Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #1

Motorhome insurance

We are purchasing a 2017 Newmar coach and are wondering where everyone gets their insurance and also the ins an outs of insuring one of these. It is our first motorhome and I don't want to find out that I had missed something. Thanks for any help in this matter. Kindest regards and thank in advance. David
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2021, 12:19 PM   #2

Progressive has always had the best rates for me.
blueeyedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:20 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We use Progressive for everything, cars, motorhome, boat, trailer, whatever. Been happy with them so far. Found out that purchasing through an agent is cheaper than going directly to the website. No idea why that is. Our motorhome dealer had an agent in their dealership. They were able to get us better rates than we had quoted online for our new rig and they even reviewed our auto coverage to get us better rates for our current cars We like the GAP and roadside that we get from them but have never had to use either.

We had GEICO for decades and were also happy with them. One year they started raising our rates for no reason. No tickets, no accidents, no claims. When we called they would lower them and if we had a quote from another source they would beat it. Then they wouldn't. So we switched to Progressive. Better coverage, lower price. But shop around. We check insurance coverage and cost once a year. So far, Progressive has stayed at the top in both for us. Your situation might be different and it pays to shop around.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #4

In 11 years I've gone through a lot of insurance companies...
When I first got ,y class a I went through AAA because I had their +RV Roadside plan...
Then I switched over to Good Sam's road side plan (what a mistake that was...) and their preferred insurance carrier (the price break was offset by the roadside plan, so no savings there...) Then when I moved to Connecticut, from Florida... my rates went way up and coverage went way down (even though the usage also went down...) So, I switched to Progressive (better rate, but limited coverage). I'm now with my homeowners insurance (Nationwide) and getting multi policy discounts on car, home motorcycle, boat and RV...
The path of least resistance was going through my insurance broker, I just sent him a fact sheet of all my equipment and let him negotiate.
bobphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #5

GEICO for us. The gecko has always done us right.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #6

Was with nationwide they were good till I purchased a new to me coach and then they started gouging so went with auto owners this time. A lot more reasonable
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy67 View Post
My wife and I are purchasing a 2017 diesel pusher and were wondering where everyone gets their insurance? Thanks in advance and kind regards, David
I insure mine through Erie. I actually have all my property through them. Their customer service is phenomenal.

I’ve had to make a claim on a few occasions, and each time their adjuster has just said “go ahead and send me an estimate”. I had the body shop send the estimate over and I had the money wired to my account the same day. Their claims process has been 100% no hassle.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #8

Progressive for us. We also use an agent for all of our insurance needs and he does the legwork for us. We have used him for at least 30 years now and will be looking for another when he retires. Price is fair but we haven't had any claims so cant comment on service.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #9

I use good sam/national ins.. only because they cover personal items and tools in rv.. that's a biggie.. I have older rv.. but stuff I have loaded I rv is worth more than rv.. I am probably only one like that.. but you have to consider all you personal items.. they can really add up.. and tools and supplies.. then I like medical protection added for camp site accidents. In case you trip and break foot, shocked.. ect.. but I know a lot of higher end coach owners have umbrella policy.. one thing that been popping up.. in this hot market.. coach owners that get their coach stolen.. find out they are not carrying a rider for more than what they paid.. coaches that are same as what you have are going for as much as 50% over retail and then there is all the time to find one.. so riders on newer coaches is a must.. thieves just want parts because of high demand.. so carry rider as high as you can afford or justify because the insurance companies will use the cheapest junk yard price to pay claims, to get attorneys involved is 50 to 30% of claims and then 5 to 10yrs of litigation.. also if you are full time.. you are going to need a place to stay..good luck and let us know what you did..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy67 View Post
My wife and I are purchasing a 2017 diesel pusher and were wondering where everyone gets their insurance? Thanks in advance and kind regards, David
The best thing you can do is talk to an independent agent, tell them exactly what you want, such as windshield coverage, tire coverage, and maybe roadside assistance. You'll have several quotes to choose from, then in a year, do it again.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #11

State Farm for us for everything. I have roadside assistance with them also. Great service.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your gonna laugh, Allstate was hundreds less than Progressive. I got an agent who found every possible discount. And since then have dropped all Comp & Collusion saving thousands more per year. Keep a large slush fund.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The reality is there is no one correct answer that works for everyone. Insurance companies review many individual variables when issuing a quote, and each one does it a bit differently.

You need to shop for insurance just like you most likely shopped for your coach. If you don't want to contact individual companies yourself, then you might want to find an independent agent, but keep in mind they don't represent all insurance companies.

It looks like you might be located in the pacific NW so you might want to contact Miller Insurance Agency They are located in Lake Oswego, OR, and are experienced in dealing with RV insurance.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:15 PM   #14

I started out with Progressive-- still have my cars with them-- but switched to National General for the moho two years ago and saved a good 20%. Had my catalytic converters stolen last year and they paid full factory replacement value, quickly and without hassle. I actually made money on the deal as I replaced them with aftermarket converters rather than buying the factory parts. Great service from them so far!

Tags
insurance, motor, motorhome