Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2014, 06:47 AM   #225

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
I have never asked permission to move to or from a state in my life. I do not intend on doing so now. I live where I want and abide by the laws where I live. So to not be required to abide by the laws of NC I will remove myself from their state and thus not be required to abide by their laws. How long would someone have to live some place else to be exempt from the previous states taxes?

Besides who would one ask? Is NC going to say "well yes go ahead move to TX or FL and not pay us taxes even though you don't live here". Really! When they start to collect the taxes on the 130' yachts that are tied up in Beaufort I'll give in. Talk about avoiding taxes. This boat is registered off shore, leaves in December and returns in March or earlier. The owner owns several car dealerships in NC so yes he is a resident of the state. No question to that. This is only one of at least four large yachts that are owed buy car dealers that live here and do the same thing to avoid the PT here. The state has plenty of folks to chase down for real money they don't need to chase me for a couple of hundred dollars.

I'll take my chances. I figure that even if by some chance I'm wrong it will take them 12- 15 years to get it to the Supreme Court. Won't be my problem at that point.

To clarify the moving or relocating is of the vehicle not the owner. I agree with all who say they haven't heard of anyone coming to look for them. As not the case of some boats they may have never entered the state of the owner.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #226

Alabama has an Ad Veloram tax and my tag is $1,300 / year on a 2006 Itasca Horizon. The tag fee is $500 and the rest is various taxes. I'll be able to retire in two years and I plan to go full time when I retire. I work in Alabama and I own a sticks-n-bricks in Alabama. Is there some strategy available for my situation where I can change my residency and avoid the High cost of MH registration.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #227
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
Alabama has an Ad Veloram tax and my tag is $1,300 / year on a 2006 Itasca Horizon. The tag fee is $500 and the rest is various taxes. I'll be able to retire in two years and I plan to go full time when I retire. I work in Alabama and I own a sticks-n-bricks in Alabama. Is there some strategy available for my situation where I can change my residency and avoid the High cost of MH registration.
If you go full time when you retire, there's nothing stopping you from establishing residency in some other state and still owning property in Alabama. But, you need to ensure that you comply with Alabama's laws on residency. When I left California, they hounded me for a while and I finally proved to them via Quicken financial travel records that I had only spent 14 days in their fine state over the previous two years.

IMHO, the bottom line is... have you really "left" Alabama and become a full timer domiciled in another state? Do the right thing right and I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
IMHO, the bottom line is... have you really "left" Alabama and become a full timer domiciled in another state? Do the right thing right and I don't think you'll have any trouble.
This is really the answer to all of the domicile questions. If you have really left your prior state and have actually moved your home to another state then you shouldn't have any problems. OTOH if the 'move' is primarily to evade taxes then... it gets complicated. I think most pondering a domicile change already know which of the two it really is before the question is even asked.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:41 AM   #229

Another option you may want to consider is storing the MH in a jurisdiction even within the state of Al, usually they set their own tax rate per county, city etc. It is not illegal to store where ever you choose, where you physically keep the MH is up to you.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortisi876 View Post
Any Tennesseans in here? What that State's story, do they also have a PPT there?

I'm considering retiring down that way and quite frankly, I'm new to this PPT thing, NJ doesn't have that....PLEASE don't tell them either, we're getting raped enough here as is.
No ppt. No state income tax. Yearly Registration fees are under $100. I retired and moved here in '07 and love it here. My wife owns a small rural real estate company here and a large majority of her clients are streaming in from guess where??...yep the Northeast.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #231

I live in my MH 4 days a week about 70 miles from my home so it stays in a differnt county than where I live. I will check to see if the registration would be less in Montgomery county. BTW - I plan to move to the gulf coast when I retire. I'd just like to set up domicile in FL sooner than later to avoid unnecessary spending.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #232

Winnebago Owners Club
I almost passed out when we got our personal property tax bill for 2014, the first year after buying our fleetwood. It was over 2500 dollars more than the year before. We live in Missouri, they calculate the tax rate based 1/3 of NADA value, which is a lot less than what I paid for ours. Someone from RV dealership told me, that some people register their RV in another by creating an LLC. They set up an LLC in a state with no property tax and limited restrictions to create an LLC (like residency not required, with minimal or no annual filling fees, etc). I am researching this option, appreciate your inputs...
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #233
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
Someone from RV dealership told me, that some people register their RV in another by creating an LLC. They set up an LLC in a state with no property tax and limited restrictions to create an LLC (like residency not required, with minimal or no annual filling fees, etc). I am researching this option, appreciate your inputs...
There are probably a number of references in this thread to Montana LLC or you can use our search feature to read what others have done and learned.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by excurion04 View Post
I almost passed out when we got our personal property tax bill for 2014, the first year after buying our fleetwood. It was over 2500 dollars more than the year before. We live in Missouri, they calculate the tax rate based 1/3 of NADA value, which is a lot less than what I paid for ours. Someone from RV dealership told me, that some people register their RV in another by creating an LLC. They set up an LLC in a state with no property tax and limited restrictions to create an LLC (like residency not required, with minimal or no annual filling fees, etc). I am researching this option, appreciate your inputs...
I lived in Mo. For a good portion of my life. Moved to Tn. In 1986 to work for Fedex. Retired in 2003 and moved back to Mo. couldn't stand the taxes so moved back to Tn. In 2010. Now full time, but still have Tn as residence. No personal property tax, no state income tax other than int.& dividends, but they are phasing that out. Registration and license less that $100. Disabled vet $0.
Still visit Mo. Sister lives on Scotti road in Wentzville and niece in O'Fallon.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #235

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Motorhome Personal Property Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
I lived in Mo. For a good portion of my life. Moved to Tn. In 1986 to work for Fedex. Retired in 2003 and moved back to Mo. couldn't stand the taxes so moved back to Tn. In 2010. Now full time, but still have Tn as residence. No personal property tax, no state income tax other than int.& dividends, but they are phasing that out. Registration and license less that $100. Disabled vet $0.

Still visit Mo. Sister lives on Scotti road in Wentzville and niece in O'Fallon.

Loisjop I too live in Mo. and actually near the Family Arena in St. Charles City right down the hwy. from your relatives. I have great concern about the taxes I will be paying on my MH the day I purchase it. More research is needed for me on the LLC option. You remember that declaration form we all fill out? The wording and my signature on that form is little worrisome for me. Waiting for more Missourians to leave their input.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
No ppt. No state income tax. Yearly Registration fees are under $100. I retired and moved here in '07 and love it here. My wife owns a small rural real estate company here and a large majority of her clients are streaming in from guess where??...yep the Northeast.
Thank you very much for the reply.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #237

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by loisjop View Post
Wow small world, we also live in Wentzville, lived here for past 10 years. We are planning to move now that am retired. We have been debating the option of moving to a state with lower taxes. It is a tough decision leaving our kids and grand kids. We are considering Nashville as an option still not to far from St. Louis.
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:05 AM   #238

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Loisjop I too live in Mo. and actually near the Family Arena in St. Charles City right down the hwy. from your relatives. I have great concern about the taxes I will be paying on my MH the day I purchase it. More research is needed for me on the LLC option. You remember that declaration form we all fill out? The wording and my signature on that form is little worrisome for me. Waiting for more Missourians to leave their input.
Have you explored IL since you are so close to the State Line? As I recall MO is where it is on January 1, if you stored it in IL may be cheaper but I don't know anything about IL.

One of the keys with the LLC is making sure you don't do to much in your home state in my opinion. Try not to store it in MO (or Home State), no fuel or minimum, service work, etc. Then your Home State can't lay claim to your unit IF it isn't in MO on January 1. I am not an attorney or tax expert, but I would look into what the laws are in MO and make sure you can comply.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome