Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Motorhome maintenance education wanted

I bought my first MH this year and it is a new 2021. I am looking to tap into your knowledge and experience on how best to maintain it. I know about the plumbing winterization and engine maintenance, but what things on these complicated monsters are not obvious to newbies? IE; the dealer gave me a spray can for the seals. Do I just spray it on all the rubber seals on slides, windows, doors and then wipe off? Do it once a year, every year starting now or wait a year or two? I don’t want to spend my life obsessing about every little thing, but what are important things that should be done to lessen the chance of future problems?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2021, 09:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky1 View Post
I bought my first MH this year and it is a new 2021. I am looking to tap into your knowledge and experience on how best to maintain it. I know about the plumbing winterization and engine maintenance, but what things on these complicated monsters are not obvious to newbies? IE; the dealer gave me a spray can for the seals. Do I just spray it on all the rubber seals on slides, windows, doors and then wipe off? Do it once a year, every year starting now or wait a year or two? I don’t want to spend my life obsessing about every little thing, but what are important things that should be done to lessen the chance of future problems?
Some things are manufacturer specific, and you can go into those forums for that. But the basic stuff, Google, YouTube, and the forum search function are you best friend.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky1 View Post
Here are few things I do:

Quarterly

Use the spray you have as you described on the slide seals, inside seals of the cargo bay doors. You can either spray it on and wipe off or spray on a rag and wipe.

Use WD40 on your jacks, spray on when you are about to raise the jacks so the lubricant gets up into the jack.

On your slides, underneath on the moving parts, use a dry lube product. I spray on right before I am about the bring the slides in.

Front diamond shield, I keep coated with 303. 303 is like Armour All but is a water based product and will not dry out the rubber (you can use 303 in lieu of the spray you have. I also use 303 on the tires, will not inhibit drying.

Check your water level in your batteries and fill with distilled water. I check mine quarterly.

Kwikee makes a lube for the steps (you can get it on Amazon). Lube all moving parts quarterly or as needed.

I have not done this yet, but will this weekend, use dry lube on all moving parts of the awning.

Just a few things I do on a regular basis, hope this helps you. Safe Travels!!
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #4

Search Youtube for monthly/annual maintenance videos. Many have a checklist linked in the description. You might have to modify if for your coach but it's a start. If you go to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC3...Id1Yvvl0Bs_VoA or www.todayissomeday.net you should be abe to find their maintenance schedule. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post

Quarterly

Use the spray you have as you described on the slide seals, inside seals of the cargo bay doors. You can either spray it on and wipe off or spray on a rag and wipe.

Use WD40 on your jacks, spray on when you are about to raise the jacks so the lubricant gets up into the jack.

On your slides, underneath on the moving parts, use a dry lube product. I spray on right before I am about the bring the slides in.

Front diamond shield, I keep coated with 303. 303 is like Armour All but is a water based product and will not dry out the rubber (you can use 303 in lieu of the spray you have. I also use 303 on the tires, will not inhibit drying.

Check your water level in your batteries and fill with distilled water. I check mine quarterly.

Kwikee makes a lube for the steps (you can get it on Amazon). Lube all moving parts quarterly or as needed.

I have not done this yet, but will this weekend, use dry lube on all moving parts of the awning.

My opinion do not use WD40 on jacks it removes all oils and is not a lubricant. To lube jacks put some transmission fluid in spray bottle.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
NXR

You need to read that pile of manuals you should have received and start making your own to-do list because it really does depend.

For example, some slide mechanism manufacturers say to never lube them, some say to use a dry PTFE on the pinion gears only, some slides are hydraulic, and some are cable. If you follow generic advice given here you could cause the damage you're trying to avoid.

Ray
Old 07-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post

Quarterly

Excellent info, thank you!
Old 07-03-2021, 12:08 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Search Youtube for monthly/annual maintenance videos. Many have a checklist linked in the description. You might have to modify if for your coach but it's a start. If you go to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC3...Id1Yvvl0Bs_VoA or www.todayissomeday.net you should be abe to find their maintenance schedule. Good luck.
I will check them out, thanks!
Old 07-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
My opinion do not use WD40 on jacks it removes all oils and is not a lubricant. To lube jacks put some transmission fluid in spray bottle.
I will do additional research for jack lubricant, thank you!
Old 07-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
You need to read that pile of manuals you should have received and start making your own to-do list because it really does depend.

For example, some slide mechanism manufacturers say to never lube them, some say to use a dry PTFE on the pinion gears only, some slides are hydraulic, and some are cable. If you follow generic advice given here you could cause the damage you're trying to avoid.

Ray
Thanks for your reply Ray! I am a bit of a user guide junky and have read everyone that came with my packet. I like to know what I have and how everything works and is put together. As there are so many things to maintain, I was hoping to hear from folks with an opinion such as “do not forget to do this” or “it is absolutely necessary to keep an eye on this particular MH piece” or “your AC will die in 1 year if filter isn’t cleaned”. Priority maintenance if you will.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
After some further reading it is recommended to clean the jacks with WD40, wipe with a clean cloth, and then use the transmission fluid as you stated (although I have seen many different recommendations, this is definitely one of them). I am going to change my method based upon your input. Thank you.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #12

We've had our RV with two slides for 18 years since new and ironically we have never done our seals with anything spray or lube wise. We heard a mixed bag regarding some say do and some folks say don't. Like you we try to strike a balance between a labour of love and general maintenance as realistically as possible.

Our jacks we use a silicon spray every second or third use (not WD40!). We also spray our steps at start season and when in use monthly. We always annually do a walk across the roof to check seals are good (Eternabond has done us awesome around all furniture up there), as well we check the Air Conditioners including a clean when pertinent and straightening of any fins with the comb. As well annually we do a huge check of everything top to bottom, inside and out including all bays and cupboards decluttered, shower and toilet, sinks checked for any leaks, replacement caulk etc. Note if you are in an area with high fluff from trees or the likes, you might want to check your air conditioners often during that time, as they will clog from from like cottonwoods etc and affect performance. Also if you have a thermometer (infra red?) to check how the air conditioners are performing inside, you should find after a good service of them if they needed it, and check again afterwards it should be a few degrees better = better efficiency post cleaning.

As well annually we check all screws, nuts, bolts etc and tighten as needed and anything not replaced/repaired (we usually do so as it occurs) as we are travelling, we do so then.

Fluids are checked about every month or two, including a peak at the batteries or if the monitor ever causes concern to check further. We do our own oil, transmission and other changes as needed. Generator is serviced with new fuel, oil filter etc about once every 3 to 4 years as we hardly use it due to our mass solar/battery array, so only exercise as suggested monthly.

Our soon to be biggie is to check our wet hubs front and rear and the quality of the fluid in them. If the rears need draining we will take to a professional to do it that has ability to higher from side to side to thoroughly drain and put in fresh. For top ups we do ourselves. Once a year we try to get underneath and check all our U Bolts and others are secure and do a major grease under there.

Our Fresh water tank we sanitize with a bleach mix at the start of every season and our hoses also! We keep an eye on the open and shut gates on the dump tanks, as sometimes they crack over time or they start to stick hard.

Of course when in travel mode as with any vehicle we do all the regular checks such as tires etc before setting off on the next leg.

Everyone finds their own groove and you will yours. We still use checklists for our departure (remembering goods to take!), but that aside now it is second nature/routine on most everything else.

Happy Travels
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:37 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
U-Tube will be come a good friend.
Last time we were at Tiffin in Red Bay we were told NOT to use WD40 on the jacks as that will attract dirt but rather T-9 spay.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:47 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
We've had our RV with two slides for 18 years since new and ironically we have never done our seals with anything spray or lube wise. We heard a mixed bag regarding some say do and some folks say don't. Like you we try to strike a balance between a labour of love and general maintenance as realistically as possible.

Our jacks we use a silicon spray every second or third use (not WD40!). We also spray our steps at start season and when in use monthly. We always annually do a walk across the roof to check seals are good (Eternabond has done us awesome around all furniture up there), as well we check the Air Conditioners including a clean when pertinent and straightening of any fins with the comb. As well annually we do a huge check of everything top to bottom, inside and out including all bays and cupboards decluttered, shower and toilet, sinks checked for any leaks, replacement caulk etc. Note if you are in an area with high fluff from trees or the likes, you might want to check your air conditioners often during that time, as they will clog from from like cottonwoods etc and affect performance. Also if you have a thermometer (infra red?) to check how the air conditioners are performing inside, you should find after a good service of them if they needed it, and check again afterwards it should be a few degrees better = better efficiency post cleaning.

As well annually we check all screws, nuts, bolts etc and tighten as needed and anything not replaced/repaired (we usually do so as it occurs) as we are travelling, we do so then.

Fluids are checked about every month or two, including a peak at the batteries or if the monitor ever causes concern to check further. We do our own oil, transmission and other changes as needed. Generator is serviced with new fuel, oil filter etc about once every 3 to 4 years as we hardly use it due to our mass solar/battery array, so only exercise as suggested monthly.

Our soon to be biggie is to check our wet hubs front and rear and the quality of the fluid in them. If the rears need draining we will take to a professional to do it that has ability to higher from side to side to thoroughly drain and put in fresh. For top ups we do ourselves. Once a year we try to get underneath and check all our U Bolts and others are secure and do a major grease under there.

Our Fresh water tank we sanitize with a bleach mix at the start of every season and our hoses also! We keep an eye on the open and shut gates on the dump tanks, as sometimes they crack over time or they start to stick hard.

Of course when in travel mode as with any vehicle we do all the regular checks such as tires etc before setting off on the next leg.

Everyone finds their own groove and you will yours. We still use checklists for our departure (remembering goods to take!), but that aside now it is second nature/routine on most everything else.

Happy Travels
Thank you for your thorough reply, I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts. Regarding your comment on some not lubricating seals, what was the negative consequence to doing so?

Tags
cat, maintenance, motor, motorhome