Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #29

What I don't like about insurance companies is the profiling. A person that turns 16 and just starts driving shouldn't have to pay more than an older person because a study says younger drivers have more accidents. That's profiling because you are saying the person is a higher risk based on what someone else did. Just like saying because muslims did 9/11 you can't look at them anymore than anyone else.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I had Progressive insurance and switched to GMAC (Good Sam) and saved $700 a year for identical coverage 3 years ago. Very satisfied so far.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #31

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
What I don't like about insurance companies is the profiling. A person that turns 16 and just starts driving shouldn't have to pay more than an older person because a study says younger drivers have more accidents. That's profiling because you are saying the person is a higher risk based on what someone else did. Just like saying because muslims did 9/11 you can't look at them anymore than anyone else.
You must realize that younger people have more and more severe accidents, it is fact not conjecture. I was young, I know exactly how I drove, I was the best and the fastest. Yes, older drivers, also tend to have more accidents than lets say the mid age drivers, but there is considerable more experience as well. While I don't always agree with how the insurance companies come up with their rate structures, I really don't think you can come close to comparing them with 9/11 in anyway or form. I don't know what the answer is, how would you make a rate structure? What would it consist of? And not just make a flat rate for all. No matter how much we disagree with insurance companies they are a needed element of this society.

Disclaimer - I am not in the insurance industry, any shape or form, I just pay my bill at the lowest rate possible

And staying with the thread - I check on rates of companies every two years, and if necessary I change. I don't agree with our discounts not rolling over, but then my new rate usually beats that last one anyway.

For those in California, this is an interesting link to read.

After reading that link again, it was too much like an advertisement, I deleted it
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Right now my son is going thru a hastle with Progressive. He was rearended with someone also insured by Progressive. the adjuster told him his 2003 chevy astro with arough tradein value of $2900 was only worth $900 and he would have to sue to get more.
Same thing happened with me when my daughter blew a stop sign (DWHUA). Found out most if not all insurance companies pay what the avereage auction prices are in that area. So even if you have a pristine whatever, they will only pay what the average is at the auctions. It doesn't matter that the things that go through auctions are many times motor vehicles in the loosest sense of the term.

Unless you put up a good fight. I got an arbitrator involved and fought them. I had before pictures of the vehicle and then went to an auction and took pictures of the same type vehicles showing the difference in condition. I was able to get them to come around to my way of thinking.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #33

We have State Farm 3 vehicles, home 1000k ded., and 300/500k. less than 600 per yr, 3 W/s claims. Safe driver that rate is for less than 5000 mi per yr, and coach is stored on our property under cover, and yes our agent visits once a year for home inspection of the house.

You did not mention your driveing record tickets?
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Checkout National Interstate Ins. Company. I have had them for 4 yrs now. My agent is thru LaysDays RV dealership here in Fla., in their insurance section. When I was full timing up till last Nov., 2010, I paid $1105 for full coverage, replacment if totaled is at what I paid for MH 4 yrs. ago, $81,000. Have 1000 deductable with reducing $250 each yr. $50,000/$100,000 liab. Comp and Coll, Fire, Theft, Uninsured, Towing, Living Expense, etc.

I did file a claim (two in 2010). I hit a parked car with the right rear corner of the MH, my fault. They took care of eveyrthing and not one problem. Then two weeks later I had a blow out destroying the right rear outside tire, which then destroyed the compartment just rear of the blow out. Again, they payed for complete repairs to restoring the compartment! No questions, sent out a check to the body shop the same day I sent pictures of the damage in the AM to National Interstate. Also, they specialize in RV ins. Currently since I am no longer full timing and will be using my MH only five months or less, my ins. has dropped to $954!
2004 NRV Dolphin 5355, 24' Pace Shadow trailer, inside is a "2011 Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year" and 2011 Reno, NV. Hot August Nights "Best Restored Stock Car", 1970 Olds F85 W-31, Rally Red, 4 speed, 1 of 5 in this color, only 207 built
davebw31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
In MHO when you buy insurance you need to plan for the "worst case" accident and pray that it never happens. When you have low limits you could find yourself still paying a huge sum of money out of your own pocket even after your insurance company has paid out your policy limit. In this day of million dollar law suits a policy with low limits can leave you crying the blues.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Good point, one should also consider "full replacement" coverage
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We went with GMAC thru FMCA...for 2 years now, been happy, no rate increase, have full coverage, 2 cars, 09 Fit and 07 Solstice and paid $2200 for 2011....all three vehicles. Like deductible covers coach and toad....one deductible if you have accident while towing. Been happy with them this far.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
We have been with State Farm for over 5 years...no tickets, no claim on house or cars...one claim in 2009 from an electrical surge in a storm on a 99 winnebago for around $3000....the big change in our policy was the getting the 2009 DP from the 03 gas....almost 4 times the amount.

Tracy
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #39

Would highly recommend Farm & City in Forest City, IA. I shopped around extensively and they won my business because they were a pleasure to work with and got me the best rates.
11595gulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
In MHO when you buy insurance you need to plan for the "worst case" accident and pray that it never happens. When you have low limits you could find yourself still paying a huge sum of money out of your own pocket even after your insurance company has paid out your policy limit. In this day of million dollar law suits a policy with low limits can leave you crying the blues.
This is the for sure truth.

When we put in a built in swimming pool a few years ago, we added a million dollar "umbrella policy." While it attaches to our homeowners, it is a general personal liability policy, covering my family and everything we own, it goes above and beyond all the policy liability and medical limits and applies to our home and our vehicles. It is very inexpensive coverage too.

highly recommended for some peace of mind.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #41

Dixieray53,
I don't know how old the "principal driver" is on your policy. A good friend told me that when he turned 65 years old, his insurance policy on his motorhome and cars went up.
I guess he was trying to prepare me for the future. HA! HA!
Good luck in your search for the same insurance @ a better price.
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by YosemiteBobR View Post
You must realize that younger people have more and more severe accidents, it is fact not conjecture. I was young, I know exactly how I drove, I was the best and the fastest. Yes, older drivers, also tend to have more accidents than lets say the mid age drivers, but there is considerable more experience as well. While I don't always agree with how the insurance companies come up with their rate structures, I really don't think you can come close to comparing them with 9/11 in anyway or form. I don't know what the answer is, how would you make a rate structure? What would it consist of? And not just make a flat rate for all. No matter how much we disagree with insurance companies they are a needed element of this society.

Disclaimer - I am not in the insurance industry, any shape or form, I just pay my bill at the lowest rate possible

And staying with the thread - I check on rates of companies every two years, and if necessary I change. I don't agree with our discounts not rolling over, but then my new rate usually beats that last one anyway.

For those in California, this is an interesting link to read.

After reading that link again, it was too much like an advertisement, I deleted it

I'm not saying they don't have more but till they do have an accident it should be the same. I for one never had an accident but they didn't give me my money back. Thats what's bad about society now days they blame everybody for what someone else did. And as far as comparing it to 9/11 I said profiling...it's illegal except the insurance companies.Look up criminal profiling in Wikipedia. It says behavoral tool. That just what they are doing.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote