Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #85

MH versus motel

We have owned a MH for several years, expense is one thing to consider. Presently living in it near MD Anderson fighting cancer. The cost including elec. is a about 24 dollars a night, try finding a room around this area for that, I believe is impossible.The resort has a hot tube ,heated swimming pool, large game room with exercise equip.4 acre pond, catch and release. Gas fire pit and outdoor kitchen. And I know who slept in our bed last night. (Lakeview RV Resort) gated community. My 2 cents .
rfonte649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #86

Good deals in used RVs come up frequently if you're are patient. Do a complete inspection and it should be ok. My possibilities were limited because for the following reasons:
Wife would only accept "new"
be a bunkhouse model
be able to tow a Tahoe or suburban (~6500#)
have auto leveling jacks
Have decent fresh, grey and black water capacity
Have good fuel range
Useible while under way
In motion satellite
Large inverter
This severely limited our choices however even I was able to fine a unit within our needs and budget.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #87

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
Good deals in used RVs come up frequently if you're are patient. Do a complete inspection and it should be ok. My possibilities were limited because for the following reasons:
Wife would only accept "new"
be a bunkhouse model
be able to tow a Tahoe or suburban (~6500#)
have auto leveling jacks
Have decent fresh, grey and black water capacity
Have good fuel range
Useible while under way
In motion satellite
Large inverter
This severely limited our choices however even I was able to fine a unit within our needs and budget.
Just out of curiosity why did you need an in motion satellite. I had one and luckily had problems with it under the warranty. I never used it as an in motion other than once to see if it actually would do that. When they went to replace it I paid the difference and upgraded to a winegard traveler. There is no comparison the traveler is so much better an option but you cannot use it in motion.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #88

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Motorhome vs. Motels

My 2 cents. We had an in motion for three years with no problems at all. Our main reason was I didn't have to set up a tripod with a dish to watch tv for a one night stay over. If we appeared to have a weather issue in the direction we were headed it was easy to just turn on the tv and catch the weather channel or it gave my wife something to watch while we drove across a boring area. Most important is when we took grandkids and they are restless you turn cartoons and it makes a long drive much more enjoyable. ;-) I miss it since I traded that MH off.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 11-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #89

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have to watch costs that close you don't need to buy one because they are expensive. Everything is 2x+ the price and they cost a lot to drive. I am on a steady income and if I don't have enough money to fix it this month I will wait till next but that hasn't happened yet. I can't wait to leave for the next trip and my new parts to come in so I can make it better what ever it is. Good exercise and keeps me busy . I can count on one hand the no. of motel/hotels I have stayed in.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #90

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One point that hasn't been discussed is the benefit or option of joining a club that holds rallies. We have belonged to three RV clubs in our 20+ years of motorhoming and have met and made some lasting friendships and have had some wonderful traveling experiences because of our memberships. FMCA & GoodSam have local chapters nationwide. Some clubs are brand specific, some are interest specific. Usually you can option to "Try before you join".

FMCA Local Chapter Secretary - Bay Area TravelerS (BATS)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #91

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've been in the Hotel business almost 30 years, and we own a Motorhome.... Guess where we stay when we travel??? (HINT: It doesn't have an elevator!)
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #92

A couple of hotel vs mh comparisons I looked at online conveniently left out depreciation and interest. That may have had something to do with the age of the motorhome considered and the quality of the lodgings stayed in. But, I don't see the value of the comparisons anyway.

The problem is buying a motorhome and not getting it off the driveway for whatever reason, even worse if you bought new and are otherwise busy, financial strapped, or in poor health. And that is not uncommon as I understand it.

If you have a two week vacation and want to go to Italy or Cozumel, an rv is probably irrelevant. If you want to spend 3 months in Alaska, an rv is probably an ideal way to do it and should be of pretty good quality and longer length...at least that is my plan next spring if I pull a straight flush.

If you are a single guy, a backpack will do or a motorcycle. If you just go a couple of hours from home, a tent might do or small trailer. My parents lived happily for six weeks at a time 3 hours drive away and move around the local vicinity campgrounds while my father fished, and he had 1/2 truck and small camper - mom says you don't live in, just cook and sleep in it, and they always used the public restrooms in the campground.

Some older couples have traded down from 45 feet to a 24 feet B+ for mobility.

This is a custom adventure that needs to be appropriate for our situation and goals, and we need to be technically up to date, and recognize the difference between experience and expertise when asking for advice.

The above (my post only) doesn't qualify as expertise.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Just out of curiosity why did you need an in motion satellite. I had one and luckily had problems with it under the warranty. I never used it as an in motion other than once to see if it actually would do that. When they went to replace it I paid the difference and upgraded to a winegard traveler. There is no comparison the traveler is so much better an option but you cannot use it in motion.
We have 3 very noisey reasons. We have 3 kids, 2 18 month old twins and a 9 year old.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome