Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Motorhome title question

I live in Ohio and purchased a new 2011 motorhome from Mesa Az. Camping World last June.It was a long process getting ohio registration. It was issued last Sept. I have to renew the plates next month and noticed it is titled a motorhome but as a Ford not a Damon Daybreak. Is this normal?
Thanks
Ed
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #2

It's on a Ford chassis. That's normal.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
Got to Bank of America who holds the loan, and they jumped on the issue. Arizona title had it correct. Ohio is changing the title to be a 2011 Damon Daydreak. They are doing this using overnight mail service. I'm amazed at B of A customer service.

Ed
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I went round and round with the state of Colorado on my Pace Arrow regarding insurance, as somehow they had it reg as a "Pace Arrow" when the insurance had it as a Chevy.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually, I discovered that there are 2 different titles - one for the Ford chassis and one for the motor home ( in our case a Damon Challenger). We purchased ours new from Camping World in Indiana and experienced a real nightmare getting the title from the company (Camping World). It seems that both were "misplaced" by the company, and once the MH was delivered, I questioned where the title was. We looked for it for over an hour, called CW, and a representative stated that it was in a kitchen drawer - no go! We were getting ready to go to FL for a few weeks and knew that the temporary tags would expire before we returned. CW put me off to no end, telling me the title/s were in the mail, etc. We eventually received the titles after about two months of constant calling. It seems that the hold-up was from Ford who had to issue a duplicate chassis title. I was not a "happy camper", to say the least. I did get 3 temporary tags though, but learned a valuable lesson - make certain the title is present when the deal is made.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
When you buy a NEW motorhome in a state other than the one you want to title it in you should not receive a title until you title in your state.

What you should receive is 2 Certificates of Origin. One for the chassis and one for the body. The seller will give you an intransit permit to drive the motorhome to your state. You'll then turn the 2 Certificates of Origin in to your state along with any sales tax and your state will issue a title, in your name, for your motorhome.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Bought RV in Florida from private owner. Took Florida title to home state Illinois. took title to Sec of State and got Il. Title and plates No problems
Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With all the MH's we've purchased we have never seen two Certificates of Origin. The DMV has only gotten one for the completed vehicle since the vehicle is to be titled as an RV, not an incomplete chassis.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Agree - there should only be one Manufacturers Certificate of Origin issued at the first retail sale. There is one that gets transferred from the [incomplete] chassis builder to the finished body builder, but the coach manufacturer issues a new MCO and you should never see, let alone receive, the chassis MCO. Legally there can be only one MCO, and the title data (year, model name, etc) must comply with the data on that final MCO.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Both a cert for the chassis and a cert for the body are required the FIRST TIME A TITLE is issued. If the dealer buys the MH for his inventory he may send both certs in and title the coach in his name. Then when it is sold he transfers this title to the new owner.

Note: Cash purchase, not financed.

2 certs would only apply if you ordered a new MH, as I did, and took the MH to another state to be titled. I picked it up the day after it arrived at the dealer. They gave me 2 certs. SEE BELOW. Note: the VIN is the same on both certs because Winnebago uses the chassis VIN for their body VIN.

I've removed the scanned copies of my 2 certs as I still own this vehicle.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I drove the coach back to PA and left for FL 3 days later. I did not title the coach because I had heard that in FL if the MH is 6 months old or order you can title it there without paying sales tax because they classify a MH older than 6 months as used. After 6 months I called the FL DMV and asked about titling the MH in FL. I told them it was more than 6 months old. They said just bring the title in and they would title it in FL and I would not have to pay FL sales tax. I told them I did not have a title. They asked me if the MH had ever been titled and I stated no. They then told me if it had never been titled I would have to pay FL sales tax on the MH since sales tax was never paid on it. I ended up titling the MH in PA and paid PA 6% sales tax.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
Both a cert for the chassis and a cert for the body are required the FIRST TIME A TITLE is issued. If the dealer buys the MH for his inventory he may send both certs in and title the coach in his name. Then when it is sold he transfers this title to the new owner.

2 certs would only apply if you ordered a new MH, as I did, and took the MH to another state to be titled. I picked it up the day after it arrived at the dealer. They gave me 2 certs. SEE BELOW. Note: the VIN is the same on both certs becasue Winnebago uses the chassis VIN for their body VIN.
Must be a Winnie and Workhorse thing then as NONE of the motorized RV's we've ordered, bought new and titled by us has ever had anything but one MCO. We've never bought a Winnie nor Workhorse either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
My next door neighbor here in PA actually bought a NEW 2005 Horizon the same day I bought my Suncruiser. Both were factory orders. We sort of negotiated together with the sales manager. He also received 2 certs and drove his Horizon back to PA and titled it there.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Must be a Winnie and Workhorse thing then as NONE of the motorized RV's we've ordered, bought new and titled by us has ever had anything but one MCO. We've never bought a Winnie nor Workhorse either.
Not in my state of PA. I ordered the MH from a NY dealer.

If you finance the finance company may receive the certs and/or have the dealer title the MH and send the title to them. You'd then get a title with a lean on it.

I never finance a vehicle so I'm not familiar with that route.

Tags
motorhome