Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
I started out with Progressive-- still have my cars with them-- but switched to National General for the moho two years ago and saved a good 20%. Had my catalytic converters stolen last year and they paid full factory replacement value, quickly and without hassle. I actually made money on the deal as I replaced them with aftermarket converters rather than buying the factory parts. Great service from them so far!
In the last 3 years moving from a Class A Gasser with Allstate(inlcuding my cars) then a DP advised by my agent to go to Progressive to save money which I did for that DP and then bought the current DP in March, still checked around and stuck with Progressive until renewal was up end of May. Price went up over $600 a year, agent at Progressive had no reason to explain the big hike so shop around and ended up with National General, as well. Not only was it cheaper but coverage in some areas was better and the cost dropped by the $600 upper plus another $300... Seems in Florida it's not just the homeowners and Flood insurance increases are crazy but the car and RV insurance as well. BTW have not had an accident or anything else with one minor exception a few years back where I had my windhshield replaced in my Gasser due to taking a hit from a rock that ended up cracking a major portion of the windshield. Was told by my Allstate agent that the insurance companies now take windshield replacement into the calculation for up to 5 years. National agreed said my policy would've been about $150 cheaper than I was paying. So though you might not paying a deductible on windshield replacement, you'll pay for it just in your . Funny thing is I provided all the info on thedump truck that shot the rock into my windshield but when offered up the info and picture of the truck they couldn't use it. Seems they aren't responsible for it but we now pay for it, at least in Florida, anyway. So my vote for this year is National General and I got quotes from more than a half dozen other insurance companies.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had Nat Gen. Then the next year it went up 50%. Watch out.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:35 AM   #17

Everyone seems to have different experiences with the same company. For awhile we had Progressive till they started bumping the rate. Then we were with Allied till they started the same game. I checked around two years ago when Allied wanted to bump the MH from $1560 up to $2045 and went with Geico for $970/year for the same coverage. I also switched 4 other vehicles along with our WI home and umbrella policies to Geico and saved hundreds on each policy. Will probably give them our AZ home at renewal time. I've had two $3500 windshield claims on the motorhome which they covered quickly. I'll see what happens with the rates, but my daughter has been with Geico for 20 years and never had a problem with claims.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:15 PM   #18

I've had numerous insurance carriers. I quote my MH, cars, house, boat, and umbrella policy every year.

Unless you are a full timer, MH coverage is not that much different than other vehicle coverages. Contents coverage is one area and will be up to how much stuff you usually have in your rig. Don't double cover though....much of that may be already covered in a homeowners policy, so check with your agent.

I had Progressive until they cheated me big time on a claim on my pickup that took a hit from a bunch of rocks thrown at me from a rock-carrying semi. Good thing because Farmers beat them big time on rates. But then Farmers started jacking rates, so now with Auto Owners. But I've had other brands going back decades.

The one constant seems to be that sooner or later they think you're not looking and jack the rates. I'm not loyal to any of them.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:56 AM   #19
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was with National General for a number of years, and I guess as with everything, they always has an increase every renewal time. This year when I received my renewal notice, with the usual increase, there was a sum that supposedly I owe them.

It's a good thing that I kept good records; last year I received $ from them supposedly as a Covid-19 relief. That same amount is what they added up to my renewal. When I called to question this, they shyly admitted that it was a mistake and that they would give me credit for it. So, shopped around for another insurance provider and I switched.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I had Nat Gen. Then the next year it went up 50%. Watch out.
I kind of expected that after they paid to replace my catalytic converters, but the annual renewal bill just arrived and the premium change was minor… no more than the typical year-to-year increase.

As for Geico, I boycotted them for years as they were big time Congressional lobbyists in support of the 55 mph speed limit long after the 70s fuel crisis was over. I never forgave them for that, but they are literally half price on my homeowners insurance over Farmers and Progressive, so I've finally relented after nearly 40 years of boycotting them. My daughter has her house insured through them too and they were much cheaper for her as well.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:55 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It seems to me from my own personal experience plus friends and even those on this forum that it seems in many instances insurance companies seem to lull you to sign up with low prices on your first year then slams you with a good increase. I know that it's JMO but you usually don't see that in Car insurance only RV maybe even moreso in Motorhomes.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
It seems to me from my own personal experience plus friends and even those on this forum that it seems in many instances insurance companies seem to lull you to sign up with low prices on your first year then slams you with a good increase. I know that it's JMO but you usually don't see that in Car insurance only RV maybe even moreso in Motorhomes.
I tend to agree with you. My first windshield replacement came 10 days after going with Geico. Four six month premiums since and no increase. Actually, all of my auto policies went down when I recently added our home and umbrella. Time will tell.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:11 PM   #23

State Farm for me.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
GEICO for us. The gecko has always done us right.
I'm leaving geico for the sole reason that I can not even view my coverage for any of my vehicles all because I have a bundle.
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 06:37 AM   #25

We have been with USAA for over 35 years for all our insurance. Their rates and service are exceptional. But... when we bought our first MH 7 years ago we quickly found out they do not insure RVs. USAA does have an affiliation with Progressive and they passed us off to them at a discounted price. I compared this price to Geico, Farmers, State Farm, etc... and on average we pay 600-700 less with Progressive. Very happy with Progressive.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
We went with Foremost (AARP). Great coverage and the lowest cost ($2000 under Progressive and almost $3000 under Allstate).
Note: Only the coach is with Foremost. The house and cars are with Progressive.
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #27

Check with your homeowners insurance. We have American Family and bundle our home, cars, RV, trailer, and motorcycles.
tlc4texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #28
tnl

I use National General/Good Sam. They were much cheaper than Shelter, which I had the previous RV with. Last year I had hail damage repaired and working with the National General was as easy as can be. I did see a rate increase and attributed that to the hail repair, but the increase was only about $10 per month more.
tnl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motor, motorhome