Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #15

Had Progressive since I bought my 2007 Camelot new. Lost it to a fire 2018. Had full replacement coverage. Had no problems with the claim. Got a check for the price I originally paid plus contents. Got a different MH and rate did not change much at all. That was the only claim I ever had with them. Price seems to be about +/- $100 of other companies.

Can't complain.

Carl
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 10:53 PM   #16
ptl

I was with the same insurance company for many years, got a discount through work and thought they were great. Had all my insurance with them, cars, house and motorhome. When I wanted to add my son to the policy they wanted $125.00 a month extra. I started shopping and ended up with 3 different policies. from 3 different insurance companies, 1 for the house, 1 for the cars and 1 for the motorhome. Added my son and ended up saving over $800.00 a year from what I was paying before without my son on the policy.

I now shop my insurance every year. I ended up going back to that company that wanted to raise the price so much for my son a few years later because they had the best price. Was with them for 1 year and changed again, I am normally changing companies every other year to save money. I shop with an independent agent along with all the major companies. When shopping I scan my declaration page showing the coverage I have and want and save it, then I call the companies and email them my saved declaration page. Some companies never call me back, oh well I guess they can not compete.

I encourage everyone to shop their insurance yearly or at least every other year. I have had claims with a few of the different companies and never had a problem with them handling my claim promptly and professionally. If you have been with 1 company for more than 10 years I am sure you are probably pay much more than you have to, unless you own the company.
ptl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:14 PM   #17

I have Safeco Insurance for 3 RVs (5th wheel, TT & MC) for $1,000 (Good Sam’s Membership).
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:50 AM   #18

I had USAA for years. Got stuck on a driveway. Called them to get towed. They would not come because I was not on a public roadway. They filed a claim on my insurance and raised my rated because of a claim. No more USAA. I have had Progressive on boats, motorcycles and other RV's-so far so good. Had two claims with Progressive, one on an RV and one on the sailboat. Both went well. I currently have Good Sam for the MH. We got some hail damage last summer and they did battle with the RV repair company to drive down the cost and upset them to the point that they were not going to make the repairs. Because I have done business with this company for years they went ahead with the work at the reduced cost.

Shop around.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:27 AM   #19

I'll answer your question. We have had Progressive for 6 years on the MH and are very happy with them. It is not the USAA/Progressive package. But insurance costs are different based on lots of things, including your garaged location, your credit rating and others. You really have to shop your own situation. But Progressive has treated us well including one damage claim and several glass claims.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #20

Thanks for all the comments based on experiences you have had. It seems that the way to go here is USAA for auto/home (bundle = lower price) and then separate policy (standalone) on the MH. It looks like Good Sam and National General are both highly rated with good reviews (MH insurance, only). It seems that the issue with MH insurance is that prices go up after first year, or two, then you end up shopping around for better price. Possibly this becomes and annual event??We have about 3 weeks to decide which way to go and it looks like my total skin will be around $1200, leaving whom I i now have for total insurance package. Crazy how prices are all over the place. and I am looking at full replacement cost on the MH coverage. (note: it also seems that National General is the main underwrite for a lot of of companies advertising "RV insurance)
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
<clip>
Lastly, I will NEVER insure anything again with USAA!! I wonder how long they had been "screwing" me every year with higher rates. 2 claims in 53 years!
Oh, and GEICO saved me over $1300 a year in premiums, and for higher coverage limits!

SHOP YOUR INSURANCE !!
We had USAA for home/auto for years but when we moved to FL their rates were significantly higher on auto and they wouldn't cover the house (age, hurricane concern as county on ocean, even though we are 14 miles inland). We went with Allstate for the whole shebang and added the TT when we bought it. However, the DW (as you stated above) did her due diligence and we ended up with GS for the TT insurance when it was time to renew. Fortunately no claims on either, so can't comment on which would be better.

Question: USAA used to offer yearly rebates if you had no claims, which reduced the net premium a good bit; do they not do this any more?
Old 02-13-2020, 10:03 AM   #22

I am a full timer so my options are limited. I went with Geico for the RV, Jeep and Harley plus an umbrella policy. A very good low premium. No claims so can’t respond to that. I’m am about to renew again in a month. Last year, my first renewal, my premium actually went down. Haven’t got my bill yet so don’t know yet if I will renew for a 3rd year yet.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donno View Post
I had insurance through USAA for about 25 years and they kept going up on both my homeowners and automobile insurance so I started asking around what other people were using and how they liked them. In my area (East TN) the overwhelming number recommended Farm Bureau Insurance so I got a quote that was less than half of USAA so I switched. That was 20 years ago and I've had 3 different claims on cars (teenagers) and they never increased my policy price. I also have my motorhome insured with them and it cost $410 per year for full coverage. I can't speak of Farm Bureau's in other states but I've been thrilled with their price and service.
We also have Farm Bureau (Ky) for everything except Bergman cycle.For that we have Geico .because FB doesn't insure Motorcycles although the Bergman is a 3 wheel.We've been with Farm Bureau for over 55yrs.Never a problem.
Aletta Hargis
rbh44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:53 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
We just got our first DP it is a 2000 I got prices from about 5 different co and good Sam/ national general was by far the least expensive and they let me set a declared value so Ir it gets totaled that’s the amount they pay. I declared 60k. I had been with geico for years but good Sam was 20% less.

I also have there roadside and tire protection. For the $ I could not find a better deal.

Have used the road side about 4 time 3 jump start (sill have to find that vampire draw) and one towing because the wife drove the toad to far over the dolly. Each service was acceptable but some took a long time.

I am in Phoenix and have full coverage on 3 cars and he coach for about 2400 a year.

That’s 100k 500k and 1000 deduct.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:07 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
First, I HAD insurance with USAA for 53 years, not anymore!

When I bought my first RV, they issued the policy thru Progressive, & it was a competitive quote.
Bought a new 2020 Newmar coach, sold the other one, Progressive added it for 2 months for $140. BUT, then came the new policy on the 2020, & WOW!
I decided to shop RV Insurance, & got a great quote from GEICO.
During the conversation, he mentioned "bundling", & I said I have USAA insurance. His reply, just for comparison, let me give you a quote.
I did, & now I have GEICO Insurance for all vehicles.

I called USAA, & questioned them about competitive rates. They told me it was nothing they could do, but "Thanks" for being a loyal customer for 53 years! Made me the maddest I've been in a long, long time! Mad at myself, too, for drinking the "USAA Kool-Aid" all these years! I knew for a fact that they were issuing policies to "new members" at lesser premiums, & when confronted, USAA admitted it! Made me even madder! They said, Oh, but "Thanks for your service"! Totally disgusted with USAA! They no longer care about the military, only about their profits!

Moral: I don't care who you have for insurance, check competitive quotes annually, at worst every 2 years! ALL of them will take advantage of you, if you let them.

Lastly, I will NEVER insure anything again with USAA!! I wonder how long they had been "screwing" me every year with higher rates. 2 claims in 53 years!
Oh, and GEICO saved me over $1300 a year in premiums, and for higher coverage limits!

SHOP YOUR INSURANCE !!
Thanks for sharing your experience with USAA. I cringe every time I see their ads and commercials. They could care less about your service to our country and your time in the military. It's all about the money. Money. Money. Money. I didn't come on here to talk bad about them, even though I really really could. And it wouldn't be talking "Bad" about them, it would just be me relaying my way less then stellar experiences with a Co. that hides behind the "Caring for the military members, so much." So thanks for sharing your experience and letting people know what they are truly about.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:23 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
We just got our first DP it is a 2000 I got prices from about 5 different co and good Sam/ national general was by far the least expensive and they let me set a declared value so Ir it gets totaled that’s the amount they pay. I declared 60k. I had been with geico for years but good Sam was 20% less.

I also have there roadside and tire protection. For the $ I could not find a better deal.

Have used the road side about 4 time 3 jump start (sill have to find that vampire draw) and one towing because the wife drove the toad to far over the dolly. Each service was acceptable but some took a long time.

I am in Phoenix and have full coverage on 3 cars and he coach for about 2400 a year.

That’s 100k 500k and 1000 deduct.
Wow that's a great price. We checked with good Sam at one point, but it was higher then GEICO which was really good until last yr. When I just so happened to get the wrong Agent on the phone, who told us a BOLD FACE lie. When we discovered he had lied to us we shopped around and got confirmation that he had lied to us about a "MANDATORY" law in Texas. Which wasn't true, it was just a Company policy that THEY have. Anywho, it's like Jabber Jaw Said, you gotta shop around every yr or every 2 yrs at worse if you want to stay competitive with your rates or get that "Better deal."
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:26 AM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Although they may be the cheapest we have stuck with state Farm for over 50 years. They have always been fair, easy to work with and prompt to respond to claims.
Same here, but then I was one of their agents for 28 years. I may be a little biased.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:52 PM   #28

Actually, I ended up going with National General as opposed to Progressive. Much higher ratings, and their plan, with full replacement costs and other items I did not have before, came in almost $600 less than my previous policy, which I cancelled today. I did end up with USAA on home and auto, which was also much less expensive.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motorhome