Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2020, 06:35 PM   #57

Our 36' is over 38'.

What about your width?

This model is a wide body, but i thought there was a legal maximum for that.

I thought what was legally allowed was up to 8' 6". Our Coach width is 8' 8" (fiberglass side to side) and that's not including the mirrors which are mounted on the sides.

No wonder my wife feels our Coach is taking up the entire lane, no issue for me.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2020, 07:32 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I think a lot of manufacturers measure inside to inside for length. Our 40 is also 41'4" and that probably doesn't include the ladder.
Don't forget, they didn't include the windshield wipers, That's another 3".
Jautry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #59

I've bult and sold boats that are 36' 8 1/2" long and I sold it as a 38. My last boat was a 46 and was actually 51 including the bow sprit but it was marketed as a 46. I think it's whatever the marketing department wanted it to be. My 37 is a tad longer, but 37 works. It's a marketing thing more than a physical dimension.
Bob
'14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:05 PM   #60

The only difference if you were a boat is marinas charge by length. RV sites have length limits but I have a lift on the back of my 40' Motorhome for my motorcycle and I just say 40' ... why give them something to get nervous about?
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:24 PM   #61

I think this whole thing about length started with boats but in the other direction. A boat that is called a 38 footer could be 37 feet 6 inches but of course if you add in the swim platform and bow pulpit it grows to 43 feet 7 inches and the manufacture might call it a 44 footer.... it's all marketing !!!
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:14 PM   #62

Yes...we have a 40' Windsor as well, and it too is closer to 42'. There must be a reason manufacturer's can't measure correctly.
Actually, I do believe the measurement is pre-bumpers etc.
soberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:12 AM   #63

I hypothesize...

... that the simple number is really just to keep it that: simple.
That and the difference between the design process and the practicality of making it exactly that length is pert near impossible especially when plopping the box onto chassis’ of different manufacturers.
Both of my class C coaches were longer than their model number indicated:
‘08 Fleetwood 26Q - 27’0”
‘18 Thor 26HE - 27’6”
... (both Ford) in case anyone gives a hoot.

Travel On, Travelers!

Scotty
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:45 AM   #64

Solved for me

I asked a grumpy old RV mechanic how an RV was measured. He tells me the manufacturer measures what they added to the chassis, then he told me to get off his lawn.

So I measured from the back wall of the bedroom to just behind the driver seat and it came out to 28 ft on my 34L southwind, hmmm. I continue to measure to the dash board and that comes to 34 ft, bumper to bumper is 36 ft.

This is solved for me.
95Southwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:31 AM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You’re correct, but don’t tell your coach is 41’ not 40’ to the guy that comes to wash and wax your coach. ;-)
Hector1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #66

Shopping with my son last summer for a used class C, we noticed most that had model numbers like 2850DS or similiar were usually over 31 feet long. Yep, confusing.

My Sportscoach model is 36DL, and the brochure listed length is 36'2". However, I've never put a tape measure to it, especially with the mirrors and ladder sticking out.

As far as length goes when I'm booking a campsite, I'll use 34' if the campground lengths are listed as shorter, or, if I'm talking to someone and they ask me how big my RV is, well then it is 37 feet! DW just rolls her eyes.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #67

How long?

Hey all, Happy New Year!! Hope this one is better than the last one I think this may be my first post. Retiring soon so I must get on board with this posting stuff. My Monaco 43DFT is actually 44'3".
George
jeepfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXduo View Post
I like this definition ... Won't be excluded from parks as I'm 40-' from dash to closet doors. So while I barely squeeze (with minimal walking room) into my 52' barn with my DOT max length coach, a forty foot park restriction is not a problem anymore. 🤗
If that closet is on the back wall, interior living length would include the depth of that too. My 2620 Class C was ~28 ft but inside including the depth of the cab overhead bed space, it was ~26 ft.
Happy New Year!
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:26 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I always assumed that our Windsor 40PBT is 40' long. WRONG! I measured it and it's actually 41' 4" head to tail. Don't know that this makes any difference but just shows that we really can't assume anything!
I do not have time to read all the post, but RV manufactures are taxed by length so I have been told. So all stated lengths are inside measurements. It is true for all RV's. Trailers, buses, tent trailers, etc..
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Calif.

No bumbers on most DP units that I know of.

No weight limits on Motorhomes for the most part, it does apply to 5th wheels etc.

Would be interested in knowing what written test you were given Mangles.

I'm generalizing here of course.
Testing was a confusing mess.
The first DMV I went to told me my Class C license was all I needed. So, no new tests were required. The dealer also stated the same, since the RV was a '40'. But, I knew from discussion on this topic that our new rig was over 40'. In speaking to some CHP friends, tell all said about the same. That they would not measure the rig in a routine traffic stop. But in case of an auto accident, a closer review would be made.

So I went to another nearby DMV office that I thought would be more knowledgeable. They said, 40' with airbrakes requires me to take exams for my current ratings, and the Airbrake exam. After I completed those, they informed me, that I now needed to take the exam for emergency vehicles.

I challenged this statement and asked for the reference they were quoting. They showed me the requirements for a commercial driver. I reminded them this is for an RV. And then I took their damn test. Afterwards, their computer system rejected their inputs. Told me now I needed to take a driving test and that I would need to contact another DMV in South San Jose. This I learned is a Commercial Driving Test Office.

OK, a road test on top of all the other exams. At the start of this appointment, I was told I only needed to take the California 'Noncommercial Class B (45' house-car) exam. Which was the one test I had not previously taken.

Bottom-line:
1. You need to take the written California 'Noncommercial Class B (45' housecar) exam.
2. You have to take the road test driving exam that lasts over an hour as they have you drive on surface streets, freeways, and back into a parking space from a 90 degree position.

As a footnote, my Class B endorsement states 'Restrictions: 50-Customized restrictions on file -Contact DMV 80-Class B-operate fire fighting equip only'

So, there you have it. You only need one new written exam, one road test, and weeks of frustration as most California DMV offices have no idea what to do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Noncommercial Class B (45' housecar) Requirements.pdf (138.4 KB, 46 views)
mangles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome