Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

Motorhome storage while on the road ?

I've been thinking about the best way to see the country if you only want to spend 2-3 months max on the road at a time. Has anyone had experience with temporarily storing the MH and Toad … fly back to your home … recover for a few months … fly back to your MH and continue your journey ?
blues_sunris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're FT and store ~ 3 months/year to take other trips. We generally use storage lots that are included within a campground or RV resort - that means there's an on-site presence of CG staff and guests and a secure fenced area. Our toad may be stored with the coach, placed in airport/cruise terminal long-term parking, left with family/friends, etc.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #3

Have done exactly that.....When we had the Class A Newmar took it to Alaska......Took 6 weeks up and another week for the Homer area......Up to Fairbanks and stored it in the overflow area of the CG we were using..... Flew home for 6 weeks .....flew back to Fairbanks and continued the trip south to San Diego area.......

For us, these long trips work better to split them up like this......We are planning AK again this summer, this time in the camper under my sig.....Up to Bellingham, ferry to Skagway, Top of the World Hwy to Fairbanks, Denali etc for a week...Store the camper in the overflow, fly home for 6 weeks then back to resume the trip south via Glacier in MT.......
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #4

We will be doing exactly the same thing. Enjoy some of this great country, take a break, then back at it. The key is to store it at a secure location.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:25 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I have done this a lot. In fact, my motorhome has never spent the winter in the North. I leave it in Palm Springs in November, fly in and use it a few times, then fly home.

I left it in Vegas once. Never again - it was broken into, even in a high security storage facility. The crime there is out of control.

We only bring it home to Washington State in the summer for use here when the weather warms up.

It has never been winterized. I do have an extensive "Storage Checklist" when it gets left in the South.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:21 AM   #6

We're going on a cruise to Alaska in the middle of our RV trip this year. We've not done it before, but I'm planning to leave ours in the Seattle area for 12 days during the cruise.

The airport won't take it, but I haven't investigated further. I'm thinking my next call may be to gated storage lots in the area?
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Motorhome storage while on the road ?

While not several months , We have taken several week to month long trips away from the MH in the past 3+ years . Instead of storage with no power, we just leave it in the campground hooked up (water off).
We plan a stop near a large airport. Spend a week to few days , just notify the manager of our plans and take off. While it’s more expensive , it’s more secure in the RV park in my mind at least. The coach has a cell hotspot and I have a couple cameras on with motion detection 24-7 that notify me or I can look in whenever I want.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:33 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We do exactly that. Until we sell our home in the Dominican Republic and can truly go full time we spend 3-4 months at a time in our MH and then store it for a couple of months while we return to the Dominican Republic.

So far we have stored it in Orlando, Charlotte, Phoenix, and planning on Nashville in April. We do store it only indoors, so a bit $$$, but out of the elements and someone around all the time to watch it. So far NO problems.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #9

Lots of RV parks in the warm weather states offer on site storage lots, typically at a small fraction of the RV site rate. One park where I have stayed charges $50 per day, $600 per month for RV sites, but only $100 per month for RV storage without power. This is typically in the back corner of an RV park out of the way, but I know of one fairly large RV park in Texas where the storage area is on one side of the park by the main drive near their office.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:02 AM   #10

thanks for all who replied … The best storage would be enclosed with electric power available.. Locally the indoor storage sites want a minimum of 6 months lease … I like the idea of leaving the coach in an enclosed lot within the camp ground ..pickup the trip where you left off... the problem would be no electric. Is there a good solar battery minder that could handle all the house batteries and coach batteries … preferably a battery minder that is wired into the coaches electric / solar system.
blues_sunris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #11

We've left ours sitting on a CG site before. That way we kept the electric connected. Even talked to CG owner and got a special rate for the time we weren't occupying the unit.

I've seen CGs with monthly rates as low as $400/mo. Of course on site storage won't be covered.

Tags
motorhome, storage