Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 05:41 AM   #1

Motorhome with Windows

Hi All,

I love to be outside; that’s why I go camping.

The next best thing to being outside is being inside with all the windows open and a nice breeze flowing through.

What happened to the windows on motorhomes? I had a ‘94 class C with fairly large windows. Migrated to a ‘00 Class A which had smaller windows. I sold my house and am looking to purchase a DP for retirement, but I can’t seem to find anything with decent sized windows that open wide. Some windows don’t open at all. Many just tilt out at the bottom. All the windows seem to be smaller than what I have now.

Are there any 2-5 year old DP’s available that have nice, large windows? I like the outdoors, and I want to bring it inside.

Thanks,
BradyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #2

Our 2013 Dutch Star has the large old type framed windows that slide open.I believe in 2014 they went to the frameless windows where just the bottom swings open a bit.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I agree, we miss the big and numerous windows that our old 1994 Airstream had.
It's like people don't want to see outside, let alone go there as far as the manufacturer is concerned. Maybe it's to cut costs?
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #4

I agree with a RV having more windows. I would like a RV made of solid glass sides and roof using "Smart Glass" with sections that could be made opaque by the flick of a switch. You could pick your views and at night black the RV out completely or watch the stars.
Switchable Privacy Glass | Privacy Smart Glass
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #5

Larger Windows / whole side windows, would be great however if you camp the marginal seasons the insulation value would be nil both in the summer for AC and winter for heat. I guess it's one of those catch 22 things. But the smart windows would really be neat for the existing window configurations. The next closest thing to your request would be a converted school bus with full windows down each side.
Blawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blawless View Post
Larger Windows / whole side windows, would be great however if you camp the marginal seasons the insulation value would be nil both in the summer for AC and winter for heat. I guess it's one of those catch 22 things. But the smart windows would really be neat for the existing window configurations. The next closest thing to your request would be a converted school bus with full windows down each side.

True, there are trade offs, you could use double pane glass and choose the opaque color. Silver outside color to reflect sunlight in the summer and black to absorb winter solar heat. Glass weight would be a issue with current technology.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyB View Post
Hi All,

I love to be outside; that’s why I go camping.

The next best thing to being outside is being inside with all the windows open and a nice breeze flowing through.

What happened to the windows on motorhomes? I had a ‘94 class C with fairly large windows. Migrated to a ‘00 Class A which had smaller windows. I sold my house and am looking to purchase a DP for retirement, but I can’t seem to find anything with decent sized windows that open wide. Some windows don’t open at all. Many just tilt out at the bottom. All the windows seem to be smaller than what I have now.

Are there any 2-5 year old DP’s available that have nice, large windows? I like the outdoors, and I want to bring it inside.

Thanks,
Brady,
As you've noticed, things change. And that includes all makes and models of RVs. Designs change due to surveys, engineer's thoughts and experiences, what's popular and more. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP, has a pretty fair amount of windows. And, they all open to at least half the total square footage of each. Each situation with the elements is different. Sometimes it's nice to have as much flow through ventilation as possible and sometimes, just cracking one window, for some slight fresh air is all that's needed.

But, this is all up to each individual user and outlook. I don't know what makes or models you've been looking at but, keep an open mind to all years and designs. You can find ultra low mileage diesels with plenty of windows and good floor plans in older years which, cuts waaaaay down on the price too which, allows for more spending on CAMPSITES!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:37 PM   #9

Hi All,

I don't mind getting an older coach, but some campgrounds want you to have something 10 years or newer for longer term.

I also need a coach with a door by the kitchen, not the front seat. I cook 95% of my meals outside on the grill.

I can't imagine doctoring up a slab of ribs, and then having to carry them clear to the front of the coach to get outside to the grill. I'll inevitably drop them in the passenger seat.

The outdoor passenger side of my coach is like a deck on a house. Decks normally have a door next to the kitchen, not the living room.

I'm kind of looking at at Sportsman Sportcoach, but the windows are tiny. Not many DP's have a door by the kitchen.

Maybe I just hit a bad spot in RV design trends. Maybe I'll just keep what I have (2000 Georgie Boy) until RV designers figure out folks like windows. They seemed to have figured it out for houses.

Thanks for your input.
BradyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #10

Mid-door entry, plenty of windows, another large window over the sofa, opposite the door. 2005 36’ Alpine Coach. NFS. Quick connect gas fitting installed in basement.

The 40’ model also has a mid-door option. Similar models from 2004-2008 are currently priced from $60K-100K. If the park doesn’t want me, they don’t get my money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8D23D6C-6C22-4E2D-9EF9-5BA5621D07E1.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	254401  
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #11

Lots of windows is #1 on the wife's list! Even our yacht had to have lots of windows. You know, every once in a while she is right! Lol!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyB View Post
Hi All,

I don't mind getting an older coach, but some campgrounds want you to have something 10 years or newer for longer term.

I also need a coach with a door by the kitchen, not the front seat. I cook 95% of my meals outside on the grill.

I can't imagine doctoring up a slab of ribs, and then having to carry them clear to the front of the coach to get outside to the grill. I'll inevitably drop them in the passenger seat.

The outdoor passenger side of my coach is like a deck on a house. Decks normally have a door next to the kitchen, not the living room.

I'm kind of looking at at Sportsman Sportcoach, but the windows are tiny. Not many DP's have a door by the kitchen.

Maybe I just hit a bad spot in RV design trends. Maybe I'll just keep what I have (2000 Georgie Boy) until RV designers figure out folks like windows. They seemed to have figured it out for houses.

Thanks for your input.
Country Coach Veranda is a class A with a side porch. Just solved all your problems. How bout them windows...Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190723-193510_Chrome.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	254413
dannew0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:44 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I agree. If you want windows and an outside feel, look at the Country Coach Veranda. It's a very well built coach.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannew0069 View Post
Country Coach Veranda is a class A with a side porch. Just solved all your problems. How bout them windows...Attachment 254413
They are nice, for sure. Front door leaves one problem unsolved.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, wind, window