Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #15

Well, I called them. USAA actually isn't underwriting any new RV policies; they are simply re-selling Progressive.

You aren't affected by this because USAA isn't pushing existing policyholders to Progressive.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Mahlon,
Just for info, they bounce back and forth between underwriting and subbing out.( Can't seem to make up their mind, but as they say they "do it as a courtesy to their members").
True, you never know necessary which way they are going currently, but when they are using a sub out, they bit the bullet for the charge in premiums ( instead of marking up and passing on) to be as competitive as they can be. And if a claim is needed, it is handled by them, not third partied. Overall, they have been hard to beat in price checking against others.

HOWEVER, for those that are interested, they DO NOT provide total lost replacement for your rig. (Oh, I retired from there in '99)

I was just personally more surprised by the new FMCA insurance much higher quote as they are trying to get into the business, which in my case, not even completive.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:13 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
The rates must be regionally adjusted. In my area of So. Cal. the most expensive by a long way was Good Sam (GMAC). FMCA was almost half of what Good Sam wanted. In the middle was Progressive.

I won't be eligible to check AARP until next year.....
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Sarge

I'll bet if you contact AARP and tell them you are not a member, they will probably let you join and I am sure they will take your money for the insurance.

Dave O
P.S. I joined AARP as an associate member when I was 40, over 25 years ago.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe their policies have changed thru the years. I have an application on my desk that clearly states that the member must be at least 50 years of age. Thats ok, I be there in a few months.....
Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a hard time with FMCA and there insurance. The new insurance won't take on any vintage motorhomes and so I have stayed on with GMAC. They[GMAC], are commercial members of FMCA and they gave me the same rate as Camping World and Good Sam. My rates didn't go up this year so far and thats just fine with me!One thing that GMAC will do is insure for what the coach is valued at plus upgrades. My home is old but updated. I got policy upgraded to 30,000 plus personal affects $15,000. My toad is 87 but have $5000.value and $12,000 on the tools and personal items. I have had great service from them but not any luck with other company's so I'm staying with them! I have had GMAC for 9 going on 10 years now! Maybe its me, they love my old worn out body!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DSouthw524:
We had cheap insurance from a company that insured primarily cars some years ago. Our coach was parked in a campground when it wasd smashed into by a trash truck. The claims handling and the inability of the claims agents to understand that RVs are not like cars when they get crushed was an extremely painful experience. We moved our insurance to a company that insures RVs and have had a much better experience when we had another claim.

The point is cheapest is not always best. Make sure that the company actually has MH experience and provisions for things like expenses if any problem that occurs away from home. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advise, and since I've owned a few Harley's, I can tell you that sometimes you get a great quote initially, but it's then 'readjusted' shortly thereafter due to 'market conditions' or there is a HUGE increase after the first year.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
That is what Progressive did to me on the MH policy. Kinda surprised me. I still have Progressive for the Harley.