Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2014, 06:19 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I probably would not concentrate on engine issues and I would not worry about a parking awl in the transmission. Allison controls the transmission electronically and the lights in the panel should come on no matter what. As one other poster mentioned your unit has air parking brakes. I would concentrate on the advice mentioned concerning power to the panel such as bad grounds. If the Neutral lockout relay does what I think it does then it is going to stop the starter from turning over when you are not in park. It is not going to have any control over the power getting to the panel. If you have a chassis wiring diagram or can call Newmar and call one. I do not know what chassis Newmar uses although for some reason I want to think they make their own. If it is not a Newmar chassis for instance if it is a Freightliner call their tech support and find out where to look for the circuitry that powers the Allison.

IF you decide you have to have it towed to a repair shop. First I would have a mobile mechanic out there to fix it if possible. Second before towing your vehicle make sure the tow company knows how to do that. Pulling the axles Using the proper equipment on the front if it has independent front suspension etc.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did not realize that it was a DP with air brakes. So there is no parking pawl as such. Hey what can I say. I don't have much of a background with diesel chassis.

TeJay
Old 09-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
seabird,
You said that you suspected that you needed to get the transmission into park or neutral. Is there a reason why you can't get it into one of those gears??? Why did you make that statement??? So if you can't get the gear selector into park or neutral it's because the weight of the vehicle on a slope is keeping the parking pawl locked so you can't easily move it. It will move but it will take some effort.

Let us know what your response is to that question before trying others things. No vehicle will start if it's not in park or neutral.

TeJay
There are pushbuttons for forward, neutral, reverse and mode. With the switch on there is no LED on the screen and no response to the pushbuttons. The batteries are new and charged, the other gages are alive. The relays on the ecu board tested good as did the two 10 amp fuses. Are you saying I will have to tow the MH to a level spot in order for the transmission to work?
Seabird1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #18

Get a large truck mechanic under the coach. Within about 5 minutes he will have found a loose connection near starter. On my coach all my ignition power dropped to 3.3 volts, no lights in the dash or on my shifter. If you have an engine kill switch at the engine, measure your voltages on each side of the switch then turn the switch off and measure again, if the voltage goes to 12 volts on one side of the switch the problem is to the other side and I am betting it's towards engine.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
Get a large truck mechanic under the coach. Within about 5 minutes he will have found a loose connection near starter. On my coach all my ignition power dropped to 3.3 volts, no lights in the dash or on my shifter. If you have an engine kill switch at the engine, measure your voltages on each side of the switch then turn the switch off and measure again, if the voltage goes to 12 volts on one side of the switch the problem is to the other side and I am betting it's towards engine.

I agree with your diagnosis but not sure why the mechanic has to be large. A little truck mechanic might be able to reach the hard to get at spots. LOL.. The Devil made me say it....

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seabird

I think you are getting good advice but maybe some of them are misreading your post. I understand you to say you have all your gauges working everything has power except the Allison control panel. When you turn your key on there are no lights on the Allison. That is very specific information. There is probably no power going to the Allison control panel. I do not know where the power feeds into that at. I advised earlier to find out what type of chassis you have and call the chassis manufacturer and ask them where the power is for that. The other thing you need to do is check for the ground wire going to that panel and make sure it is ground. I am sure you are going to find that you either have a bad ground, blown fuse to the Allison control panel, or a bad connection where the power goes to the control panel somewhere between it and the battery that feeds it. In my opinion until you fix the above you are wasting your time looking at anything else.

You know you have power to your dash, You know the batteries are up since you have power. The engine is not going to turn over unless the control panel tells it that the transmission is in neutral. That is not going to happen until you get power to that panel. Fix the power to the panel first then see what happens.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome