Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2021, 04:44 AM   #43

We drove through Atlanta on 10/14/20 ( Wednesday) and back to home on 10/18/20 (Sunday). Like you I was concerned with traffic. In my research I determined time of day is more important than anything else. A lot of talk about 285 being just as congested or more so than 85 through downtown. As others have said avoid rush hour if at all possible. We planned on hitting the Atlanta outskirts on 85 North around 10-11 am or so and hoped to be through by no later than 1. That was on Wednesday and we had no issues. The traffic did stop one time about 30 miles out due to a wreck but after that it was smooth sailing. When we returned on Sunday there was a 10 mile back up due to bridge construction on I-85 south. Once we got through that Atlanta was OK since it was Sunday. Plan the time of day to hit it and that is about all you can do IMHO. Alternative routes around it for our trip were time and mileage prohibitive.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
Don't go through town, take the 285 bypasses east or west around the city. You can pick up 75 or 85 North or South from 285.
Tegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
We go through 2-3 times a year. I prefer the 285 W bypass most of the time, but if you happen to hit Atlantal before 10am on a weekend, you can usually sail right through on 75/85.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:10 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
We have traveled thru Atlanta several times in our motor home with a dinghy. We always use the HOV lanes. Mostly around 10AM northbound or 2PM southbound.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #47

Eastside around Atlanta.. 441 south. Commerce to Macon.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:24 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
I have found the best time to drive through Atlanta is between 12.05 AM and 4:30 AM. Any other time is crazy. Sunday at 1PM may be ok but my experience lately has been traveling south bound. The area north of the bypass has been awful. Congested is an understatement.
Gearshift39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #49

Alanta GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitcharoo View Post
I will be driving southbound thru Atlanta on Sunday, January 31st. With all of the road construction in the Atlanta area is there anything in particular I should watch out for? With the lane shifts just North of downtown Atlanta I am concerned about being able to change lanes quick enough to make it thru the Atlanta traffic with a 38 foot motorhome towing a full size pick-up truck. I anticipate going thru Atlanta between noon and 1:30 PM.
I always go through the center and never had a problem
45 ft Prevost and 26 Ft car hauler.
Glang11082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:43 PM   #50

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drove thu on Monday, the bypass, going north on I75 485 the 285 to 85. It was mid day and traffic was moving well, no construction obstructions. Hope this helps. I often go right on thru central Atlanta and that works if not rush hours.
Good travels
Twing
Twing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #51

Quote:
I will be driving southbound thru Atlanta on Sunday, January 31st. With all of the road construction in the Atlanta area is there anything in particular I should watch out for? With the lane shifts just North of downtown Atlanta I am concerned about being able to change lanes quick enough to make it thru the Atlanta traffic with a 38 foot motorhome towing a full size pick-up truck. I anticipate going thru Atlanta between noon and 1:30 PM.
I've driven an RV with toad through Atlanta many times and always stay on I85 though town as semis aren't allowed (don't take I285). Weekends are definitely better unless some event is happening. For the past ten years or so my preference is to drive through after midnight. For either direction I will stop at the closest rest stop and sleep till midnight, then get up and start driving. I try to avoid major metro areas but generally use the midnight technique when difficult to go around. Going around Atlanta is a miserable process since the road routings just don't cooperate.
BillBinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #52

Going thru Atlanta with a DP

No problems, size matters when going thru Atlanta. Steady speed, not to fast and you will be fine.
skitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #53

I'll go against the grain. I prefer 75 to 285, the suburbanites are worse trying to get off at the next shopping center IMO.

There is traffic everywhere, Miami is crazier than ATL to me, but my point is, plan for it.

I figure if all the semi's can drive it, than I can too. The problem is, people get in a hurry. I don't. Leave space in front of you. When it gets filled up, back off. You will get through.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #54

Quote:
Yeah... A tough one! Just do NOT stay on 75 or 85 through the center of town. Those lanes are very narrow! Take the 285 Beltway anytime but Peak Travel Hours! Lots of Trucks, but you can do it!!
Rich 1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:39 PM   #55

Going through Atlanta on a Sunday is a wise choice. I went through early, about 8:00am on a Sunday morning and did not find the traffic any worse than Houston at that time.
captlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #56

Avoid rush hour like the plague that it is near Atlanta. Better yet, bypass it.
PeterFTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome, motorhomes