Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #1

Motorhomes with dash TV's

Hi, we are looking at used diesel motorhomes (2005-2011), and find that almost all of them have either a overhead dash TV or it's located on a side rear wall 90° from the sofa. We both have neck issues and I really don't think it would be comfortable watching TV wrenching our necks. I like the newer motorhomes that have the main tv in front of the sofa-can't afford those☺ What is your experience with those viewing angles? Doesn't you neck start hurting? Has anyone relocated the tv to a more favorable viewing position? Thanks for your response.
janniemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #2

I saw a recent post " Installing a mid coach TV" or similar title I'll see if I can track it down.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the original poster. It just never made any sense to us why anybody would want to sit on a couch and turn your head 90 degrees to catch some TV! There are many coaches out there now that have the TV that can be watched comfortably. Ours happens to be a gasser Georgetown 378TS that we full time in and would never trade it for a diesel with the TV over the dash.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

Ours is on a rear wall facing forward and we love it. Both captains chairs swivel all the way around so they are facing the rear wall. Also perfect for laying on the sofa or sitting in a dinette chair. My neck was broken years ago and #1 & 2 vertebrae were fused. I like this setup much better than our old one over the dash. Good luck.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 10-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine has overkill on TV's! There is one above the dash that we use all the time. Then another on the opposite kitchen wall by the bath entrance. We can swivel the Captains chairs around to watch that one or use our swivel recliners to watch the front one or the kitchen one. My favorite spot is to lay on the sofa and watch.

I will never understand 2 TV's so close to each other like that. Ridiculous to me but that is the way it came. I think we have turned on that kitchen wall TV maybe 2 times in 6 years.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #6

Front head banging TV's over the dash have never made sense to me. Likewise the same ones mounted on a rear wall. Look for a coach without one over the dash and get creative and install one on the side.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #7

I agree 100% with the OP makes no sense. As a test I changed a couched in the TV room at home to watch TV at 90 degrees. Never again. Wife can lay on a couch and watch, I cannot.

I can see Sunday NFL ticket on those multiple TVs showing different games, wife's going to love it.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #8

DH and I bought a 2003 DSDP 3802 with a dash TV. You could only see all of the screen from the far end of the sofa. The other 2 spots on the sofa could only see 1/2 the screen. We removed the tv and remounted it using a swivel arm mount. So now, we can place the tv over the passenger seat, in front of the entry door, which allows us to view it comfortably from any seat in the living area with no neck problems. I think the mount cost us about $30. Well worth it, and I like the TV not taking up other space when we're not using it. A bungee cord stretched between the cabinet handles on each side holds it in place when we're not using it, or we're on the road.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #9

We deleted the overhead TV when we ordered our coach so we have cabinets across the front now. No more head banging while coming up the steps. The TV is above the fireplace across from a double recliner. Although, that presents a problem too. Now, it's hard to stay awake for an entire movie.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Modifications are usually possible. If there are two opposing couches, a common setup, remove one couch and have a cabinet placed there with a TV, plus maybe a chair. Or maybe a televator could be installed behind one couch. differing ways to get it done.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is also tv over kill, one above the dash, one over the door in font of the couch, two drop downs (one in each bunk), and one in the master. I don't really use the one over the door as the one above the dash works great and can be seen from the dinette, captains chairs, and when I am laying on the couch. But I don't go camping to watch tv either.

Tags
dash, motorhome, motorhomes