Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #1

Motorhome Insurance

Looking for responses back on personal experience re: price and satisfaction. I currently have a bundled policy with a well known company who I have had forever. We received policy statements yesterday and I was amazed at how much they want considering: bundle, safe driver, no accidents, multiple vehicles, etc. I am currently looking at USAA for home/auto and they move you to Progressive for MH plans. My question is for this who have the USAA/Progressive option, are you happy with it? We are also considering a standalone policy for the MH which could be Good Sam (uses underwriters), Foremost, National General, etc. I am totally open to recommendations here based on actual experience with cost vs service. Thanks for the help...
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 09:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Looking for responses back on personal experience re: price and satisfaction. I currently have a bundled policy with a well known company who I have had forever. We received policy statements yesterday and I was amazed at how much they want considering: bundle, safe driver, no accidents, multiple vehicles, etc. I am currently looking at USAA for home/auto and they move you to Progressive for MH plans. My question is for this who have the USAA/Progressive option, are you happy with it? We are also considering a standalone policy for the MH which could be Good Sam (uses underwriters), Foremost, National General, etc. I am totally open to recommendations here based on actual experience with cost vs service. Thanks for the help...
This morning my Independent insurance agent quote $450 for a 2008 Class B.
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:06 AM   #3

Although they may be the cheapest we have stuck with state Farm for over 50 years. They have always been fair, easy to work with and prompt to respond to claims.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have USAA/Progressive with no claims so unable to comment on a loss experience. When compared to other insurance company quotes we've found them competitive (not cheapest). While doing our comparisons Progressive has been very transparent about coverage / pricing including sending multiple written (e-mail) quotes on different scenarios.

I do recommend you shop around - make sure you do 'apples to apples' comparisons. Given your list below you should consider adding someone like the Miller Agency or another insurance brokerage.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #5

We have Progressive for RV and MC, separate policies. We have had two claims with no issue at all. They were on top of it from beginning to end and would recommend them.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
HighDesert --

For the last seven years I had a Progressive Direct (i.e. on-line) policy for my former travel trailer and former motorhome. Just a few months ago I used the FMCA insurance discount program and obtained a new Progressive policy from FMCA for about ~40% lower cost that my Progressive Direct policy. I also have Progressive Direct for my passenger vehicles at a very competitive price.

The insurance cost savings for me justified the FMCA membership price by many magnitudes.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I just reviewed my total Good Sam insurance, membership and road hazard policies. My major concern for reviewing is that unlike my lobster boat which has agreed upon value, my MH insurance payout if totaled is whatever the adjuster makes it. We all know NADA is many times way off in determining value. I cant change policies right now but will upon my renewal. FWIW I had a boat claim with Progressive that couldn’t have gone any easier or better.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I had insurance through USAA for about 25 years and they kept going up on both my homeowners and automobile insurance so I started asking around what other people were using and how they liked them. In my area (East TN) the overwhelming number recommended Farm Bureau Insurance so I got a quote that was less than half of USAA so I switched. That was 20 years ago and I've had 3 different claims on cars (teenagers) and they never increased my policy price. I also have my motorhome insured with them and it cost $410 per year for full coverage. I can't speak of Farm Bureau's in other states but I've been thrilled with their price and service.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
My question is for this who have the USAA/Progressive option, are you happy with it? We are also considering a standalone policy for the MH which could be Good Sam (uses underwriters), Foremost, National General, etc.
I'm a USAA member. I've had my cars insured by them forever, but have chosen not to insure the moho through them (I'm a fulltimer, so no homeowner's insurance).

Because I'm a fulltimer, I have limited choices on RV insurance. I had Blue Sky, but in 2017, they stopped offering RV insurance, so I shopped around and got quotes from a few different agents; it turned out that all were for Progressive.

At USAA, the additional premium for Progressive for the moho was going to be $2,131.

The standalone quote for the moho for Progressive through Miller Insurance was $1,756. (I used Miller in the past, but started getting pretty bad service from the agents there, so I'm not eager to use them again, but I will if the price is right.)

A quote from Good Sam for Progressive with cars was $1,920 for the moho portion.

I had my Blue Sky policy with Thum Insurance, and the replacement standalone policy with Progressive was going to be $1,821. If I added my cars to the Progressive policy through Thum, the premium for the moho would go down to $1,665. I don't remember what the premiums on the cars would be (which means it wasn't compelling), but the discount on the moho isn't much, and I would lose having my cars insured by USAA, which I'm reluctant to do because I've had good experience with them on claims in the past. (Although USAA banking? Unbelievably bad. But car insurance is great.)

I ended up staying with Thum and getting the Progressive policy they offered to replace the Blue Sky one. They also have a discount for paying in full in advance, so my actual payment was $1,731. That's $400 less than what the same Progressive policy was going to be through USAA.

I'll note that the policies I was getting quotes on were identical, so it pays to shop around. And past experience has led me to conclude that the premiums are lower through agents than if you buy from the insurance company directly.

I'd prefer to have the moho and the car we tow insured under the same policy, especially through USAA, but so far I haven't been persuaded to change from having the moho through one company and the cars through USAA.

As for Progressive itself, I've had only one claim on the moho--replacing a windshield. It went fine.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, I HAD insurance with USAA for 53 years, not anymore!

When I bought my first RV, they issued the policy thru Progressive, & it was a competitive quote.
Bought a new 2020 Newmar coach, sold the other one, Progressive added it for 2 months for $140. BUT, then came the new policy on the 2020, & WOW!
I decided to shop RV Insurance, & got a great quote from GEICO.
During the conversation, he mentioned "bundling", & I said I have USAA insurance. His reply, just for comparison, let me give you a quote.
I did, & now I have GEICO Insurance for all vehicles.

I called USAA, & questioned them about competitive rates. They told me it was nothing they could do, but "Thanks" for being a loyal customer for 53 years! Made me the maddest I've been in a long, long time! Mad at myself, too, for drinking the "USAA Kool-Aid" all these years! I knew for a fact that they were issuing policies to "new members" at lesser premiums, & when confronted, USAA admitted it! Made me even madder! They said, Oh, but "Thanks for your service"! Totally disgusted with USAA! They no longer care about the military, only about their profits!

Moral: I don't care who you have for insurance, check competitive quotes annually, at worst every 2 years! ALL of them will take advantage of you, if you let them.

Lastly, I will NEVER insure anything again with USAA!! I wonder how long they had been "screwing" me every year with higher rates. 2 claims in 53 years!
Oh, and GEICO saved me over $1300 a year in premiums, and for higher coverage limits!

SHOP YOUR INSURANCE !!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #11

We had Allied from new in 2013 through April of 2019. In the first three years the premium for full replacement went from $1250 to $1525. Then they wanted $2100 for the fourth year. We changed to actual value plus 10% and the premium increased to $1620. Then last May they wanted $2150 for the same coverage. I went looking and some quotes were close to $4,000. The lowest was Geico @ $475 semi annual. We switched MH and three vehicles to them. All were lower premiums. 10 days after the policy started, I had a cracked windshield which was over $3000 and they paid quickly. Second 6 month premium was the same as the first. So far, I couldn't be happier. I'm learning that I can't just stay with one company out of convenience, but need to check every year before renewal.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:18 PM   #12

We have USAA with Progressive, filed a $4500 claim with no issues. Very helpful and quick. My premium went up the next year by $500.00. But it will drop off this year.
ray999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
First, I HAD insurance with USAA for 53 years, not anymore!

When I bought my first RV, they issued the policy thru Progressive, & it was a competitive quote.
Bought a new 2020 Newmar coach, sold the other one, Progressive added it for 2 months for $140. BUT, then came the new policy on the 2020, & WOW!
I decided to shop RV Insurance, & got a great quote from GEICO.
During the conversation, he mentioned "bundling", & I said I have USAA insurance. His reply, just for comparison, let me give you a quote.
I did, & now I have GEICO Insurance for all vehicles.

I called USAA, & questioned them about competitive rates. They told me it was nothing they could do, but "Thanks" for being a loyal customer for 53 years! Made me the maddest I've been in a long, long time! Mad at myself, too, for drinking the "USAA Kool-Aid" all these years! I knew for a fact that they were issuing policies to "new members" at lesser premiums, & when confronted, USAA admitted it! Made me even madder! They said, Oh, but "Thanks for your service"! Totally disgusted with USAA! They no longer care about the military, only about their profits!

Moral: I don't care who you have for insurance, check competitive quotes annually, at worst every 2 years! ALL of them will take advantage of you, if you let them.

Lastly, I will NEVER insure anything again with USAA!! I wonder how long they had been "screwing" me every year with higher rates. 2 claims in 53 years!
Oh, and GEICO saved me over $1300 a year in premiums, and for higher coverage limits!

SHOP YOUR INSURANCE !!
Me too! I have been a USAA customer since 1983, but they are not the same company they used to be.

They do have superior service and claims, but are no longer competitive and they rely upon us older customers to keep renewing every year, regardless of what happens to the rates.

-------------

With our Tiffin, we shop around each year. There is no incentive to be loyal to an insurance company as they are never loyal to us. Last year, we got a 30% increase with no claims, no accidents and no tickets. We went to GOOD SAM who shopped around and offered us the best deal.

Again...YMMV. The only guarantee with insurance is that it is going to increase each to insure a vehicle that is guaranteed to be worth less each year!
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We have had Farmers for a number of years. I always complain when the bill comes!
I recently had a mechanical issue with the front end and crashed into a apartment complex. I remember looking around at all the damage to property and my motorhome, as well as the hazmat and tow trucks! All I could think of was wow I hope I have enough coverage for all of this!!
I contacted Farmers the same day, I had money in my account to more than cover the replacement cost on my RV within 4 days of the accident. I never saw 1 bill for any of the other stuff.
A lady living in the apartment filed a lawsuit against me for emotional stress. Farmers handled it and I never heard any more about it.
I still cringe when I see the bill . They did not jack the premiums up on my replacement RV. I have checked around, and my premiums are competitive with other companies.
FCOKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motorhome