Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #1

Motorhome rental help

* Hi, my wife and I are new to RVing and we have been thinking about purchasing a class A motorhome in 2013 and traveling cross country for an extended period of time. we will both be retired by then and are considering making RV Travel our lifestyle. Before we take the plunge and purchase one, would like to rent one for 2 weeks in the summer of 2012. we are looking for unit 32 to 40 feet long which sleeps 4. We were wondering what recommendations people would have for where to find a rental unit. There are national rental chains on there are also individuals who will rent out their RVs or places we could check classifieds?

Thanks for your help,

Michael and Christine
Mikalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #2

There are several "Chains", also check with one of your local RV dealerships, most also rent. The average rental unit will be a class C in the 23' to 30' range. While I have seen class A's rented in the past they are not the norm.

Here are some links:

Cruise America

El Monte RV

Get RV.com

Private Motorhome Renal

Allstar Luxury Coaches

This should get you started. Make sure to visit some RV shows in your area also.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #3

Thanks for the excellent suggestions and for getting back to me so quickly, I thought I was the only person up at this hour!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be sure to take the unit you decide on for an extended drive before you put any money into the renters hands. Also make sure of who is liable for what if there is a major breakdown. Read the fine print.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mikalle,
Not knowing where you want to start and finish the trip, consider a large RV dealer who carries several brands. I mention this because if your purpose is to work toward a purchase, beginning a relationship with a coach dealer may be something you want to do. Knowing this, they may rent you a "better" coach than one might receive at a rental company. A suggestion for you to look at is North Trail RV in Ft. Myers, Florida. Go to RV dealers Florida - motorhomes - Newmar, Tiffin, Fleetwood, Winnebago, Itasca, Keystone RV, Jayco, Pleasure Way to read about and contact them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #6

Mike, I see you live in Fords, NJ. There is a RV show in Allentown, PA this weekend (13-15) and one in Edison, NJ next weekend (20-22).

You might want to head out to the shows and take a look around. For the best show you will have to wait until fall, the Hershey RV show tops them all.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #7

thanks for the heads up regarding the RV shows in the area. I'm not able to get out this weekend, had surgery on my knee Thursday. My wife and I are planning to go to the RV show next weekend in Edison, it's 10 min. from our house. The Hershey Pennsylvania RV show is something we will definitely put on our list of things to do.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Mikalle,
Not knowing where you want to start and finish the trip, consider a large RV dealer who carries several brands. I mention this because if your purpose is to work toward a purchase, beginning a relationship with a coach dealer may be something you want to do. Knowing this, they may rent you a "better" coach than one might receive at a rental company. A suggestion for you to look at is North Trail RV in Ft. Myers, Florida. Go to RV dealers Florida - motorhomes - Newmar, Tiffin, Fleetwood, Winnebago, Itasca, Keystone RV, Jayco, Pleasure Way to read about and contact them.
I couldn't agree less... Or More... Gary's just caused me to scratch my head against a brick wall... There is a pretty reputable rental company that is locally owned here in Colorado, and its more of a time share type situation, but its the only outfit i've seen with Longer Diesel MHs, they even have FWs and TTs... Anyway, I always tell pepole who want to jump into the RVing lifestyle to try it out first... Some come back and LOVE it Others come back wondering what is wrong with ME for loving it so much... Its an aquired taste... Now, as for my conundrom with Gary... RV dealers are like Boat Dealers or Car Dealers or ATV Dealers or Mattress Salesmen or _________(insert any salesmen here)... Once you find a GOOD one, someone you can trust, someone who doesn't make you want to drive over them, you have an awesome expierence... HOwever, getting to that person can be frustrating...
Telling an RV dealer you're in the market and you'd like to "try one out" can do 1 of 2 things, either the dealer will say "Good idea, i wouldn't want to help you make a purchase this large without knowing if you're going to love it or not."
OR
"WHY TRY??? JUST BUY!!!! AND THE MORE YOU SPEND THE BETTER YOU"LL LOVE IT!!!!!!"
I've yet to find a dealer I'd talk to twice, and i guess thats why i've never bought new, just used and always from a private party...
Anyway, i've gone all over the map with this response... but buttom line is this, you're smart for wanting to try it first, spend $3k and save yourself from either making a $300k bad decision or a re-affirming one...
Good luck!!!
TheBeachHous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #9

* WOW, that is some pretty strong advice! I know exactly what you mean regarding salesman and motor vehicle dealerships in particular, which RV dealers are. Being careful and watching your money is something I've always done and I appreciate the word of caution. Our plan is to purchase a used RV, not go over $80,000, and try the RVing experience this coming summer for 2 weeks.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
There are several "Chains", also check with one of your local RV dealerships, most also rent. The average rental unit will be a class C in the 23' to 30' range. While I have seen class A's rented in the past they are not the norm.

Here are some links:

Cruise America

El Monte RV

Get RV.com

Private Motorhome Renal

Allstar Luxury Coaches

This should get you started. Make sure to visit some RV shows in your area also.
El Monte RV rents class A's
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikalle View Post
* WOW, that is some pretty strong advice! I know exactly what you mean regarding salesman and motor vehicle dealerships in particular, which RV dealers are. Being careful and watching your money is something I've always done and I appreciate the word of caution. Our plan is to purchase a used RV, not go over $80,000, and try the RVing experience this coming summer for 2 weeks.

Cheers,

Mike
Good to see that you want to buy used. Wish I had. I love our new one but spent way to much for the time we use it.

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Go with a big chain. Twice our dealership had rentals come in with bad engines. The big chain had another motorhome by the next day and the family was on its way. The guy who rented from a individual was stuck for three weeks waiting for a new engine install.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #13

Friends of ours just rented an RV from our local RV Dealer. They had a fabulous experience. One thing they discovered was that most RV rentals are old, dirty, and poor quality. Fretz RV has brand new 2012 Winnebago Class C motorhomes to rent; the best there is. I've had relatives that have rented from large rental chains and had breakdowns, equipment not working, and found some pretty nasty items under the dinette. I would shop around and try and find a dealer that is renting new(er) HIGH quality RV's instead of the normal junk that is being rented by the masses. It's worth spending a little more to have a nicer vehicle and less chance of mechanical failure.
mikencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before you leave the rental lot, DOUBLE CHECK everything. any dings in body work? Take a picture, scatch in bumber, take a picture. write down any problem on contract or you'll end up paying for damages or excessive wear and abuse. does unit have power cord, sewer hose, water hose? does everythng work? once you leave the lot you become responsible for returning it like NEW condition. Good Luck...ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome