Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2021, 11:44 PM   #71

I rented a 20x40 storage garage for my Monaco 38' thinking I had plenty of extra room to fit inside. Not so fast, the coach overall is 39'4", ok, that should work. Slow down now, imagine my surprise when the coach wouldn't fit because the garage measurements were outside measurements. Inside dimensions lost just over a foot to account for the structure. Bummer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #72

Ahhh, the Wonderful World of California! Makes you wonder what basket of dimwits came up with their regulations, and, then forgot to train the high paid with bankrupting legacy costs state employees.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #73

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, New York State isn't any better, the Step Child State to California.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #74

I went through the same dilemma when we bought our Allegro Bus 37AP...but is just under 40 feet. Could not get a straight answer via DMV so I went to the local CHP office and they brought me the Class A inspector. He asked what is my my question......
Me: what license do I need for a class A motorhome 39 feet 6 inches total length.... Officer:Class C license
Me: it weighs over 40,000 lbs...Officer: Class C
Me: It has air brakes Officer: Class C
Me: I will be towing a Jeep 4 door... Officer: Class C

He then pulled the DMV code book copied a page and highlighted for me the regulations (which I keep in the coach next to registration). He said bottom line under 40 feet in the state of CA you are classified as a house car and only need a class C license......WHEW!!! I took down his name, office and phone and told him if I am ever stopped due to this I was calling him, he laughed and said call me anytime!

I did ask about the weight rating on the back of our CA license for under 26,000 lbs. He said that is for towed trailers. He said about 80% of toy haulers are over weight and drivers have improper license.
MTrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #75
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrif View Post
I went through the same dilemma when we bought our Allegro Bus 37AP...but is just under 40 feet. Could not get a straight answer via DMV so I went to the local CHP office and they brought me the Class A inspector. He asked what is my my question......
Me: what license do I need for a class A motorhome 39 feet 6 inches total length.... Officer:Class C license
Me: it weighs over 40,000 lbs...Officer: Class C
Me: It has air brakes Officer: Class C
Me: I will be towing a Jeep 4 door... Officer: Class C

He then pulled the DMV code book copied a page and highlighted for me the regulations (which I keep in the coach next to registration). He said bottom line under 40 feet in the state of CA you are classified as a house car and only need a class C license......WHEW!!! I took down his name, office and phone and told him if I am ever stopped due to this I was calling him, he laughed and said call me anytime!

I did ask about the weight rating on the back of our CA license for under 26,000 lbs. He said that is for towed trailers. He said about 80% of toy haulers are over weight and drivers have improper license.
But did you ask him how it needs to be measured???? If you could post a picture of that page I would love to have it in my files.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #76

RV Length

The model number represents the length from the Firewall of the chassis back to the rear. If you open your front access you'll see the distance from the firewall to the front of the RV accounts for difference.
btgilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:03 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I tape measured my rig before I purchased it because of the 40 foot limit for a class C license. I measured it from bumper to bumper. Did not measure mirrors or ladder. It was exactly 40 feet as advertised. I always thought manufacturer’s minimized the size as most buyers prefer the larger floor plan in a shorter size to fit in more campgrounds. I noticed that the Entegra’s have no ladder. I am always up there washing and repairing or replacing antennas, vents, or AC. I would be interested if California would include ladder in the length?
Old 01-04-2021, 11:03 PM   #78

Have my rig in for annual service will post a picture of the page when I get it back maybe next week.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:40 PM   #79

I found this post in another forum but answers the question on how length is measured......I also checked the CA handbook and it has a diagram from front to rear furthest point excluded ladder...note is not the model number but tale of the tape. I keep a copy of the manufacturer spec sheet with registration....just in case.

Here is the post I copied...note for CA....
The law reads any housecar (CA name) that is "over" 40 feet requires a Class B NCDL.

If your MH is 40'-1"... you are over 40' and require this license.Since our motor homes don't have "bumper"s, the mh is measured from the front's furthest most portion of fiberglass body to the rear's furthest most portion of the fiberglass body. Mirrors and ladders are excluded.
MTrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #80
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrif View Post
I found this post in another forum but answers the question on how length is measured......I also checked the CA handbook and it has a diagram from front to rear furthest point excluded ladder...note is not the model number but tale of the tape. I keep a copy of the manufacturer spec sheet with registration....just in case.

Here is the post I copied...note for CA....
The law reads any housecar (CA name) that is "over" 40 feet requires a Class B NCDL.

If your MH is 40'-1"... you are over 40' and require this license.Since our motor homes don't have "bumper"s, the mh is measured from the front's furthest most portion of fiberglass body to the rear's furthest most portion of the fiberglass body. Mirrors and ladders are excluded.
Any chance you could post a photo of that Ca Handbook? It might be something new and I would really really appreciated it. Thanks

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:57 PM   #81

Gang, sorry for the delay but forgot a couple of times when I was in the coach to snap a photo of the DMV code book regarding Class C DL for "house Cars" under 40 feet. Note section 3E House Car under 40 feet towing another vehicle (Toad or dolly) is under the Class C license in CA.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #82

So, when you book a stay at an RV park, what length do you tell them?
Old 03-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyjcbs View Post
So, when you book a stay at an RV park, what length do you tell them?

I always tell them my 30 footer is 32 foot so they don't jam me in some space that is too tight
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome