Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2021, 04:30 PM   #1

Motorhome Theft Deterrence/Security System

My motorhome was recently burglarized. The robbers came in through the driver's side sliding window and then opened the main cabin. They stole two flat screen TV's, blu-ray stereo, RV radio stereo and the backup monitor.

I am trying to brainstorm possible future theft deterrence and am looking for suggestions. Right now, I am moving forward with an exterior, solar, motion sensitive LED flood light on the drivers side and an exterior, solar, motion sensing alarm. (The alarm, in my opinion, is not very loud though.) Suggestions would be appreciated in addition to these?

Has anyone installed an automotive type of alarm system on their RV?

A couple of other details are that there is no 120VAC power and no internet available in the storage area. My RV does have 200W of solar panels on the roof which charge the house batteries.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Mark
marksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just use a battery-powered door alarm, $12.95 from Wal-Mart. It makes a horrible noise when activated, and I'm counting on that scaring off any potential burglars!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Install a inside motion sensor and hook it up to the loudest alarm you can find that runs on 12 volts.

Put a switch somewhere out of sight in a secret spot to turn it off that only you and the people at the storage facility know about.

That way the alarm will go off if anyone gets inside, and only you or the storage people will be able to shut it off.

It may drain your batteries if it goes off, and nobody around can shut it off, but that would be much cheaper than being robbed.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:58 PM   #4

Hi Unplanned, Do you have any specifics on that recommendation? If you did this I'd love to know what you did, what you used and where you got it?

marksanders, not meaning to steal your post and/or get things going the wrong direction. Have you guys done something about answering the door? Where you can talk to someone at the door from your phone, see them and maybe even have a light go on if it's dark.

I think all of this blends together because you don't have to have your coach in storage for someone trying to break in.

I recently heard a story about a guy at a big box store who finished shopping and putting things away when he heard a knock on the door. He opened it and it didn't end well. He said if he would have seen him/them he'd never have answered the door.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
To ensure the motorhome can't be driven away after a break-in, here's something ...

On Winnebago's anyway, I was able to put a single pole single pole (SPST) switch in series with the 5 amp Chassis Disconnect Contactor Circuit Power fuse. I mounted this switch in a spare circuit breaker location and labeled it Chassis Disconnect Interlock. Normal is Closed, Interlocked is Open.

This 5 amp fuse is a standard size blade type in a single fuse holder and is located behind the circuit breakers in the Chassis Electrical Box, and the wires on each side of it are labeled UUG and SJ.

I can operate the chassis battery disconnect switch by the entry door to kill chassis power, preventing the coach from being started and/or driven, then I can open the Chassis Electrical Box and toggle the interlock switch to the open positon. The chassis can't be powered on until this interlock switch is put back into the closed position. I used one of the spare circuit breaker spaces in the Chassis Electrical Box for this new interlock switch.

Someone trying to start the coach either by ignition switch hot-wire or with keys will see a dead ignition and not have any idea why.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is what I installed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:54 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you rig is parked in a storage lot there isn't much if anything you can do but keep you insurance active and you deductible low. In door storage helps but still isn't 100% safe. Same for a remote seasonal camp site or a CG that doesn't restrict access.

Remote storage, or at home in the driveway, noise makers, motion lights and cameras might help by alerting you or your neighbors but if someone want's your stuff bad enough there's nothing that will stop them. And keep in mind some law enforcement departments will no longer respond to a property crime report, active or are otherwise.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #8

Solar motion lights would at least light up area and may deter most intruders.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #9

I think that’s right Outbound, light is always the best disinfectant. I don’t know of anyone who wants to perform bad deeds with a spotlight on them.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
You could install a motion detector like this- https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/1...a67d8f3037601c

And a alarm horn like this- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...094e45c2e90e7a

And a switch to shut it off and turn it on some place outside, so you can arm it and leave it.

Anyone that goes inside will trip the alarm, and it will alert anyone in the area that something is wrong. Most theives will get out fast if a 105 db alarm is going off.

It's all 12 volt, and so it can be wired direct to your batteries that are being kept charged by your solar panels.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #11

Something like this might be an option. Not sure what the monthly service plan would cost though.

Amazon dot com/Reolink 3g/4gLTE Security Camera

Looks to have several options for powering. Also can be set to send an instant alert to your phone. Not sure if it can somehow be used to activate an onsite alarm siren. Might have to get something else for that.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:02 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WYZE cameras. https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #13
NXR

I bought some of these and stuck them by the entry door and a few other places, including the rear hitch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A lot depends on whether you have continuous power, of course. I use Blink XT2 cameras which do have motion detection, night vision, and a temperature alarm. They work through a hotspot for Internet connectivity. The cameras and hotspot have batteries that will run them if the power is cut.

Ray
Old 01-09-2021, 04:36 PM   #14

pull the fuel pump relay and take it with you would prevent a drive away
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome