Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Looking at the title again, it just occurred to me that this is a pretty spiffy dilemma to have!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The Newmar has one nice feature, Comfort Steer, which only Newmar offers..
Not quite true. Entegra has it, so does Newell. They go by a different name but it is the same system.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #17

In answer to R. Wolds questions. I'm not sure how much driving style would play in a 2,000 mile trip with one coach following the other on the interstate and both at full power going up several miles of 7% incline, but the Bus used less fuel at the same fill ups. If I remember correctly, My sons loaded weight was about 4500# more than mine. My empty weight is under 39,000#. FWIW, his Newell weighs 60,000# plus the 14,000# trailer. He needs all of his 600 Cummins. I get my annual service done at a local IH truck dealer and the chassis is done at a Peterbilt Truck dealer 32 miles from home. It's actually closer than my Tiffin dealer. Tiffin contracts with many Truck shops around the country. They are as easy to find as a Freightliner would be. I have no doubt that the comfort Drive is very nice and is just as adjustable on the Newell. With the tag axle and the powerglide chassis, I get a relaxed drive in most conditions. If the cross wind gets up over 35 mph with gusts higher, I generally call it a day.

To the OP. To be really fair in a comparison, the AB should be compared to the Dutch Star. In my opinion, the Bus is above the DS, but the MA is a half step up from the AB. Both are very nice and the fact that the AB you are looking at is a year newer than the MA they might be closer to equal value. After you look and drive each, go with the one that feels right. Neither one will be wrong.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
In answer to R. Wolds questions. I'm not sure how much driving style would play in a 2,000 mile trip with one coach following the other on the interstate and both at full power going up several miles of 7% incline, but the Bus used less fuel at the same fill ups. If I remember correctly, My sons loaded weight was about 4500# more than mine. My empty weight is under 39,000#. FWIW, his Newell weighs 60,000# plus the 14,000# trailer. He needs all of his 600 Cummins. I get my annual service done at a local IH truck dealer and the chassis is done at a Peterbilt Truck dealer 32 miles from home. It's actually closer than my Tiffin dealer. Tiffin contracts with many Truck shops around the country. They are as easy to find as a Freightliner would be. I have no doubt that the comfort Drive is very nice and is just as adjustable on the Newell. With the tag axle and the powerglide chassis, I get a relaxed drive in most conditions. If the cross wind gets up over 35 mph with gusts higher, I generally call it a day.

To the OP. To be really fair in a comparison, the AB should be compared to the Dutch Star. In my opinion, the Bus is above the DS, but the MA is a half step up from the AB. Both are very nice and the fact that the AB you are looking at is a year newer than the MA they might be closer to equal value. After you look and drive each, go with the one that feels right. Neither one will be wrong.
I,was thinking that if the MA driver, with the confidence of the ISX, just leaves it in drive, and the AB driver, with the slightly lesser ISL diligently shifts to keep it in the power band, you could have an unequal comparison on the grades. But a lot of ifs...

Anyway I agree with all of the above, and stand by my statement that this is a nice dilemma to have What the younger folks would call a “first world problem”, which I think is kind of dumb since all my problems are first world problems, even when I’m in a third world country.

I have kind of a five year plan for a 40’ MA (or....?) once I get tired of gunk-holing with my short Ventana - for now I still want to be able to squeeze in to smaller, more remote and primitive camping areas. But I’m building my RV storage to accommodate up to 45’
Old 08-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Not quite true. Entegra has it, so does Newell. They go by a different name but it is the same system.
I may be wrong....but I don't see it on the Entegra lineup and Newell is not in the Class the OP is talking about.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for the great feedback. It is great knowing that support is available in this kind of decision. DW and I plan to look at both of these units in the next 10 days. What we dont know because is all we have seen is pictures is the physical condition. From there we can make a decision and get an Inspector to look at the unit.

Thanks again.
Phillieagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I may be wrong....but I don't see it on the Entegra lineup and Newell is not in the Class the OP is talking about.
Entegra started using comfort drive/ ez steer in either 20 or 21. I have it on my 21 as well as my last two newmars. Wouldn’t own a coach without it.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
Thanks to all of you for the great feedback. It is great knowing that support is available in this kind of decision. DW and I plan to look at both of these units in the next 10 days. What we dont know because is all we have seen is pictures is the physical condition. From there we can make a decision and get an Inspector to look at the unit.

Thanks again.
That and maintenance records. My Ventana and Bay Star each only had 17k on them when I bought them and there was proof of maintenance done on schedule for both. If these coaches are in the 30k miles range, this is even more crucial.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:08 PM   #23

Phillieagle: A couple of years ago my wife and I were doing the same thing you are...looking at and deciding between the MA and AB. We ended up choosing the MA, but I'm sure we would have been happy with either. I will say that one thing that really impresses me with the MA is how quiet it is. A major deciding point for us was the stick built construction of the Newmar and all the insulation. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was the two-stage Girard awnings that were available on the AB in the years we were looking at and not on the MA. If it's ever that important to me, I could always replace those, but I couldn't change the build. After 1 1/2 years and about 10000 miles, we haven't regretted our decision yet.

Good luck in your decision.

Tags
air, allegro, allegro bus