Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinv View Post
You have the option to claim it as a second home, as long as you don't already have a second that you claim. It has been several years (2000) since I went through the process, but as I remember it I had to fill out a form at the DMV. For each of my last three coaches I just transferred tags. They seemed to just continue devaluation based on the previous coach (at least on the last two). As long as your RV is fully self contained it qualifies. I'll do a little looking at the DMV website to see if I can find it again.
OK, for Greenville County (where I live) there is a form to be filled out at the tax office. I misspoke on the rate. It is 6% rather than 6 1/2% for residence. I neglected to include first residence (full timers) before. I went back to my previous tax bills for all of my coaches. On my second one my taxes were very high ($2000+) for three years. On the 4th year I traded up, but the taxes dropped by half. I forgot that they freeze the assessed valuation for the first three years after purchase. From that point my taxes have dropped each year. I was very concerned that the new coach would cause a re-evaluation, but they transferred and the new bill was definitely for the new coach.

This is where the form is for Greenville County:
http://www.greenvillecounty.org/Coun...hange_form.pdf

It clearly defines the ability to claim as a second home. What I did not realize is that the 6% rate is what they use for cars and trucks anyway.

You can also appeal valuations by getting a written appraise land submitting it. This is stated on the tax bill itself.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #100

National RV Owners Club
Am I to assume that some of you are still paying on your R.V. lone.
Mine has been paid for years ago and the only things I pay for now is the license tags, insurance, plus all of the repairs and they were plenty.
It helps a lot that I park it adjacent to my house on my property.
From what I remember when we had a loan on the M.H. the only thing I remember being able to deduct was the interest on the loan.
Thats in Calif.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #101
Community Moderator

reading through this thread, it appears the best places to register/"own" an rv would be tx, fl and sd. considering recent aca headache, tx sounds like the best of combinations maybe someday it's my destination .
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #102

Texas is great!

But they do have a lot of hazardous waste dumps. And factories that explode and take out entire towns. So there's that....
Old 01-01-2014, 05:01 AM   #103

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinv View Post

This is where the form is for Greenville County:
http://www.greenvillecounty.org/Coun...hange_form.pdf

It clearly defines the ability to claim as a second home. What I did not realize is that the 6% rate is what they use for cars and trucks anyway.

You can also appeal valuations by getting a written appraise land submitting it. This is stated on the tax bill itself.
Arlin,
This is great information. Thanks, I will be checking into it.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #104

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Taxes is why I moved from Indiana to Texas. Personal property taxes on motorhome was $2000, boat was $500, 2 cars was over $500, plus high sales tax and income tax. They taxed us right out of Indiana. But in Texas, higher sales tax than Indiana, higher homeowners insurance and real estate taxes than Indiana. But total still less than Indiana.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #105

Talking Utah

Utah loves taxes, they love taxing on taxes and love creative ways to tax a little bit more.

As for Utah State, the taxes on a motorhome is as follows:

Taken directly from the State Tax Commission website.

Utah State Tax Commission
2014 Recommended Personal Property Valuation Schedule forClass 14: Motor Homes
Class 14 Property Includes all types of Motor Homes
The following schedule is recommended for valuing Class 14 property for the
2014 assessment year:
Percent Good
Model Year
of Cost New
2014 New 90%
2013 - 1st Year 68%
2012 - 2nd Year 64%
2011 - 3rd Year 60%
2010 - 4th Year 56%
2009 - 5th Year 53%
2008 - 6th Year 49%
2007 - 7th Year 45%
2006 - 8th Year 41%
2005 - 9th Year 37%
2004 - 10th Year 33%
2003 - 11th Year 29%
2002 - 12th Year 25%
2001 - 13th Year 22%
2000 - 14th Year 18%
1999 - 15th Year 14%
1998 - 16th Year 10%
and prior

Taxable value is calculated by multiplying the model year percent good factor by the cost new.

The following methods are used to determine cost new of Class 14 Motor Homes:
a. documenting the actual cost of the the vehicle when purchased new,
b. documenting the manufacturer's suggested retail price from a recognized publication,
c. documenting the actual cost of the vehicle used and dividing that purchase price by the percent goodfactor for the applicable model year.

The Uniform Fee for Class 14 is 1% of taxable value.
The 2014 model year percent good applies to 2014 models purchased in 2013.
Motor Homes have a residual taxable value of $1000

In addition you will pay yearly fees for licensing, safety test, emission test, county tax, municipal tax (city tax accessed by the city). This comes to about $75 per vehicle, this includes my scooter and motorcycle as well as the 4x4, suv and car...all run between $75 and $110 (they hate my motorcycle and charge according)

Each city/county/region is allowed to charge "up to" and most do. The sales tax on 100% non food where I live is 7.10%. This is for new purchases. But the city where I live also likes to charge the "up to" taxes for additional items such as.

Tax rates taken directly from the State Tax Commission website.

4.70% state use tax
1% local use tax
.30% mass transit tax*
.25% additional mass transit tax*
.25% county option transportation tax*
.10% Botanical, Cultural, Zoo Tax
.20% County Option tax
.20 City or Town option tax

* Please note my city has no public transportation because our "mass transportation" people feel we should drive three towns over and get on the train, the trax or find a bus from there, but I have to pay these taxes any how.

We are still looking for our MH, we are total Nobs for RV, unless you count our pop up, vans, boat camping and yes, good old fashioned tent camping. We know we want a good chasis, a well powered motor, a tag axel and dry camp potential...we often end up in places with no services. Depends on who is driving. The "turn here" challenges are left to the discretion of the passenger (pay to drive tax).
Gdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #106

Some of these figures make me glad our MH is registered in Montana. No taxes,, no inspections and cheap tags, especially for older vehicles.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #107

Wow, some of you are really being taken to the cleaners. We have no ppt (sure hope Victoria doesn't get wind of this one) but pay provincial sales tax and general sales tax (federal) at the time of purchase. Until recently, the GST was only on purchases from dealers, they collected and submitted then received a rebate on thei income tax. Private sales were exempt. Unfortunately some bright light decided the provincial government was missing out so imposed an additional 7% tax ostensibly to level the playing field. We also have a smog check here in metro Vancouver but that piece of nonsense is coming to an end this year.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Some of these figures make me glad our MH is registered in Montana. No taxes,, no inspections and cheap tags, especially for older vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Wow, some of you are really being taken to the cleaners. We have no ppt (sure hope Victoria doesn't get wind of this one) but pay provincial sales tax and general sales tax (federal) at the time of purchase. Until recently, the GST was only on purchases from dealers, they collected and submitted then received a rebate on thei income tax. Private sales were exempt. Unfortunately some bright light decided the provincial government was missing out so imposed an additional 7% tax ostensibly to level the playing field. We also have a smog check here in metro Vancouver but that piece of nonsense is coming to an end this year.
Like ALL states, I'm sure Montana is getting their share. They just get it in different ways. One thing about South Carolina that hasn't been mentioned is the vehicle sales tax. It is capped at $300. With the savings compared to a measly 6% on the full sales price I could pay my current PPT for the next 23 years ($325,000 x 6% = $19,500). I'm not saying the total tax package is cheap here, but you do have to look at it all. When I moved here from California my property taxes on our house were half, with a house value of double. There are better, and there are worse. In my opinion they are all more than they should be. But that is another topic entirely. And not RV related.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #109

Have to add this for Utah, the cost of the yearly tag for the plate is in addition to the Property Tax:

Vessels 27 feet or more in length but less than 31 feet Age of VesselModel YearsUniform Statewide
Age-based Fee Less Than 3 Years
2014 - 2012
$700
3 or more years but less than 6 Years
2011 - 2009
$500
6 or more years but less than 9 years
2008 - 2006
$350
9 or more years but less than 12 years
2005 - 2003
$250
12 or more years
2002 & Older
$120
Taken from the Utah DMV website:
Gdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #110

After much research the DW and I picked SD as our state of residence. We were in Washington state but sold our place to RV full time. It just seemed to us that SD catered to the full timers. No property tax or income tax and the ability to renew driver lic. by mail is great. But not having to get the baby CDL is a bonus too. We bought our rig in TX the 23rd of Nov 13'. We registered it the following week in SD. Paid the 3% excise tax and registration fee and that was it. We also use a mail forwarding service in SD and it has worked great. We are sitting out the winter in TX.

For us being retired down sizing meant stuff and taxes.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
I live in Prince William County, VA. Lots of RV's are kept here. $0 PPT on RV's, $25 a year for a county 'license' and I get to write off my RV loan interest. Life is good!
Hi there,
we live in Stafford and havent decided where to park our rv yet...could we put Prince William county on the Va registration for now anyway?
what happens if we decide not to park it there anymore..do the county check actual location of the rvs?
I really dont want to pay anymore taxes!
Thanks
Cattiva73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #112

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattiva73 View Post
Hi there,
we live in Stafford and havent decided where to park our rv yet...could we put Prince William county on the Va registration for now anyway?
what happens if we decide not to park it there anymore..do the county check actual location of the rvs?
I really dont want to pay anymore taxes!
Thanks
Here's the info. You could look into storing it in Prince William. Or at least paying for storage. It may be cheaper than the PP tax.

Personal Property Tax Information

There is a place called Holly Acres near VA234 and Minnieville RD that stores RV's. Very close to Stafford County. I saw their booth at the RV show at the Dulles Expo Center just today.

Tags
motorhome