fine. If you're fulltiming, you better get a big 40' diesel or your wife will end up hating how you look. Just saying......
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #12

I agree with previous posters. It is impossible to make useful recommendations unless we know how you are going to use it. How often will you travel? How far will you go? What will you be doing when you get there? How long will you stay in one place?
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:54 PM   #13

I think a lot has to do with the individual people, as well as the layout and lifestyle in question. I just met three sisters over the weekend who were traveling together in a 24.1 Thor Vegas Class A, they said some of the time their elderly mother also traveled with them. The Vegas squeezes a lot of motorhome into a little space, including sleeping for 5 in theory (a permanent twin / king with insert rear bedroom, a drop down short twin, and a jacknife queen sofa bed) and 3 flat screen TV's (one of which is outdoors), it would have been on my short list before buying my Trek, except for the fact that there are no full length beds, just short RV length 74-75 inch beds and I am 6 feet tall.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #14

My advice would be to go bigger than you think you need. Our first motorized unit was a 25 ft C. We knew right away we needed more so we kept it for 2 years and went to a 31 ft C. Out grew it in 5 years and ended up with a 36 ft 5th wheel. Out grew it in 4 and just went into a 41 ft A. Had a hard time fitting the stuff from the 5er into the A. Informed DW she's out of space and no more stuff. I can't afford a 45 footer!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome