Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #1

Motorhome Registration Tennessee

Hi all! I'm looking for information about registering my 2018 Fleetwood Pace Arrow in the state of Tennessee. The state/county websites are short on information ... or so it seems. The best I've been able to determine is Tennessee charges sales tax if bought within the state and registration cost is fairly minimal at about $100. I have not been able to determine the costs of moving to Tennessee as a new resident, other than the registration and title transfer fees.

Also, not sure what their criteria is for declaring residency ... do you have to own or rent a property, or how many months you have to reside in the state. We currently live in Florida but will soon sell our house. Healthcare and auto/RV insurance is high in Florida, but much less in Tennessee. Our son lives in TN and, worse case, may be able to use his address for residency ... if allowed.

So much to figure out. Hoping someone with knowledge of TN can help explain their requirements. TIA.
cnav52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #2

Motorhome reg. is $29 a year in Tn, same as a car.
littlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 04:59 PM   #3

I moved back to TN from GA a couple years ago.
This is what you need to prove residency for your driver's license..

https://www.tn.gov/safety/driver-services/dlproof.html

Once you get your driver's license, you can register your vehicles.

You can title your vehicles in TN for a minimal cost if they are currently titled in another state - do not have to pay additional sales tax.

The feds require emissions testing in some TN counties. Other than than it will cost around $29 to register your RV.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There is a state portion of the registration fee and each county is different for their portion of registration. I just paid mine and it cost ~90 for the total cost. It is the same for any other vehicle. Paid 3 of 4 so far.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #5

Thanks, guys. This is good information. I find it strange it is so cheap in Tennessee and cannot help but wonder there is a downside. We are currently good in Florida until next summer and will be deciding if TN is our best option next spring.

Thanks for your input.
cnav52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnav52 View Post
Thanks, guys. This is good information. I find it strange it is so cheap in Tennessee and cannot help but wonder there is a downside. We are currently good in Florida until next summer and will be deciding if TN is our best option next spring.

Thanks for your input.
Unless something has changed, TN applies their quite high sales tax to groceries which Fla and a lot of other states do not. Of course, if just using TN as a base and not actually living there, this would not apply.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:49 AM   #7

There is sales tax on everything except for some services. It is 9 to 10 percent depending on the county.

There is no income tax - on wages or investments. Property taxes are generally low.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome